pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is some sight……. we had them like that years ago but Im not sure that they stay in the ground and rise over time in cycles or what causes them to appear..
The female moths don't fly, she just sits on the trunk of the tree while the males flies around servicing her.
Lays a egg sack that is a creamy colour, which contains around 300-1000 eggs.
They then hatch the following year, crawl up, eat, drop, crawl up, eat, going through the full until full grown and pupae stage.

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 9.01.00 AM.png

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Mrs and myself were looking at some big maples at the gate of the shop, plus the timber posts. I counted close to 60 of these egg sacks on 3 trees and 2 posts!
Now times this by all the trees = carpet bombing like the MNR did back in the 70's.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was up to me I'd just Paint the yard green,I Hate mowing :occasion14:
One time years ago we cleared a acre to plant grass.Not knowing we went out and spent a lot of money and bought Kentucky Blue variety as the pictures always look so beautiful.
Over time when the wind blows other weeds etc.around there’s no guarantee that our yard will look like the advertisements.
I don’t seem to mind the mowing it’s the trimming that is hard for me
Take care

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The female moths don't fly, she just sits on the trunk of the tree while the males flies around servicing her.
Lays a egg sack that is a creamy colour, which contains around 300-1000 eggs.
They then hatch the following year, crawl up, eat, drop, crawl up, eat, going through the full until full grown and pupae stage.

View attachment 2019726
Thank you for your research and great information

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning billb. Yah, the prices of everything are up, but garden seed, plants and the such are really up. I try to grow most of my vegetable garden from seed. These are getting ridiculous. Small starter plants even worse. Here’s a shot of part of my back yard. Redwoods in the background. Been mowing the grass for months. I’ll be getting a load of composted cow manure from a local dairy for the garden tomorrow.
Mike

Attachments

• 24925AE7-DE57-4517-97EC-D02FB5186B13.jpeg
    24925AE7-DE57-4517-97EC-D02FB5186B13.jpeg
    984.6 KB · Views: 21

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning billb. Yah, the prices of everything are up, but garden seed, plants and the such are really up. I try to grow most of my vegetable garden from seed. These are getting ridiculous. Small starter plants even worse. Here’s a shot of part of my back yard. Redwoods in the background. Been mowing the grass for months. I’ll be getting a load of composted cow manure from a local dairy for the garden tomorrow.
Mike
Nice yard.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike
Mike the garden centers are starting to stock vegetable plants now..last year I had luck with tomato. green beans cucumber seeds..I hope to have a nice green lawn like yours one day my friend and good luck with your vegetable garden

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Here in the West where it's gettin drier, people need to get away from the idea of a planted well manicured lawn they have to constantly water. Some places they already are. I need to get away from the idea of washing my truck every time I pass a car wash too, I guess, haha!

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Here in the West where it's gettin drier, people need to get away from the idea of a planted well manicured lawn they have to constantly water. Some places they already are. I need to get away from the idea of washing my truck every time I pass a car wash too, I guess, haha!
I agree I see on the news very dry and low water conditions in the West.
We are getting some rain today but it seems to be dry here also.
I bought some grass seed to fill in but since we have a well I won’t be over watering.
Also we did not get the snow accumulation we are accustomed to and that may be a red flag
Take care

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the west is in a dry cycle with low rain fall and snowpack. Here along the coast here in Northern California we are fortunate for a very temperate climate with our marine flow influenced weather. My yard hasn’t been watered since about August of last year. It was just slightly less green then, without watering, but I watered it because of the fire situation not far away.

We get our water from our own well also Bill, and have a septic tank and leach field for disposal. Except for the water that evaporates, all the water we use goes right back into the ground where it came from.

Mike

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,m not a lawn guy.For my lawn I like the color brown best,as in dry summer time.That means it,s not growing and I won,t have to mow the damn thing so much.Ain,t wasting no good water on no stinking lawn!:laughing7: No dis meant to all you green lawn guys, I,ll admire yours and compliment you on the color and thatch but not for me.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its ok I run across a lot of middle class folk think they are the only ones that are Americans, I bet 90 percent don't put up there American flag or pledge allegance to said flag, I now I do everyday of my life...
I also have to fill my two rigs up one diesel one gas and it kills my pocket book I live in rural California....
Gt.....
Feel like I should be walking in the gas station backward shouting "please don't hurt me! Was pumping this afternoon & felt sick for the flatbed driver on the next pump . Sheeze

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes the west is in a dry cycle with low rain fall and snowpack. Here along the coast here in Northern California we are fortunate for a very temperate climate with our marine flow influenced weather. My yard hasn’t been watered since about August of last year. It was just slightly less green then, without watering, but I watered it because of the fire situation not far away.

We get our water from our own well also Bill, and have a septic tank and leach field for disposal. Except for the water that evaporates, all the water we use goes right back into the ground where it came from.

Mike
We are in third year of no mesurable rain here in my little desert, no spring time this year again, just wind and dusty mess on and in Everything, I'm starting to get worried about my well, the guys drill Wells for a living and assure me there's plenty down below.
They also assured me they put my tools back after using, not,
so Im really sceptical...

Everything just dry as a bone, one plus is there's not many bugs to eat my garden except the dadgum flying grasshoppers nothin kills them not even drought .
We should be hitin 100s in a week for the next 6 months...
Enjoy the sea breeze Mike.....
Gt....

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased a 55 pound bag of clover seed.. I needed it to seed the farm here.. and there goes $500.00.. Ouch

Micheal

Mike
Mike thanks I hope our lawn will look as good as yours
We have a well and septic also and last fall had to get another well pump.
We are in third year of no mesurable rain here in my little desert, no spring time this year again, just wind and dusty mess on and in Everything, I'm starting to get worried about my well, the guys drill Wells for a living and assure me there's plenty down below.
They also assured me they put my tools back after using, not,
so Im really sceptical...

Everything just dry as a bone, one plus is there's not many bugs to eat my garden except the dadgum flying grasshoppers nothin kills them not even drought .
We should be hitin 100s in a week for the next 6 months...
Enjoy the sea breeze Mike.....
Gt....
Third year with minimal rain I hope that trend will change for you this year..The well company had to drill down nearly 300 feet for our well and we had to get a new well pump last year(ouch)
I remember going to Kansas when the temps were over 100 plus and seeing all the large grasshoppers also

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased a 55 pound bag of clover seed.. I needed it to seed the farm here.. and there goes $500.00.. Ouch

Micheal
That is incredible I hope that the seed will germinate nicely.
I would like to see some pictures someday
Take care

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree I see on the news very dry and low water conditions in the West.
We are getting some rain today but it seems to be dry here also.
I bought some grass seed to fill in but since we have a well I won’t be over watering.
Also we did not get the snow accumulation we are accustomed to and that may be a red flag
Take care
Issued at 16:24 Thursday 07 April 2022
Rain, heavy at times is expected. The ground, already near saturation, has little ability to absorb further rainfall.
A significant rainfall continues into tonight.

We had more snow this year than we have had for the past 7 yrs.
My clay pond has 3 ft more of water already over last year, so that's a good sign.

Lawns=curb appeal=labour

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Issued at 16:24 Thursday 07 April 2022
Rain, heavy at times is expected. The ground, already near saturation, has little ability to absorb further rainfall.
A significant rainfall continues into tonight.

We had more snow this year than we have had for the past 7 yrs.
My clay pond has 3 ft more of water already over last year, so that's a good sign.

Lawns=curb appeal=labour
Seems that the larger accumulations of snow was not in our area for some reason as I only got the driveway plowed one time when there was four inches.glad to hear that your area will be ok take care

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wanting to plant some regular rye grass in my yard last fall. It was $85 for 50lbs. It doubled from the year before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread