What's new

Hand held axe???

digordie

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2012
Messages
361
Reaction score
125
Golden Thread
0
Hey guys.. found this odd worked piece of some kind of flint stone. Just wondering what it is for sure. Hand held axe, bone breaker, tool of some sort?
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20121211_231202.webp
    ForumRunner_20121211_231202.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 213
  • ForumRunner_20121211_231215.webp
    ForumRunner_20121211_231215.webp
    32 KB · Views: 217
  • ForumRunner_20121211_231226.webp
    ForumRunner_20121211_231226.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 175
  • ForumRunner_20121211_231239.webp
    ForumRunner_20121211_231239.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 207
  • ForumRunner_20121211_231256.webp
    ForumRunner_20121211_231256.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 0
Big!! Good looking material I have no idea what they were doing with that. They put a bit on it though.I am sure someone will have a better answer. I like it though.
 
I am just not seeing anything specific that warrants your find as a genuine artifact, but maybe some others may say otherwise.
 
Ok! I think that I'm seeing a spade of sorts. Where are you located? Just your state should do. If you aren't far from me, I'll post a pic or two from my collection for comparison.
 
NC field hunter said:
Ok! I think that I'm seeing a spade of sorts. Where are you located? Just your state should do. If you aren't far from me, I'll post a pic or two from my collection for comparison.

I am from illinois. Found this piece near some early archiac points.
 
I would say a hammerstone, appears to have battering - use marks on both ends.
 
It looks like a core and is used as a supply stone for Arrowheads or other tools. I see no other use of it other then that. They would go to a quarry that they got there lithics from and travel back to the village or campsite with these large chunks of flint or chert and start breaking those down into arrowheads and various other tools that they would need at that moment....................Hope this helps...................GTP(Chris)
 
Get-the-point said:
It looks like a core and is used as a supply stone for Arrowheads or other tools. I see no other use of it other then that. They would go to a quarry that they got there lithics from and travel back to the village or campsite with these large chunks of flint or chert and start breaking those down into arrowheads and various other tools that they would need at that moment....................Hope this helps...................GTP(Chris)

Are cores shaped like this generally?
 
I think Get-the-Point is correct in what he described only I refer to them as quarry blanks. Also they could easily have been used as hammer stones until the time came to break it down.

ForumRunner_20121212_134303.webp
 
You will really never know the whole story but it looks like good material it was worked by man, and as said it may have been used some in its present form. I do not think it is a finished tool. I think it was just the beginning its journey. Nice example and will display well.
 
Thanks to all for your input. I wasnt sure what it could be and am glad to have all your help.
 
Thanks to all for your input. I wasnt sure what it could be and am glad to have all your help.


What this place is for :) Good to have you on board sharing your finds.
 
I see what appears to be damage from use. It may be a hammer stone as stated above. I personally do not think it is a blank.
 
NC field hunter said:
I see what appears to be damage from use. It may be a hammer stone as stated above. I personally do not think it is a blank.

Ya i see that it has use too. The bit feels as though it has been ground pretty good.
 
Id say a tool also. Maybe used for a grinder seeing you said the tip feels like you described. I truly believe they started with the natural piece and used it from time to time and as it would wear down they would make some thing else with it till it got to the point of no return. Nice material
 
Id say a tool also. Maybe used for a grinder seeing you said the tip feels like you described. I truly believe they started with the natural piece and used it from time to time and as it would wear down they would make some thing else with it till it got to the point of no return. Nice material

Just do not see it.......
 
Get-the-point said:
Just do not see it.......

Not sure of your location GTP. But, it could be a regional thing. I see agricultural tools really often with the same shape, wear, and lithic type. I personally think most of these type tools were altered very little, or, in many instances, none. Quick and crude, for the most part.
 
I love them and have a lot we found.



image-3953122533.webp



image-1858769402.webp



image-3000540495.webp

They could have been CroMag or even Neanderthals. The one has flute in it like a freaken Cumberland or Clovis. I know that does not prove anything, but fluting definitely disappears mid archaic.
 
And I forgot to mention that rock. I think it is a hand ax. The one image that shows the widest shoulders - symmetrical on both sides, by the way - shows the wave-shape you leave when you create a rough perform of any point. The percussion strikes drive those flakes off, and the leave half-oval (bottom third, actually) shapes. Next to each other they look like small waves. It is a dead giveaway for a stone rough Paleo hand ax. The roughness in no way proves or indicates age, but the places found at the sites in europe's and South Africa known to be 100,000 years populated show tools that look exactly like that. Among European collectors they draw big dollars. Watch the auctions there and you will think eBay is an artifact heaven.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom