What's new

Has Anyone Ever Been Assaulted While Metal Detecting? I Was Yesterday Evening

So, my digger may have saved me from a most terrible situation! I think I may now consider seriously getting a cell phone.

Just an FYI, any old cell phone will work. You don't need to have it activated to call 911. I keep one in my jockey box just in case I need to call in an emergency or take pictures of an accident.
 
But it sounds to me like you where in an area for personal drug deal and where risking dead drops. See this in Europe hunting parks in larger cities, pay the dealer and a runner goes and picks up the product and hands it off to the customer directly or places it in another spot for the customer to pick up.

Yeah, that place I went to with Indian Steve last week and found that Model T tire valve cap, I found more expended glue tubes than anything else. Steve had told me this was a "Huffer" place.
 
One must always try to evade and avoid.
However, you dont want to end up dead on the evening news.I carry my .38 revolver when I feel like it.
 
DeepseekerADS pretty much summed it up. Situational awareness is the key. I swing my metal detector with headphones on in (grizzly) bear, wolf and mountain lion territory. For every few seconds I swing my detector, I spend equal time looking around me. I get on a buddy of mine about this, as he's like a kid in a candy store with a two second memory when he's detecting.
I've also trained myself (muscle memory) to deploy my quick release knife that I keep in my pocket lightning fast and can deploy my pistol cross drawn in a blink of an eye, no matter what I'm doing while standing up right or kneeling down .
It's well worth practicing movements several hundreds of times to gain these muscle memory acquired skills, even if it is with your plastic digging scoop. It could save your life!
 
I do worry about the time I am bent over using my digger and retrieving a find. Someone could very easily sneak up on you from behind and...

That could definitely "end" bad in San Francisco.
 
instead of a cell phone get a taser. I live in an area with lots of tweakers. I carry one and use it as a last resort. (no never had to yet)
That'll just get you killed! When you see someone on PCP maced OC sprayed (these days) beaten with batons breaking both arms and swarmed by 7 officers keep trying to stand up & swing you'll understand. OC spray???? Every time I had to requal it was no big deal. Now apply that to some tweeker, you better have a backup plan or know how to de-azz the area in a heartbeat!!
 
It's surprising how lost we can get listening and concentrating on the signal in our headphones, and that has the potential to be dangerous.
luvsdux
 
Another reason to carry a firearm and pay attention to your surroundings. One reason also to not go alone.
On a lighter note here's a quick joke.
Two nuts were walking down the street. One was "a salted"!
 
I guess I have been lucky... or... like once stated in another thread... "its my back the #^@K off look" that I have perfected. heh

I always have my head on a swivel... I don't like being "snuck up on" anyway... I always watch people... close... in the distance etc.

Once while detecting early morning at Fort Desoto ... I was down looking for my target (cant even remember what it was) stood up ...

and heard this voice behind me say "what did ya find"...

man... I spun around fast to a Park Ranger who had been standing directly behind me... obviously had been standing there watching me without me knowing.

I had my Garett 2500i w/ phones on.

I knew the Ranger... he laughed... I did not.

I was like "don't do that man"... "you could give someone a heart attack like that."

I was nerve on edge all day after that... and did not like the feeling one bit.
 
Also... I would say I am a pretty good judge of character... generally.
IF I see some tweeker like people I head the other way... IF they cant be avoided... I split.

PERHAPS... because I avoid people while detecting and make it a point to stay away from other people whilst detecting...
and choose times when contact with others is / would be minimal...
This is why I do not... have not... had any... confrontation or story of the likes to post.
 
I do worry about the time I am bent over using my digger and retrieving a find. Someone could very easily sneak up on you from behind and...

That could definitely "end" bad in San Francisco.

8-) The old frying pan I keep hanging down from the back of my belt takes care of these people. It covers a very sensitive area.
 
Anybody carrying a Mace pistol, or considering carrying one?
 
I have more trouble with dogs. People still seem to think it's ok to walk their dog through parks and schools without a leash and then they come tearing after me. I don't know why but dogs don't like a person holding and swinging a long device with gloves and earphones. I guess to a dog we look like a predator. Never been assaulted, I'm a pretty intimidating guy people tell me so maybe why dogs come after me and not people. I keep my one side of my lesche digger sharp as a knife on the bench grinder, I feel pretty safe with that and always have my cell. When at the beach, I'm not worried at all, my stainless scoop would cause some serious damage if needed.
 
Knowing what neighborhood you hunt and letting those know where you are is also important, just like when I go out fishing, absolutely this could have happened anywhere but the risks would be higher in rougher neighboorhoods and using your noggin here help you out in this unfortunate incident, you did the right thing, wearing headphones I tend to look around more often, I also take someone with me if I can always good to have a hunting buddy with you as well.

Glad your OK John.

Happy and Safe Hunting (HASH)
 
Even though I live completely off grid several miles from the nearest town I detect with caution I wear head phones but I only have one ear covered and I always carry a concealed 45 I have had people pull into my property past my no trespassing sings when you confront them with a pistol in your hand and ask what part of private property do they not understand some of the responses you get are pretty stupid out where I live is all private property and people that do not live there think they can just come in and do what ever they want they find out in a hurry just why they should have heeded the signs.

Confronted one guy and his response I could not even believe when I asked what part of private property he did not understand he stated to me he had seen my signs but he wanted to drive on my road anyways he figured out it was a mistake real quick.

I guess what I am trying to say you have to be aware of your surroundings at all times and all places no matter where you are detecting its just the way things are in this day and age
 
Irishgoldhound, I feel your pain with the dogs and people thinking it's ok to let them run free at beaches, parks. Just the other week I had a run in with a little ankle biter (not sure on what kind of dog it was besides small and ugly :laughing7:). He would run up on me from behind and growl at me. I walked a way and he still followed, when I seen his owner I was sure to let her know to keep it on a leash as the sign she walked past clearly stated this as well :BangHead:
 
Yeah even those little ankle biters can take a little chunk out of your leg . I can't stand when people let there dog run loose in parks and schools that clearly state no dogs allowed or all dogs must be kept on a leash.
 
as for me I find that mean dogs get scared when you run at them!!

at 61 if three young guys came at me I would charge them swinging my serrated digger ( at least I hope I would)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom