What's new

Haraheys

kansa54

Full Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2013
Messages
234
Reaction score
327
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The wife has me doing yard work today, so since I can't go relic hunting, I thought I'd post a pic of some Haraheys that I have found. You would think that living in Ks., I would have found more but I mostly find broken ones. Hopefully the texas and oklahoma members, will post more. haraheys 001.webpharaheys 003.webpharaheys 004.webpharaheys 002.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice!

I've got a Knife River Flint 4 bevel from South Dakota. I'll see if I can get a pic up later.
 
Nice artifacts, what did they use them for? I dont think we have those here in GA
 
They are a knife type rock. Beveled on four sides.

OK, yeah I dont think they have them here. Ive never seen one found here anyways.
 
Rock, they claim that they were for skinning Buffalo. It's a really cool knife , because you have four cutting edges on them.
Twitch, good eye spotting the alibates flint. The nearest alibates source is over 300 miles from where I found the knives.
GWhitson, I found most of my artifacts in Chase and Morris Co.
 
Interesting knives, thanks for sharing! :icon_thumleft:
 
I thought I'd post a pic of some Haraheys that I have found. You would think that living in Ks., I would have found more but I mostly find broken ones. Nice finds kansa54 and don't you just hate finding those damaged ones. On the Plains, especially in the Central Great Plains the Harahey knives are most always associated with Late Prehistoric bison hunting cultures and appear to have evolved on the Plains to be used primarily as a bison skinning and butchering tool.
 
Last edited:
I thought I'd post a pic of some Haraheys that I have found. You would think that living in Ks., I would have found more but I mostly find broken ones.

Nice finds kansa54 and don't you just hate finding those damaged ones.

On the Plains, especially in the Central Great Plains the Harahey knives are
most always associated with Late Prehistoric bison hunting cultures and
appear to have evolved on the Plains to be used primarily as a bison skinning
and butchering tool.

Thanks for sharing. Is the brown chert Niobrara ?
Most of my broken ones are broken right in half.
 
mines mostly from montgomery
 

Attachments

  • 2013-11-07_17-02-14_536.webp
    2013-11-07_17-02-14_536.webp
    94.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 2013-11-07_17-02-09_527.webp
    2013-11-07_17-02-09_527.webp
    147.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 2013-11-07_17-01-38_902.webp
    2013-11-07_17-01-38_902.webp
    270.9 KB · Views: 141
KBP and Whitson, Have you guys ever found any Neosho blades or another term that I have heard is Sekan? They are two bevel instead of four and are slightly notched. I know they are sometimes associated with haraheys. I only have two broken examples that I might try to post later on.
 
this is the only one that I think is what yr talking about,sorry about the flash can't get away from it
 

Attachments

  • 2013-11-09_09-28-04_94.webp
    2013-11-09_09-28-04_94.webp
    142.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 2013-11-09_09-28-29_535.webp
    2013-11-09_09-28-29_535.webp
    191.6 KB · Views: 117
NE Oklahoma
Found by my Grandpa & mom:
HARAHEY, CADDO, NEOSHO (1280x870).webp

And this one is a personal find......it came to light after a dozer made a big cut/drain near a feed road:
IMG_7443 (640x387).webpDSC02959 - Copy - Copy.webpIMG_2572 (1280x960).webp
Here's one more---I think its a Harahey, made of Foreacre/Foraker chert. Very rough material!
IMG_2660 (800x479).webpIMG_2659 (800x414).webpIMG_2658 (800x379).webpIMG_2657 (800x391).webp
 
Charmin, your Grandpa and Mom found some really nice pieces. Thanks for showing the Neosho blade. Are they common in your area? Also, the Harahey you found is sweet!
 
neosho blades 001.webpneosho blades 002.webp
Here's a pic of the two broken Neosho blades that I have found.
The other pic is of one that I made trying to replicate a Neosho blade. It is made from Kay co. chert.
I try to replicate pt. types that I am unable to find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom