What's new

Heart Attack Time??

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
2,917
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I've been lucky enough to get a few places to hunt around Charleston. Most are soggy bogs that have been logged, horse pastures, and other "great" places.

I take what I get.

I hunted a timbered bog this past weekend and wound up with one flat, slick button and some crap.

I looked at the pile on the table this morning and decided to look at it one more time and then toss it. I washed stuff off and was tossing it in the trash can.

I washed this piece off and thought I could see some letters or something so I thought I could tell what telephone pole it came off of. So I used a little cleaner on it.

Letters started to appear - "S" then "ER" and a "18" I hit the floor. I picked myself up and finished cleaning.

It ain't in the best shape, but it's a SLAVE TAG!!!!

Gotta be my best find of the year. They say compared to finding these 30 miles from Charleston, gold coins are easy.

It's ugly. But it's mine and I HAD to share.

Daryl - still shaking a bit
 

Attachments

  • SlaveTag.webp
    SlaveTag.webp
    61.2 KB · Views: 7,159
  • TagFront.webp
    TagFront.webp
    167 KB · Views: 6,311
  • TagBack.webp
    TagBack.webp
    95.4 KB · Views: 6,290
Upvote 0
BioProfessor found one, now you have a pic to display, with yours


1826 Charleston Slave Hire Badge. SERVANT. No.1677. LAFAR in a prepared, rectangular punch on the back.
Appearance of Extremely Fine in places and an impressive looking badge. Square shaped with clipped corners.
Holed for suspension. 199.2 gns. 49.6 mm. x 54.6 mm. *CHARLESTON* in a prepared lunate punch at the top.
SERVANT underneath in a prepared, rectangular punch. No. in a prepared, square punch, 1677 in individual
number punches below. 1826 in a rectangular logotype punch below. Deep brown and green with areas of verdigris.
Some minor surface roughness on the front. Lightly dished, the front bowed towards the viewer, believed to
add additional strength to the badge when worn. Rare, as are all slave hire badges of the 1820's and 30's.

http://www.stacksarchive.com/viewlo...M=&PHPSESSID=fa0ad5b4fe8816a6fc7c9b27750fa1ef

http://www.stacksarchive.com/viewcat.php?auction=ST0106&heading=15647&headinglevel=1

what your tag/badge looks like not bent
 

Attachments

  • ST01061023a.webp
    ST01061023a.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 347
Wow...That's one incredible find. Great piece of history you got there!! Congrats on Banner :headbang:
 
HA! I told you if you poked around hard enough you will find something good~! LOL

Daryl, I know wetalked about this slave tag and you know it is really nice nad a find of a life time but did you share your other find here? The James Type II Rifled Projectile? I would think that find wouldbe a banner find too since it is really rare with having the sleave around the rifled vents.


Both are on my to find list and you got them~!!!!! Hey buddy, know how you really want my US buckle????? LOL J/K


Great find Daryl, we will get out again soon....that is if it doesn't snow, rain or a holiday doesn't fall on the weekend, lol

Mike
 
Daryl~
Amazing find! You must be on a cloud. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
 
Even in that condition it is an awesome find! Congrats and HH, Mike
 
I read that those tags can be traced back to find out who it was.

you also might be able to find the persons modern day relatives i,m sure they would love to have it


cool find
HH
Shawn
 
Awesome find! I know a guy who can restore it for you!
 
A true piece of history! Maraculous reovery!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
 
I'm with Cheatham, I'd have to research to find descendants. Probably a useless effort due to so many fires back then, but it would be a nice thought. As for tearing it off and discarding it, I'm afraid I'd be doing that, too. I'm not a nice slave. Give me my freedom and up your's! Don't tie nothing 'round my neck, folks! This is the first I've heard of "slave tags," so don't know the history other than this thread. Can someone shed more light on the subject? If only from the Charleston area, could it have had something to do with the actual trading at the harbor? Thanks, Noodle.
 
Great find Daryl. I thought it was not going so good with the searching? This proves otherwise. And for $ 14,000 its cheap too. I would however reduce the price somewhat, deducting your fun time at, well lets see, $ 400 a hour for a professor? :P

Does yours look like the other (whole) one?

I have had the experience that you had with the 'junk' many times. For instance everytime I go through my 'junk' coins, and you know I have enough, I always find a silver one that I have missed. How that is possible I don't know. I have also found in my larger 'junk box' even a bronze age axe, in perfect shape. That I found when I first started detecting (then only really looking for coins, did not even know about artifacts then.

I had saved it because I thought that is one neat piece of copper (bronze), stupid now to think such. But glad that I did save it, even in my trash junk box. Someone spotted it once when he was visiting me. So, always go through your junk box every once in a while, and let someone else look through it too, you should be surprised to see what they find...

Also congratulations with making (finally) the banner. I was also very surprised to see that your wonderful one hole 2 gold coins did not make it. Funny how that works here....
 
BioProfessor said:
I've been lucky enough to get a few places to hunt around Charleston. Most are soggy bogs that have been logged, horse pastures, and other "great" places.

I take what I get.

I hunted a timbered bog this past weekend and wound up with one flat, slick button and some crap.

I looked at the pile on the table this morning and decided to look at it one more time and then toss it. I washed stuff off and was tossing it in the trash can.

I washed this piece off and thought I could see some letters or something so I thought I could tell what telephone pole it came off of. So I used a little cleaner on it.

Letters started to appear - "S" then "ER" and a "18" I hit the floor. I picked myself up and finished cleaning.

It ain't in the best shape, but it's a SLAVE TAG!!!!

Gotta be my best find of the year. They say compared to finding these 30 miles from Charleston, gold coins are easy.

It's ugly. But it's mine and I HAD to share.

Daryl - still shaking a bit

YOUR absolutely RIGHT...IT IS YOURS!!!! I would've taken it in that condition ANY DAY!!!! A BIG CONGRATS on

one helluva find my friend!!! That is still on my list though I need to make my way back down to Goose Creek

where I use to live before I can get me one as the only real slave tags are from the Charleston area! WOW, what

a awesome way to find it too....an unexpected piece of metal that you were about to throw away... :hello2: :hello2: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: KUDOS!!
 
Very nice. Find more.
 
OMG!

That makes a whole LOT of bog-sloggin' worth it, doesn't it?

WOW!!!!

I salute you- I know what those timbered bogs look like, 'cause I live on the edge of one (I'm in the GA lowcountry rather than SC, but it's the same sort of landscape). You're a bigger man than I, to go slogging around in them with a detector. I'm not even as hardy as our relic boys who go bushwhacking in the woods. I guess I spent too many years as a sissyfied coinshooter who got spoiled by all those manicured lawns and parks. I respect the guys who have the patience to go in those rougher places to hunt.

PS- one o' these days I will be the person who digs the first known Savannah slave tag, haha. (If I remember correctly, Savannah and I think New Orleans also issued them like Charleston did, but for some reason, only the Charleston ones are known today.)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom