What's new

Gun experts?? New pics added

texan connection

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2006
Messages
4,565
Reaction score
79
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Looks like a LC smith I once had Any ideas on what kind of gun it is
 

Attachments

  • 100_1142.webp
    100_1142.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 668
  • 100_1140.webp
    100_1140.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 655
  • 100_1145.webp
    100_1145.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 661
  • 100_1151.webp
    100_1151.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 349
  • 100_1155.webp
    100_1155.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 354
Re: Gun experts??

I think we are going to see more pictures of the chamber, loading mechanism, how it opens, etc. to be of much help. Also a measured guess as to caliber or gauge and the ammunition possible for this gun would be nice.

Great find and condition.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

....................looks like a Shotgun !! Not sure if it is a 20 or 12 gauge??.....Joe
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

unfortanetly its Stuck shut. I did find some #'s on the bottom but cant make them out. It as well as a few more were found in the remains of a house fire, This one was givin to me. Dont know what Im gonna do to open it at this time
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

Soak it in "Break Free" several days and it will eventually loosen up...I hope! :D Is it a double barrel? Hard to tell from the pics. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

It's a double barreled, break barrel shotgun in 12 gauge. For those that don't know guns, that larger vertical tab on the "rear" is the release to open the shotgun, you push that sideways and then it would normally open.

Now I don't see any sort of markers marks which means it's going to be hard to nail down unless someone recognizes the scroll work on the underside.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

the release is called a Anson & Deeley boxlock action,
without closer side view and trigger pics it looks similar to this
 

Attachments

  • 14099.webp
    14099.webp
    4.6 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

I think it is in terrible shape TC :tongue3:

so bad of shape you probably don't want it ::)

and should send it to me :wink:

so I can made a new set of woods for it

My poor deer head is very very lonely honest ::)

lol


nice find :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

If you can get the shotgun to open there should be a maker mark on the top of the frame underneath the barrels.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

Drache said:
It's a double barreled, break barrel shotgun in 12 gauge. For those that don't know guns, that larger vertical tab on the "rear" is the release to open the shotgun, you push that sideways and then it would normally open.

Now I don't see any sort of markers marks which means it's going to be hard to nail down unless someone recognizes the scroll work on the underside.


Definately a double-barreled shotgun. 12 gauges have by far been the most popular throughout history. However, there is no way to tell from the picks that it is in fact a 12 gauge. This all depends on the age. There are several different ones. I myself have a 10, 12, 16, 20, and 28 gauges. They have made several others throughout the history of firearms. Most are obsolete (and not popular).

Again, its most likely a 12 gauge, strictly because of popularity/demand/manufacture, but there is no way to tell solely from the picture.

Have you thought of taking a small grinder to the barrel? Perhaps to get more detail off of it such as manufacturer/model #, etc? You probably aren't going to ruin any value (if there even is any), due to the fact that's its already been through a fire.


DH24
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

Thaks yall. Im thinking its just a wall hanger, But I do want to I.D. it. It may even be loaded so Ill probaly get a bucket to soak it in for a few days.
"Funny, the guy had 4 of them When I asked what are you doing with those, he said "I dont know why dont you take one and see what you can do with it, I'll probaly fix one up".
Its definetly no smaller than a 12 gauge.
I'll try to get a pale of Break free as Monty suggested
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

TEXAN Connection said:
Thaks yall. Im thinking its just a wall hanger, But I do want to I.D. it. It may even be loaded so Ill probaly get a bucket to soak it in for a few days.
"Funny, the guy had 4 of them When I asked what are you doing with those, he said "I dont know why dont you take one and see what you can do with it, I'll probaly fix one up".
Its definetly no smaller than a 12 gauge.
I'll try to get a pale of Break free as Monty suggested

TC

if you think or decide you want to use it later PM me I'll get it magnafluxed for you to make sure it is safe
or if you know folks that do it then I would recommend you do that. I have a single shot that belonged to my great grandpa and it looks like it is ready but it has a hairline crack inside it down the barrel a bit. You can't see it with naked eye.

Now if you want to trade it for a working safe 12 gauge gun I'll gonna say please give me first dibs on it. :)
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

If you can afford a bucket of BREAK FREE, you have more money than most. I found a Tompson in California in a hollow log. One big ball of rust. I dropped it in a barrell of diesel and every week or so I would pound on it wirh a rubber mallet. After about a year, I got the bolt open and a year after that, I traded it for a .22 rifle. Try Diesel and OOOO steel wool.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

kenley said:
If you can afford a bucket of BREAK FREE, you have more money than most. I found a Tompson in California in a hollow log. One big ball of rust. I dropped it in a barrell of diesel and every week or so I would pound on it wirh a rubber mallet. After about a year, I got the bolt open and a year after that, I traded it for a .22 rifle. Try Diesel and OOOO steel wool.

I will never not look in a hollow log again, another cool find
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

Couldent find and Close pics on the boxlock Sniffer.
Might have to think about your offer bridge.
I think its time to change the oil in my old PU
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

also remember stuff like
Break Free
WD - 40
etc

are corrosive

so once you get it opened and going get that
stuff off and place some real protective lubricates
on it.

One way to give you an idea if it is loaded also is to place a small wooden dowel down the barrel
like a black powder gun you would do. Measure/mark how far it goes down
and then place dowel on outside and see how far down barrel you were.
even then if it goes all the way down still be careful till your 100 percent sure.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

Bridge End Farm said:
also remember stuff like
Break Free
WD - 40
etc

are corrosive

so once you get it opened and going get that
stuff off and place some real protective lubricates
on it.

One way to give you an idea if it is loaded also is to place a small wooden dowel down the barrel
like a black powder gun you would do. Measure/mark how far it goes down
and then place dowel on outside and see how far down barrel you were.
even then if it goes all the way down still be careful till your 100 percent sure.

Good thinking bridge, Its not loaded unless spent shells. Of course I once launched a Drum stick (as in a rat-a-tat-tat) over 200 ft in the air with just a empty shell and the primer ;D (sometimes you just need something to do)
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

TEXAN Connection said:
Bridge End Farm said:
also remember stuff like
Break Free
WD - 40
etc

are corrosive

so once you get it opened and going get that
stuff off and place some real protective lubricates
on it.

One way to give you an idea if it is loaded also is to place a small wooden dowel down the barrel
like a black powder gun you would do. Measure/mark how far it goes down
and then place dowel on outside and see how far down barrel you were.
even then if it goes all the way down still be careful till your 100 percent sure.

Good thinking bridge, Its not loaded unless spent shells. Of course I once launched a Drum stick (as in a rat-a-tat-tat) over 200 ft in the air with just a empty shell and the primer ;D (sometimes you just need something to do)

ROFL

man you have to go back to the old days of cans wrapped up and tennis balls launched using lighter fluid

It also worked great getting your bait out deep when your bank or surf fishing and want to really get out there.
I just change to a potato instead of the ball
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

My uncle uses a sandblaster to get rust off of a lot of old barnyard farm tools. It makes them look great. If you have access to one...you could try that as well. You can get very fine particles to use that most certainly would only improve the condition. DH24
 
Upvote 0
Re: Gun experts??

why not try a light electrolysis on it, at least overnight, it may break enough of the rust free to at least get it open
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom