What's new

Heart Attack Time??

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
2,917
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I've been lucky enough to get a few places to hunt around Charleston. Most are soggy bogs that have been logged, horse pastures, and other "great" places.

I take what I get.

I hunted a timbered bog this past weekend and wound up with one flat, slick button and some crap.

I looked at the pile on the table this morning and decided to look at it one more time and then toss it. I washed stuff off and was tossing it in the trash can.

I washed this piece off and thought I could see some letters or something so I thought I could tell what telephone pole it came off of. So I used a little cleaner on it.

Letters started to appear - "S" then "ER" and a "18" I hit the floor. I picked myself up and finished cleaning.

It ain't in the best shape, but it's a SLAVE TAG!!!!

Gotta be my best find of the year. They say compared to finding these 30 miles from Charleston, gold coins are easy.

It's ugly. But it's mine and I HAD to share.

Daryl - still shaking a bit
 

Attachments

  • SlaveTag.webp
    SlaveTag.webp
    61.2 KB · Views: 7,159
  • TagFront.webp
    TagFront.webp
    167 KB · Views: 6,311
  • TagBack.webp
    TagBack.webp
    95.4 KB · Views: 6,290
Upvote 0
SO THAT'S WHERE MY COLLAR FELL OFF!

Thanks for finding my old collar tag. Please return it. It has sentimental value (you know, my old master and all). :wink:

Best-Mike
 
BioProfessor said:
I think you are right. I may just have it flattened and mount it between 2 pieces of plexiglass.

Yeah, I'll take two US gold over a banner post. ;D

Daryl


My early owner ID'ed, mason ring was kind of the same deal. It's all there, but broken, and for a while I thought it would be better looking like a ring. But now I am very content as is, and being flat it's easier to display with my other finds. It is what it is and not like I'm going to wear it so who cares. :thumbsup: Maybe some day I'll consider getting it fixed but no hurry.
 
Yes, a 'grabber' for sure!

This is one item on my to find list in this lifetime!

Wow! :thumbsup:
 
:o OH MY GOODNESS!!!! :o What an amazing find, D! :o

I can only imagine how proud you must be of that find! Many congrats to you!! :notworthy:


Nana :)
 
Hi Gollum,

I thought somebody might recognize it. I always make it a habit to return items I find to their owner. No problem.

Just send me your address and a enough to cover the postage and handling (you know the cost associated with the finding of this small piece of rare copper in the middle of nowhere that's been in the ground for about 175 years or so and 1300 miles away from home). Let's see, that would be 5 detectors purchased, about 4000 hours of ground sweeping time, 1258 AA batteries, 9125 miles of travel, and 6 diet cokes. Ah, $14,000.00 should cover that. So the total Handling and Postage would be $14,000.34.

Hope you enjoy getting it back.

Daryl
 
Fantastic find! And it goes to show you; NEVER throw away trash until you thoroughly examine it first!
 
BioProfessor said:
Hi Gollum,

I thought somebody might recognize it. I always make it a habit to return items I find to their owner. No problem.

Just send me your address and a enough to cover the postage and handling (you know the cost associated with the finding of this small piece of rare copper in the middle of nowhere that's been in the ground for about 175 years or so and 1300 miles away from home). Let's see, that would be 5 detectors purchased, about 4000 hours of ground sweeping time, 1258 AA batteries, 9125 miles of travel, and 6 diet cokes. Ah, $14,000.00 should cover that. So the total Handling and Postage would be $14,000.34.

Hope you enjoy getting it back.

Daryl

Hey Come ON! It only cost two cents to make! HAHAHA

Congratulations! Amazing Find!

Best-Mike
 
Congratulations Daryl :headbang:
A great find and well deserving of the Banner :notworthy:

Mike
 
Thanks all. I think I'm going to do the Plexiglass sandwich thing.

Daryl
 
BioProfessor said:
Thanks all. I think I'm going to do the Plexiglass sandwich thing.

Daryl


Is that on rye or whole wheat?
 
Copper goes better on whole wheat wouldn't you agree?

Daryl
 
BioProfessor said:
Copper goes better on whole wheat wouldn't you agree?

Daryl

Sure would and silver on rye ain't bad either! :thumbsup:
 
He also said that at the time these tags were used - 1826 - it was pretty common for them to be "defaced.". They would be bent, cut, nailed, etc. The slaves would risk punishment for losing a tag in order to get the satisfaction of "beating it up." Just what they were doing at this point in the history of slavery.

Absolutely awesome treasure you have found - and I do mean treasure.
It is mangled and defaced somewhat, however, if what your source is telling you is the case here, it would seem to me that it would only add to the value of this historical artifact. (jmo)

It is exciting to read about this type of find seeing that I am a total newbie to this fascinating hobby of metal detecting.
 
:) Fantastic find, Congrats on making the Banner HH Boo
 
BioProfessor said:
I don't think I would want them to add anything either. I have seen some repairs where they've straightened and filled in the holes and cracks. It looks good and makes it much more stable and can withstand handling which is important to me as all my artifacts wind up in the classroom.

First time on the banner. Didn't make it even when I found 2 US gold coins in the same hole. Oh well. I MADE IT NOW!!!

Daryl
Congratulations Daryl on making the Banner :notworthy: I thought it was a cert for it :laughing7:

I wouldn't do anything to it :P you have a part of your Countries History there, it should be left as it was found 8)
The Bronze age Gold Cup(ringle mere cup) was left exactally as it was found....crushed, the BM just had a replica made of how it looked, and displayed them both together. Don't no wether this is something for you to consider :)

SS
 

Attachments

  • 5209.webp
    5209.webp
    6 KB · Views: 5,266
It may very well be possible to track down where this badge originated in terms of who owned that property at that time and then dig further (no pun intended) and see who is listed on his property rolls as slaves at the time. THey kept a meticulous record of them believe it or not. Though it may be a darker time in our history it is no doubt still fascinating and this is, no doubt, the find of a lifetime..

It may take long hours of research but I fully believe you can match a soul or at least a family to this badge.

Please keep us all informed! :hello2:
 
SWEEEEET find, congrats!!! :icon_pirat:
 
BioProfessor said:
So the total Handling and Postage would be $14,000.34.

Thats quite a bargain. Postage stamps are .41 so you are saving a whopping .07! :laughing7:

Seriously though... That is a sweet chunk of history you have there. I can only dream of finding one so I will detect vicariously through you.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom