Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am assembling a list of US Army Great Seal button backmarks 1902-present.. This seems to be the most complete list available anywhere. With the help of TN members, I am occasionally adding and improving upon it. So far I have over 100 different backmarks. Anyone with a Great Seal button backmark or backmark variation not listed please post the pic and Ill add it. :icon_thumright: The thread is already so long its not necessary to add anything already pictured. Thanks.

This is how it all started:

I bought 2 bags of small Great Seal of US buttons for a buck at a flea market. Can someone help me date these backmarks? I believe they are all post 1902. I cant find anything else online.

1- Top row SCOVILL MF'G CO WATERBURY (back ungilted)
2- SCOVILL MF'G CO WATERBURY
3- Bottom CITY BUTTON WORKS - N.Y.
4- WATERBURY BUTTON CO.

Attachments

• MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 7,201
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 7,282
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 8,633
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Subdued U.S. Army buttons weren't on GI clothes manufactured after 1923. It appears that Waterbury still offers the button though: 80730 - Military - Waterbury Button
Waterbury Companies (plural) indicates it was made after 1941 or so, when the company changed their name (from Company, singular) to reflect their more diverse products.

Kyle, I note that yours appears to be the chinstrap button from the side of a visor cap, which I'm not sure BigCy was including -- but I don't know that he's not, so I guess this is more a question for him. Also, BigCy, are you including cuff buttons, which often have abbreviated marks, due to limited space on them?

Yes I was including abbreviated cuff buttons and I probably should add cap buttons too but there are more Great Seal button backmarks and variations than I could ever have imagined and I have not been able to update the backmark list. I still have my collection but I spend most of my time in my camper in the swamp now with bad eyes and a weak internet signal and I have no objection if anyone wants to try and make an updated list. I just haven't had the time to spend on this project. I think Rockermike was working on a book. I wonder if it was ever published?

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I was including abbreviated cuff buttons and I probably should add cap buttons too but there are more Great Seal button backmarks and variations than I could ever have imagined and I have not been able to update the backmark list. I still have my collection but I spend most of my time in my camper in the swamp now with bad eyes and a weak internet signal and I have no objection if anyone wants to try and make an updated list. I just haven't had the time to spend on this project. I think Rockermike was working on a book. I wonder if it was ever published?

I e-mailed him about the book but never got a reply.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Attachments

• great seal page_3.jpg
    great seal page_3.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently acquired two more buttons. One is a K.G.Luke PTY.LTD. Melb. Aust. and the other is a The Cincinnati Regalia Co. The Luke button is in McGuinns book but it is listed as K. C. not K.G. and the Cincinnati button is not in the book.

Attachments

• K.G.LUKE PTY.LTD. MELB.  AUST. 23mm back.jpg
    K.G.LUKE PTY.LTD. MELB. AUST. 23mm back.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 66
  • K.G.LUKE PTY.LTD. MELB.  AUST. 23mm front.jpg
    K.G.LUKE PTY.LTD. MELB. AUST. 23mm front.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 58
  • The Cinicinnati Regalia Co. back 23mm.jpg
    The Cinicinnati Regalia Co. back 23mm.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 58
  • The Cinicinnati Regalia Co. front 23mm.jpg
    The Cinicinnati Regalia Co. front 23mm.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

arche-foto

Apr 1, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great seal buttons in former German Southwest Africa

518/5000
Hello,

I want to present 5 buttons that have all been found in the past years in Namibia, the former colony German South West Africa.

ami-knoepfe_04a.jpg us-armee_knopf_modern_a.jpg

Nos. 1-4 all related to the Herero uprising
No. 1 + 2 of bases of the German troops
No. 3 + 4 from a remote battlefield between German troops and Herero

The single button was found on the old main street east of Windhoek.

Diameter No. 1 + 3: 15,5 mm
Diameter No. 2 + 4: 22,8 mm

Who can provide more information? How do these uniform buttons come to the Herero Uprising in South West Africa ???

much thanks - have a nice time - so long - from arche-foto

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1graeman

Mar 7, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This past weekend I went out to a small town in southern Arizona and I found 4 buttons.I have not cleaned them up yet. The information that I have on them all except the one with no writing on it is a Scovill 1850-1865, Horstmann 1893-1935 and a C. Kenyon 1930.
1A4F2651-1E20-4B25-A025-ED7433A79BA8.jpeg
46D1F33C-71C1-4B51-B44F-6924EBBA04A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past weekend I went out to a small town in southern Arizona and I found 4 buttons.I have not cleaned them up yet. The information that I have on them all except the one with no writing on it is a Scovill 1850-1865, Horstmann 1893-1935 and a C. Kenyon 1930.
View attachment 1823118
View attachment 1823119

The first button looks civil war era. The two Great Seal buttons By Horstmann and Kenyon date from 1902 to 1910. The way to tell is by the lack of a rim around the outer edge of the button. The rim was added in 1910. I am not positive about the stud one but it may date to the same time period but no earlier than 1902.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
518/5000
Hello,

I want to present 5 buttons that have all been found in the past years in Namibia, the former colony German South West Africa.

View attachment 1817504 View attachment 1817515

Nos. 1-4 all related to the Herero uprising
No. 1 + 2 of bases of the German troops
No. 3 + 4 from a remote battlefield between German troops and Herero

The single button was found on the old main street east of Windhoek.

Diameter No. 1 + 3: 15,5 mm
Diameter No. 2 + 4: 22,8 mm

Who can provide more information? How do these uniform buttons come to the Herero Uprising in South West Africa ???

much thanks - have a nice time - so long - from arche-foto
When was the Herero uprising? 1904-1908?

Upvote 0

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am assembling a list of US Army Great Seal button backmarks 1902-present.. This seems to be the most complete list available anywhere. With the help of TN members, I am occasionally adding and improving upon it. So far I have over 100 different backmarks. Anyone with a Great Seal button backmark or backmark variation not listed please post the pic and Ill add it. :icon_thumright: The thread is already so long its not necessary to add anything already pictured. Thanks.

This is how it all started:

I bought 2 bags of small Great Seal of US buttons for a buck at a flea market. Can someone help me date these backmarks? I believe they are all post 1902. I cant find anything else online.

1- Top row SCOVILL MF'G CO WATERBURY (back ungilted)
2- SCOVILL MF'G CO WATERBURY
3- Bottom CITY BUTTON WORKS - N.Y.
4- WATERBURY BUTTON CO.
WHERE can I see this list?
Thanks!

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!
As it was updated it was posted in the replies in this thread. I have found some more backmarks but haven't taken the time to post them. The latest list can be found on page 19.
If you get a copy of "American Military Button Makers; Their backmarks and Dates" by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon their is a list in the back of the book , but it is not complete.

Upvote 3

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigCy, I’m currently working on a book for relic IDs and I do have a section on great seal buttons. If you’d like I can include it as an appendix in the book, with credit to you. The book is in the layout phase now and being published by American Digger in 2024. Can you send me a copy of your list?

Last edited:
Upvote 1

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this same button today on the woods of northern WI. If it's WWI era, then it must have come off an army coat reused for hunting back in the day. I can confirm the "The Art Metalworks, Newark N.J."
That one is WW1 era due to the style of rim (raised rim rather than flat) and as I recall the dates of the company narrow the range down a bit more. Company specialized in die cast toys.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BigCy, I’m currently working on a book for relic IDs and I do have a section on great seal buttons. If you’d like I can include it as an appendix in the book, with credit to you. The book is in the layout phase now and being published by American Digger in 2024. Can you send me a copy of your list?
I do not have a list other than what is here on this thread. I have been busy and havent had any time to work on it or update it. You dont need to give me any credit. There may be some errors as it was a work in progress.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
There are many Great Seal button backmarks and some of them are rare. I had no idea there were so many. I have a tin of Great Seal buttons back in town and some that are not on this list but I dont have time to fool with it. Too many hobbies. Keep checking eBay the rare ones show up from time to time. I see they cut my profile avatar in half and made it out of focus lol, unless its my signal. I have a very weak internet signal here.

Upvote 2

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not have a list other than what is here on this thread. I have been busy and havent had any time to work on it or update it. You dont need to give me any credit. There may be some errors as it was a work in progress.
Hello my friend,

I appreciate your great effort in assembling this list! I’m going to talk to my editor and see if we have a place for this in the appendices of the book, and see what time I have to continue to compile the list. Miss ya on the forum my friend!

Upvote 1

Hester

Nov 24, 2023
Thanks!
I don't know if this will help you, but perhaps you already received answers for your questions.

Backmark
Estimated production
Comments
THE ART METAL WORKS, NEWARK, N.J.
1897 - 1905​
THE AUSTIN CO. PROVIDENCE R.I.
CITY BUTTON WORKS N.Y.
WWI​
Made by Erlanger & Liebmann
CITY BUTTON WORKS NEW YORK
1877 - 1923​
SCOVILL MF'G CO WATERBURY [back ungilted]