What's new

Haraheys

kansa54

Full Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2013
Messages
234
Reaction score
327
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The wife has me doing yard work today, so since I can't go relic hunting, I thought I'd post a pic of some Haraheys that I have found. You would think that living in Ks., I would have found more but I mostly find broken ones. Hopefully the texas and oklahoma members, will post more. haraheys 001.webpharaheys 003.webpharaheys 004.webpharaheys 002.webp
 
Upvote 0
Charmin, your Grandpa and Mom found some really nice pieces. Thanks for showing the Neosho blade. Are they common in your area? Also, the Harahey you found is sweet!
Thanks Kansa54! And yes, I think the Neosho blades are common in this area.....I found a broken one just up the creek from where I found my Harahey.

I read something in a post on Arrowheadology that Harahey knives are associated with the Wa$hita culture. There is a lot of good info on that thread and an awesome picture of artifacts that Lyle Nickel put together.....here's the thread on Arrowheadology:

Wa****a Frame

This is a GREAT thread! Really enjoying the pictures guys! :icon_thumleft:
 
KBP and Whitson, Have you guys ever found any Neosho blades or another term that I have heard is Sekan? They are two bevel instead of four and are slightly notched. I know they are sometimes associated with haraheys.

The Haraheys we have found in north central Kansas were found on Central Plains Tradition (CPT) village sites and they were the predominant knife style used there. Two of the documented CPT sites we found have recently been dated circa A.D. 1200 to 1400 which according to Perino’s information predates the age of the Neosho which he dates circa A.D. 1600 to 1750. Perhaps Neanderthal can provide more current dates on the Neosho since he is located close to the region of their primary distribution.

To answer your question, I am not aware of any Neosho knives being found this far north on these CPT sites although we have found two knives on CPT sites that might be mistaken for that type. These two appear to be Haraheys which were broken and then modified in order to be hafted.
 
Last edited:
neosho 001.webpneosho 002.webp
KBP, you seem quite knowledgable on Haraheys, was wondering what you thought of this blade. It was found in Lyon co. ks. on a multi component site that has produced a couple of Haraheys. It appears to have been resharpened at least once. Could this be a Neosho blade or maybe a Harahey before resharpening? Also, it has been heat treated.
Anyone else with any thoughts on this, please join in.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom