Has anyone looked into Solid Silver Flutes for scrap?

kyles974

Jan 31, 2011
With the price of silver, etc.,

I'm trying to figure out if buying a used flute (music instrument) at a "good" price and sell for scrap silver.

I'm almost thinking some don't realize the price of a flute for scrap may be worth more?

From what I understand a solid silver flute weighs 3 pounds. So if you can buy this for a couple hundred dollars, then, well = $$$$$$ :hello2:

Is there something I'm not seeing here?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
even if you know it's silver, 925, at 3 lbs. and 200 dollars at current market price, you would lose your investment real quick and then some

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
Sniffer said:
even if you know it's silver, 925, at 3 lbs. and 200 dollars at current market price, you would lose your investment real quick and then some

You do know that scrap sterling is about $498.00 per pound right now.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
whoops my bad, I was thinking price per pound. I feel pretty dumb right about now :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
kyles974 said:
Is there something I'm not seeing here?
Cool Idea, I had fun researching it a bit just now and it caused me to swap from a lurker to actually having a forum account. I love this website, BTW...

So, this guy actually weighed the flute prior to listing it on eBay. He came up with only 14.4 oz
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gemeinhardt...300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e8e4b934

Then, although the body is solid sterling, the mechanisms aren't. So you have to figure out what the weight would be after the plated mechanisms are removed. This page was interesting because it broke down the components by model number, so you could see what was silver plate vs solid silver. (it varied by model number)
http://www.flutes4sale.com/gemeinhardtflutes.html

I think your idea would work, but you would have to pay very little for it (broken?) and really know your model numbers. Many ebay sellers say "solid silver" but its just the head section.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funny this thread was posted... I was asking about silver flutes not long ago I found part of one and I need to know how can you tell its silver or not...

There are no markings... soo I don't know... its black because it was in the water...
Chukers

Attachments

• flute.JPG
    flute.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,142
  • flute.JPG
    flute.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 808

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Chukers: maybe by using a silver test kit? You'd probably have to file a grove into the metal using a file to get an accurate test.

I'm interested in this entire thread, as well as checking for other instruments as well. Some of the larger brass instruments were supposed to be nickel-silver, but haven't been able to determine the actual silver content of the instruments.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kyles974 said:
From what I understand a solid silver flute weighs 3 pounds.
My daughter has a flute and i doubt that it weighs that much. 3 pounds is a lot of weight for some kid to hold up in the air and play and march (if in marching band) I would guess only 6-8 ounces.

She was terrible on the flute, so we put it away and bought a 500 pound piano. That she was great on. In high school she was in the jazz band and played on main street at Disneyland a few times. (OK, I know. Stop braggin ::))

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chukers said:
funny this thread was posted... I was asking about silver flutes not long ago I found part of one and I need to know how can you tell its silver or not...

There are no markings... soo I don't know... its black because it was in the water...
Chukers
Take a pair of needle nose pliers & crack one end. You should be able to see with a loupe or magnifying glass if there is brass in it (plated) or solid. If you can't find a silver test kit, drop in to your local pawn shop. Let them test it, give you the low end rip off price then tell them you need to think about it & head on home with your new found knowledge. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread