Heart stopping geocache! A mushroom bloom! and a few relics!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my very interesting Saturday morning hunt. I was in the woods doing what I like to call field research!! Covering alot of ground in the woods accepting all signals, looking for old human activity. I had not managed to come across very much, when I spied a large old piece of crumpled sheet metal from what I had no idea, old roofing maybe. I started 2 work this area and when I lifted my coil over a big old rotted stump It went off! I checked it again! YEP! something in the stump! There was some birch bark and other debris covering up the inner hollow portion of the stump. I removed this and my heart lept into my throat!! A military magazine box down in the stump!! I WAS THINKING COLD HARD $$$$$$. I removed the box and with great anticipation opened it!, Without any quadrants I had found Maine geocache # 9 with a note book and a letter explaining what it was! There were a bunch of trinkets left, by past finders and entries in the note book on who and when they had found it !! It had been set there in 2005. I made my entry and explained I had come across it metal detecting and left an old spent 45 cal cartridge shell . My second cache of the year!!!! :headbang: Just a little distance from this I found some good eats ! A beautiful bloom of oyster mushrooms !! YUM! YUM! I did manage a few relics, 1950 wheatie, general service button, and a few bottles!! For those of you who are interested in exactly where I was you can get the quadrants on line!! MaineRelic.

Attachments

• geocache day.jpg
    geocache day.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 742
  • oysters.jpg
    oysters.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 736
Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oysters are real good eating they fry up so nice!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
i found one myself last year!

i was very dissapointed when i opened the box :-\

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
MaineRelic said:
This was my very interesting saturday morning hunt. I was in the woods doing what I like to call field research!! Covering alot of ground in the woods accepting all signals, looking for old human activity. I had not managed to come across very much, when I spied a large old piece of crumpled sheet metal from what I had no idea, old roofing maybe. I started 2 work this area and when I lifted my coil over a big old rotted stump It went off! I checked it again! YEP! something in the stump! There was some birch bark and other debris covering up the inner hollow portion of the stump. I removed this and my heart lept into my throat!! A military magazine box down in the stump!! I WAS THINKING COLD HARD $$$$$$. I removed the box and with great anticipation opened it!, Without any quardenents I had found Maine geocache # 9 with a note book and a letter explaining what it was! There were a bunch of trinkets left, by past finders and entries in the note book on who and when they had found it !! It had been set there in 2005. I made my entry and explained I had come across it metal detecting and left an old spent 45 cal cartridge shell . My second cache of the year!!!! :headbang: Just a little distance from this I found some good eats ! A beautiful bloom of oyster mushrooms !! YUM! YUM! I did manage a few relics, 1950 wheatie, general service button, and a few bottles!! For those of you who are interested in exactly where I was you can get the quardients on line!! MaineRelic.

I do many things including placing and looking for geocaches, I personnal want to say thank you for returning it to it's original site, leaving a "trinket" and signing the book. Many times someone accidentally comes on one of these and removes it, moves it to another location (thinking this would be funny--let them look harder) or destroys the entire cache just for the fun of it.
Here is a link to a world wide site, over 800,000 caches around the world for anyone that might be interested in joining (FREE) and trying out this hobby.

http://www.geocaching.com/

Thanks again, nice finds from the general area.
Minstrel

Corrupted

Apr 30, 2009
Essex County, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
I too am into Geocaching and want to thank you for respecting the cache, is really sucks when you hear that one has been plundered.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
yum, my favorite 'shroom! was the cache just a coincidence? or did you have the clues?

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bottles and the mushrooms look tasty.
Have you ever eaten puffballs? You can slice them and eat them raw.
roger

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
yum, my favorite 'shroom! was the cache just a coincidence? or did you have the clues?
I had no clues at all it was a chance discovery!!

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of those mushrooms. In Michigan we have the morels, caps and califlours. How do you prepare those types? WTG on the bottles and other finds.

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wallhangers said:
Never heard of those mushrooms. In Michigan we have the morels, caps and califlours. How do you prepare those types? WTG on the bottles and other finds.
Like any other musroom! You can actually purchase oyster mushrooms at chinese markets and even some gourmet markets . Hard to beat battered and deep fried like a morel!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! 8) We've come across a few of the geocache. It's always neat to leave something and sign the notebook and see what else has been left in it. :thumbsup:

LOVE the bottles!!

Nana :)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
mamabear said:
or did you have the clues?

Mamabear,

The 'clues' to a geocache are the exact latitude and longitude of the cache. They are hidden in a variety of places and all imaginable shapes and sizes. It's a big hobby. You can see a geocacher as they are the ones using a handheld GPS to find the location.

I've geocached in about 8 different countries now. It's a great sport, and I often combine it with detecting.

My wife is a 'Letterboxer'. That uses written clues only, which takes you to a specific location. The location will have a hidden container with a log book and homemade rubber stamp. You exchange inked stamp impressions in your collection. It is a 'crafters' hobby.

http://www.atlasquest.com/

So, when we head out we take a few metal detectors, my geocaching bag, her letterboxing bag, and hopes of finding lots of all three!

Thanks for returning the cache to it's hidden location. It's all too often that I find a cache which has been 'muggled' and trashed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread