What's new

Has ANYONE EVER

Interesting post jeff.
I think because they were made of lead . I think if someone came across them way before us they could have used them for making bullets. I was just wondering if anyone else had any input of ideas about how maybe the head waters have moved or changed'
 

The Minneapolis Journal​

Minneapolis, Minnesota · Sunday, June 25, 1911
000aaa.webp
000bbb.webp
 
I got your original post Gare, but haven't heard of those. There is a place in Oklahoma where a similar thing was buried, and I got the location, but unfortunately it's underwater these days and I don't skindive.
 
I was just hoping someone could tell us how much the land and rivers could have changed. 2 of his plates have been reported of being found
 
Father Bonnecamp's 1749 map showing where the French’s lead plates were buried declaring ownership of the Ohio Valley. Many of the lead plates have never been found.

 
I was just hoping someone could tell us how much the land and rivers could have changed. 2 of his plates have been reporte
Gare I am hoping you find this helpful. The short answer is the river hasn't really changed that much over the last 250 years! I put together this document you may find useful using some overlays I worked on and AI. If I have time I might do some lidar as part of a book I am writing on modern metal detecting research. Thanks to Jeff for the map giving me some direction on what to overlay. Seems like I've heard of some similar markers in Indiana as well but I don't recall where I read about those .. maybe the buffalo trace trail which is of particular interest to me.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
I sure appreciate Jeff of Pa's search ability and postings :) Thank you so much Jeff
 
I'm not a Geologist But I Would Imagine some are Closer Some are Farther
and maybe some are in the creek now.

I haven;t heard if he Planted them at the Highest Point at each site.
or th Depth.
Which would have been the Smartest/Obvious Point

But Lead in Soggy Ground ? Should Be a Plus & A minus.
Extra deep, Hard to Detect, But Odds incrrease on them Being where they were Planted,

Don't forget Ignorence of History Also.

To some it was Just a Piece of Scrap . Maybe Chucked to the Side, Melted down for Bullets or Fishing weight .

Played With By Kids who Didn't Read French.

Odds are Still Good at Least Half should be Where they were Buried
 
BTW the Map of the Burial Sites is from Volume 2 of

Report of the Commission to Locate the Site of Frontier Forts of Pennsylvania Volume Two​

1773324722835.webp
 
I did some research and came to the conclusion those plates were turneded into round balls centuries ago.....
 
In 1913 a group of teenagers found a lead plate on a hilltop in Ft. Pierre SD.
It was buried in 1743 by French explores claiming the entire Missouri river valley for the king of France that later became the Louisiana purchas .
Replica of it is in the Verengrye museum in Ft. Pierre sd.
The actual plate will be displayed in the cultural heritage building that has been going through a complete rebuild project. It will be fully open in July
 
WHILE WORKING on the canals here I know they have changed in locations some times and I thought maybe the rivers have changed a bit also
 
WHILE WORKING on the canals here I know they have changed in locations some times and I thought maybe the rivers have changed a bit also
There is NO Doubt some of these Tiny Runs of Water & Creeks,
No matter how Accurate they may have been c300 Years ago
are now dead & Filled in by time, or changed course by Flooding Also.

000aaa.webp
 
How does one determine the gold content of a ring ?
 
How does one determine the gold content of a ring ?
Not sure if this is the Correct Thread for this Questioon.
But if it's not Marked I Think They use an acid Test.



There are also Test Pens
000aaa.webp


1774065839543.webp
 
Last edited:
In 1749, French Captain Pierre Joseph Céloron de Blainville buried six lead plates along the Ohio River to claim the region for France. Only two have been recovered: one found at Point Pleasant, WV (1846), now at the Virginia Museum of History & Culture, and one found at the Muskingum River (1798), mostly melted down by boys before being recognized.
Virginia Museum of History & Culture
Virginia Museum of History & Culture +3
 
I remember reading that at least two were found also.
I'd have to think some got washed away during high water events for sure.
 
Found this -
"The collection contains photographs of a complete lead plate found at the mouth of the Kanawha River. There are also photographs and a print of two partial lead plates discovered at the mouth of the Muskingum River near Marietta, Ohio and near Warren, Pennsylvania. The plates were buried by French explorer Joseph Pierre Celoron de Bienville and his scouting party in 1749. The plates' inscriptions are in French and claim King Louis the XV of France the ruler of the Ohio Valley region. The plates were part of a group of plates placed near strategic tributaries of the Ohio River by Celoron and his party. The expedition and the ceremonies conducted when the plates were buried was intended as a show of force and an attempt to reclaim land for France on which British settlers were encroaching. The collection also includes a photographic reproduction of an illustration depicting the explorers burying a lead plate. Digital images representing two photographs in this collection have been added to this bibliographic record. The collection is accompanied by four copies of the plates' inscription and a photocopy of a newspaper article about the loan of the lead plate discovered near Marietta, Ohio to the city by the Antiquarian Society of Worcester, Massachusetts in 1939."

 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom