What's new

Hammered silver coin found in south jersey help id

chark21798

Full Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
211
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
Location
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
Hey all found this silver coin in a field here in south jersey. Just not sure what it is. SIZE ABOUT OF A QUARTER and is silver. Any info would help me out. thanks Mark
 

Attachments

  • mark 031.webp
    mark 031.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,754
  • mark 030.webp
    mark 030.webp
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,681
Upvote 0
Nice coin Mark...sorry I can't help with an ID. You have to love NJ....I found a Spanish cob last year in a park.

Happy hunting and good luck on getting an ID.

NJ
 
The back of the coin looks VERY much like a German mark with the 2 headed bird on the reverse. Similar to the one I just found on Google. I'm still researching.

http://www.sammler.com/coins/images/fr_080205_02.jpg

EDIT: Getting somewhere now I think.

http://www.muenzauktion.com/saenn/pic/a.1978.jpg

EDIT:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/Coin_of_Leopold_I_3_Kreuzer_1670.jpg

I know I'm getting close now. Real close.

EDIT:

http://128.192.145.172/foreign2/672ost3k.jpg

My guess is it's probably Archduke Leopold I and around 1660 in date (if of course it's real).

EDIT:

My final answer is...

Austria
-Silver 3 Kreuzer (21mm), 1670-SHS
-Silesia, AVF
-Leopold the Hogmouth bust/crowned 2 headed eagle
 
The_Griffyn said:
The back of the coin looks VERY much like a German mark with the 2 headed bird on the reverse. Similar to the one I just found on Google. I'm still researching.

http://www.sammler.com/coins/images/fr_080205_02.jpg

EDIT: Getting somewhere now I think.

http://www.muenzauktion.com/saenn/pic/a.1978.jpg

EDIT:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/Coin_of_Leopold_I_3_Kreuzer_1670.jpg

I know I'm getting close now. Real close.

EDIT:

http://128.192.145.172/foreign2/672ost3k.jpg

My guess is it's probably Archduke Leopold I and around 1660 in date (if of course it's real).

EDIT:

My final answer is...

Austria
-Silver 3 Kreuzer (21mm), 1670-SHS
-Silesia, AVF
-Leopold the Hogmouth bust/crowned 2 headed eagle

GREAT ID! :headbang: And an incredible find. BRAVO!
 
Awesome coin. I agree with Buckleboy.
Dman
 
It's great when you find the unusual, not the same ole same ole every time.
Kudos.

Lee
 
Ver Nice find
 
That's gettin back into the good stuff now ain't it! :thumbsup:
 
everyone thanks wow that sure looks like the back for sure can read arch. U think around 1660 wow that is my oldest coin for in jersey. thats amazing thanks for your research. mark
 
You're welcome. For my troubles you could cut it in half and send me whichever half you don't want. :thumbsup:

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
It is Austrian. Consensus is approx a 1670 Leopold I.

We are going to cut it up and split the spoils amongst those who got "in" on the thread. The owner just doesn't know it yet. :tongue3: :tongue3:
 
1670 in Jersey :o chark shoots, he scores ! :thumbsup: Man, U guy's want to slice it up like a pizza.. ;D :laughing7::what do u think chark :icon_scratch: )
 
I'd like two slices and a coke.
 
CMDiamonddawg said:
1670 in Jersey :o chark shoots, he scores ! :thumbsup: Man, U guy's want to slice it up like a pizza.. ;D :laughing7::what do u think chark :icon_scratch: )

Very nice find indeed for the US.

Bear in mind, IF its not a recent loss that it has enough wear to have been in circulation until at least 1750 :icon_thumright:
 
If i could split up i would. But you all wouldn't get much real thin, I'm newer to SJ how do u think it got here. Just for silver trade or someone from Austria. only hunted this field once just might have to get back there and see if any more there. Only other coins were Indian head wheat cents, lots of restaurant trash. thanks again all for help mark
 
Nice find, as far as how it got there, not knowing exactly the setting with the field, but any coin can be dropped anytime after mintage up to and including recently. Unless in undisturbed ground, one can never be 100% sure it was lost during its circulation period, but usually that is the case, and as Cru said, with the wear on the coin it circulated for quite a few years and easily could have been lost in the mid 1700s to even the late 1700s. Or it could have been lost more recently, you just never know what people carry in their pockets.

Most of the 1600 era coins we have found are usually found at late 1700s sites and usually have a tremendous amount of wear. The oldest we found at a isolated homestead was a 1595 French Douzain and of course the area was not settled anytime near that time frame and most other relics found at that site were from 1770's to well into the 1800's.

Regardless, that is a super find, to have such an old silver coin which can be dated is tops on the list for finding, so again congrats on a special find.

Don
 
Don in SJ said:
Nice find, as far as how it got there, not knowing exactly the setting with the field, but any coin can be dropped anytime after mintage up to and including recently. Unless in undisturbed ground, one can never be 100% sure it was lost during its circulation period, but usually that is the case, and as Cru said, with the wear on the coin it circulated for quite a few years and easily could have been lost in the mid 1700s to even the late 1700s. Or it could have been lost more recently, you just never know what people carry in their pockets.

Most of the 1600 era coins we have found are usually found at late 1700s sites and usually have a tremendous amount of wear. The oldest we found at a isolated homestead was a 1595 French Douzain and of course the area was not settled anytime near that time frame and most other relics found at that site were from 1770's to well into the 1800's.

Regardless, that is a super find, to have such an old silver coin which can be dated is tops on the list for finding, so again congrats on a special find.

Don

Don,
Well explained, much better than my attempt.

chark21798,

Yes, definately go back & hit it hard, dig all iffys, & hopefully you will get other evidence as to why it was there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom