Has your detector[s] paid for itself ?

Has your detector[s] paid for itself ?

• Total voters

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
No. Every time we go out I always seem to be the one paying. :happysmiley:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes in finds and great memories.... since 1977

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately, the crusty old wheats, indians, buffalos, and V-nickels that I hunt for, along with the infrequent silver dime, just don't buy much at the old detector store nowadays.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately, the crusty old wheats, indians, buffalos, and V-nickels that I hunt for, along with the infrequent silver dime, just don't buy much at the old detector store nowadays.

Yes but a couple grand in clad + jewelry got me from a used Bounty hunter to a slightly used Minelab Etrac and accessories plus a few other nice machines in between. Not bad for four years hunting. Old coins are the goal for many, but the clad and jewelry pays the bills.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine paid for itself the first year everything since then has been gravy, sorry poker term.But I am not sure if the gas and batteries have made me break even.Although the joy of being outdoors Trumps the small loss if there is a loss.

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
it all depends on how much you swing it. if you put in the hours they will . if you think you will pay it off in two hours a month and that is your main point of doing M Ding find a new way to spend your time.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My cheesy Bounty Hunter paid for itself AND it's successor, my M6.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think the second day it did , 14 kt gold ring valued at 180 bucks, paid 158 for a Ace 150

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Cashed in well over $700 in clad alone since I bought my AT Gold 2 years ago. Found several silver coins, hundereds of foreign coins, many pieces of gold and silver jewelry and quite a few valuable relics too but have not sold anything yet. I hunt twice a week or more so it adds up quickly. Still can't believe it sometimes that people lose so many valuable things just so I can come along and claim them, finders keepers forever! HH! :icon_thumright:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every detector with the exception of one has easily paid for itself. The one exception is the Garrett Ace 400 which just has to many shortcomings and anymore gets left in the rack.

Last edited:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found enough to pay for all my equipment but haven't sold much. I've been extremely lucky. You shouldn't enter this hobby thinking it is self funding but if you work hard and luck is on your side it can be. I'm in the process of a very expensive upgrade now and will pay for it from my collection. But I'm here to tell you, it's not easy, at least for me. I have a hard time letting go. Lol!

HH RN

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one coin that if I were to sell it would pay for both my machines 10 times. Last year I took 2 chains and a heavy platinum ring to my local jewler and sold them. I was able to buy a nice 2004 ford f-150 crew cab. Its used well but in great shape and I drive it to work everyday !!! Both chains were found here at local swim holes. 1 was 56 grams 14 k the other was 72 grams 14k. I forget the weight of the ring but it was big heavy and nice. It was found in ankle deep water too. Im proud of the fact that my current daily driver was purchased with proceeds from metal detecting booty !!! I dont think I will ever sell the coin. If I find another then I would sell one. This is the only place in the world to find them

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MOST, never find enough to pay for their machine and equipment. Heck, MOST never find enough to pay for their gasoline. The people belonging to this forum are more interested in, and devoted to, the hobby. I would guesstimate that maybe 1/3 of the folks here have actually come out on the "paid for it all" end. And less than that have actually profited from the hobby. Unless you are detecting at least four-days a week, your odds are VERY low. It is the exception that keeps us all going! :skullflag:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found over $600 in scrap metal since I bought my Ace 250 in 2013. Add to that the $450 in clad and you can see that I'm way ahead of the game. Of course, I probably spent 1,000 hours finding the stuff, so I'm actually "working" for about a buck an hour! LOL!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Almost every detector i ever had paid for itself a couple of times over.... not a hard thing to do if you understand it ,and take it to a good spot "do research"
I used to sell them and after i would sell one to a newbie... i would tell them i will go with you till you find your first coin ...to show them the detector worked and to show them they could find a coin with it at their own spot not my spots.
Well one new guy names Pete K. bought a ( Tesoro Side Winder) the new "U Max Surface Mount Technology" we went to his house the very first target was a woman's 22K Gold Diamond Ring worth over $1000.00 so ya it is done some times.
My T2 paid for itself the first Week two pewter USA buttons ya !
Gary

Last edited:

JasoninIowa

Nov 16, 2012
Ankeny Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My F2 paid for itself and I am well on my way to buying an AT pro with my finds. I combine detecting with picking up pop cans, in Iowa we have a 5 cent deposit so they add up faster than zinc pennies!

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A man was making fancy decorative boxes in his wood shop. His neighbor stopped by and was impressed with the quality and craftsmanship. Are you selling those his neighbor asked. Yep, he replied, 1 million dollars each. Wow, you gonna sell those for a million bucks each? Yes, but I only need to sell one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread