had a monster day selling some coins today. ;-)

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
As you all know, I not only look for the elusive silver halves out here, but bought some silver eagles too. Today I sold some.

I sold two monster boxes off, taking a good profit. Lightened my safe a lot, and now if the price of silver goes up I'm good, since I still own a bunch of eagles plus the halves, quarters and dimes, and if it goes down I"m good, because I sold some off.

I still think it is going higher. But I hedged my bet. And ... "you never go broke taking a profit". ;-)

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Wow.. you had two monster boxes? How much did you get in at? That's hell of an investment.

Congrats that it paid off.

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sound strategy.....sell a portion....maybe 20-25%.....still have most of it if it goes up......good job.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Never hurts to take some profits off the table. Greed will always pay the price. I sold some at $36.05. Will sell alittle more if it gets over $40.00. I will put the cash aside and buy on big dips :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 said:
As you all know, I not only look for the elusive silver halves out here, but bought some silver eagles too. Today I sold some.

I sold two monster boxes off, taking a good profit. Lightened my safe a lot, and now if the price of silver goes up I'm good, since I still own a bunch of eagles plus the halves, quarters and dimes, and if it goes down I"m good, because I sold some off.

I still think it is going higher. But I hedged my bet. And ... "you never go broke taking a profit". ;-)

Congrats JRF, I can remember when you posted you had purchased them. It wasn't very long ago either, I believe it was around the $20.00 range. Very nice job.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did the same thing last month..
not a monster box but i sold 7 rolls of eagles for a very nice profit. and only held them for 9 months before.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I followed Mr Fox's lead and sold some stash also. I walked into a fellow's shop with 2000 40% halves and walked out with 96
one hundred dollar bills. I may dig a little deeper into my safe for more goodies to sell this guy.

I love profit. Jim

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
I for one think you did the right thing.
I am on both sides here for I am a crh'r plus
I buy silver and gold.
This week alone I have paid out over 12 thousand dollars to
just two people who cashed in their 90% half dollars.
I personally think that a profit in hand is always worth more then
a "maybe" in the future.
Well done my friend.
HH GL
Dan

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
In the stock market, selling off part of your holdings is called "scaling out of a position".

Any time you can grab some high end profits, you should.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It's always good to take profits just like in the stock market.

If I bought coins as an investment, it's good to do so just like a stock.

However I've kept the majority of my holdings from CRHing since I figured that they were essentially shares of silver stock bought at rock bottom prices. In fact, you couldn't buy them at any lower price. So, I just let these ride. Even if the price of silver goes down, my overall holdings remain the same because I'll have more shares of them to add to the mix to prop up the total value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread