What's new

Harmonica box?

southernbandit

Full Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2003
Messages
100
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Scottsboro Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Whites DXF
Here you go guy’s,
This was brought to me by a co-worker who found it at a yard sale or flea market.
It’s made of copper, and is 5 and ¼ inches by 2 inches by 1 and ½ inches deep.
We know nothing about it and just want to know if it is old, is it worth anything and
Maybe where it originated from.
Thank You,
Bandit
 

Attachments

  • DSC03574.webp
    DSC03574.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 578
  • DSC03575.webp
    DSC03575.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 582
  • DSC03576.webp
    DSC03576.webp
    55.5 KB · Views: 585
  • DSC03582.webp
    DSC03582.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 582
  • DSC03586.webp
    DSC03586.webp
    98.5 KB · Views: 552
Interesting story on the front :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Yes it has a Interesting story, but what's it telling?
with all the heads in that basket it can't be a good story.
and as you can tell by the ruler it's actually 5 and 1/4 inches long not 3 inches.
I'm somewhat dyslexic sometime.
Thanks,
Bandit
 
Upvote 0
Maybe a voodoo or black magic theme? Did this come from around southern Louisiana? Could possibly be a custom engraved harmonica case.
 
Upvote 0
QUICKSILVER (appletree) said:
yeah the severed heads are strange! maybe for eye glasses?

That was my first thought too - and the size is right for my spec's
Very interesting find southernbandit :icon_thumleft: but you have listed the wrong measurements which is confusing :help: You say 3 1/4 inches, but the ruler says more like 5 1/2 inches.

The scenes look familiar - and religious.
My second thought is a Rosary Beads (or similar relic) case .

Mike
 
Upvote 0
The engraving has an Oriental or Asian look to it. I hope someone can read the name and google it.
 
Upvote 0
Spooky said:
lolz...

I don't "think' those are heads....

Some type of earth grown vegetable or something...

EDIT: That one 'falling' from it gives me pause though..... THAT looks like a 1500s or so stylized 'skull"

Can you get a closeup of the wording?
I think the key lies there..

Is that first word "Alesund?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ålesund

Nevermind, before 1921 it was spelled differently...Aalesund.
I sorta see
'alesrind and egvor'
 
Upvote 0
The first 3 letters look like ale. Then Im lost. The second word ends in the same letter as the first and looks like Erd. :dontknow: The last word or name looks like Egvor, Egnor or Egrod. :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
The name at the bottom is Alesander d'Egvor

But I can't come up with anything on it. I feel that the name must relate to the scene somehow (houses burning and warriors, severed heads, etc.)--and yes that has to be what they are. There is blood coming out of the one on the spear.

The Ottoman Turks were known for stacking up severed heads.

Other than that, I can't find anything else. My hunch was that this was of Eastern European origin due to the style of the engraving.


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
The name at the bottom is Alesander d'Egvor

-Buckles
Great observation on the name. Is there a letter after dEgvor? ...or is that part of the square?

Just a feeling but my first thought was Ghengis Khan.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone, all you guy's ROCK! :headbang:
Sqidman- there are no other markings that I could find and I even pulled the cloth back to look.
72cheyenne- it was found here in Alabama but I don't have any idea where it came from.
Spooky- I'll try and get another picture of the name but it will have to be Monday I don't have it with me.
Trikikiwi-yea I wrote the wrong dimension down it is 5 and 1/4 inches long. As soon as I saw your name I thought
of New Zealand and then I saw where you were from, Wow man if people have never been to New Zealand they should
go visit just once. I was there for a while when I was in the Army and I loved that place. That is some Beautiful country
and some Great people :thumbsup:
Thanks again everyone.
Bandit
 
Upvote 0
Spooky said:
lolz...

I don't "think' those are heads....

Some type of earth grown vegetable or something...

EDIT: That one 'falling' from it gives me pause though..... THAT looks like a 1500s or so stylized 'skull"

Can you get a closeup of the wording?
I think the key lies there..

Is that first word "Alesund?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ålesund

Nevermind, before 1921 it was spelled differently...Aalesund.

They look like skulls to me.
 
Upvote 0
southernbandit said:
and as you can tell by the ruler it's actually 5 and 1/4 inches long not 3 inches.
I'm somewhat dyslexic sometime.
Thanks,
Bandit
You can click on modify and change it so people dont keep guessing the size. :)
 
Upvote 0
looks like an eye glass case . by the way be careful showing that ruler with the UAW alot of folks on here will freak out. goldie
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
southernbandit said:
....
Trikikiwi-yea I wrote the wrong dimension down it is 5 and 1/4 inches long. As soon as I saw your name I thought
of New Zealand and then I saw where you were from, Wow man if people have never been to New Zealand they should
go visit just once. I was there for a while when I was in the Army and I loved that place. That is some Beautiful country
.......
Bandit
Kia ora Bandit :headbang: Thanks for the plug for New Zealand. You are Welcome here anytime.
I'm an old (not That Old!) Army brat, I'll be very familiar with wherever you visited here.
Mike
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom