What's new

Guidance

Ronreiter

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 16, 2017
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend asked if I could help determining what to so with an artifact she has had in her possesion for many years and finally wants to know what to do with it.
Looking for a place to start. Only information I have on it is that it was found in the Gulf about 30 miles off of Tampa Bay. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I am hoping that I have attached an image to this post.

Ron Reiter
 
Nicest one I have ever seen. Maybe, if I could see it.
 
Wow, Now that is a beauty.....I would almost have to say put it back where you found it and forget about it......
 
Figured out how to attach files, I think.

Attached.




A friend asked if I could help determining what to so with an artifact she has had in her possesion for many years and finally wants to know what to do with it.
Looking for a place to start. Only information I have on it is that it was found in the Gulf about 30 miles off of Tampa Bay. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I am hoping that I have attached an image to this post.



Ron Reiter
 

Attachments

  • 9F2D1778-FFC4-4284-AA6D-D20E166854D2.webp
    9F2D1778-FFC4-4284-AA6D-D20E166854D2.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 913DF2F7-0956-4FB0-B69F-F7710AD51A6D (1).webp
    913DF2F7-0956-4FB0-B69F-F7710AD51A6D (1).webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 95
looks like raphael was battling splinter and lost his sai. In all seriousness though, Really interesting piece. Im thinking contacting a museum or someone would be beneficial to helping you out.
 
WOW! There are professional cleaning techniques that can truly turn that piece into a collector's item. Please... PROFFESIONAL restoration only! TTC
 
Thank you. Maritime museum? Definately don't remove the crust right?
Ron

looks like raphael was battling splinter and lost his sai. In all seriousness though, Really interesting piece. Im thinking contacting a museum or someone would be beneficial to helping you out.
 
Be gentle with that,,
The only problem with seeking help from museums,
especially in Florida, is that they are going to want to know how it came to be in your possesion or where it was found. If it is the real deal, , you may lose it to state authorities.
 
To my untrained eye that looks like it could be a 17th century main gauche. A parrying dagger used in the weak hand as a companion to a rapier. Definitely worth getting to a proper expert in marine artifacts.

on8833__25.webp
 
Check with local dealers who deal with this type of item and good luck.
 
Thanks much for that Info. Would have never thought of that. I have no idea of where it was found only 30 miles off of Tampa Bay. Do you think electrolosis would be effective?
Ron

Be gentle with that,,
The only problem with seeking help from museums,
especially in Florida, is that they are going to want to know how it came to be in your possesion or where it was found. If it is the real deal, , you may lose it to state authorities.
 
Thank you. I would agree with that. Could have saved a butt load of time if I would have checked with you guys first.
Ron
 
Thank you. Probably not too many dealers in Indiana. Mel Fishers was no help at all.
Ron
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom