Heat Exchanger (wetsuit)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
To tell the truth, I really haven't want to post pics due to embarrassment...The first couple I made, I took my time and they looked professional but didn't work. After that I just hacked things together to see if it worked. Once I get something working, I would then rebuild and make it look good.[/QUOTE]

Well i wouldnt worry about being embaressed at all. i do the same thing when makeing the first one to make it work. then i make another with the improvements and finishing touchs.i have several old (first time/proto type) projects on the shelves that i need to get rid of

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
wish I could be of some help. the only one I built I used about 30 feet of ¼ copper tube and wrapped it around 2 of the header tubes of my vw then wrapped it with muffler tape. it worked reaaly well at fast rpm. I use a throttle under water and when I would idle the motor the water would get real hot. not want you want. I turned it into a on dredge shower. that worked great..
it was ugly. not well made at all. I started using a dry suit and had no need.

bill/cr

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I picked up a piece of 2 3/4" pipe so I'm going to change out the water jacket. I'll take picks of the inside pipe.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok guys, I guess I have a partial victory. I can make 100 degree water if I slow the flow down via restriction of a 3/8x1/8x/1/8 tee and turn my water down to a point it's flowing out each 1/8th connection about 1". If I turn the water up so that I have about 2-3" of flow out each connection my temps drop to around 90 degrees. I would of loved to make the water much hotter as it would be easier to achieve the desired diver output via the mixer tank or so I think.

Here are some pics of the old one after I cut it in half to get the exhaust pipe and I did some modifications with more baffles and used a smaller water jacket pipe (2.75")
This is before baffles
IMG_20131017_104807.jpg

Showing how far washers are sticking in the 1" pipe
IMG_20131017_104935.jpg

Old water jacket
IMG_20131017_105006.jpg

With new baffles
IMG_20131017_135316.jpg

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you can heat that water up soon, as the water in Idaho has got to be getting mucho frio

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I spoke to soon I guess. I ran it this morning, the water in my tube was 40 degrees and it wouldn't make only about a 20 degree temp rise on the water. I took it apart and welded up the holes in the washers and added a few more baffles. Hopefully this works!

Oak, last week the water was 35 degrees, I froze my arse off!

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another update: After I welded up the holes and added a few more baffles it's still not there, no hot water like I'm expecting. I was thinking maybe I'm just expecting to much from this type of system but I think not. I rebuilt my coil type heat exchanger yesterday, basicly I encased it in a larger can, I was using a pineapple juice can but I think it was to small, so now I'm using a 1 gallon can. I lined the inside with 3 ply belted rubber that's 1/4" thick.

First I tried both exchangers together with the coil physically installed after the manifold but first to get water (preheater) feeding the manifold. I gained a few more degree's but it's still not what I'm expecting.
Next I tried just the coil and it seems to be working but it was hard to tell as my water was already warmed up in my tub so I'm going to check it out this morning.
Pic of what I did.
IMG_20131020_153004.jpg

It's funny though, I was looking for something else yesterday and came across these pics of the hot water system built out of Cali by Terry Stapp, I think. Go figure, the Iowa Gold website was close but I see the design flaw in that the washers needed to be deeper in the exhaust pipe with holes drilled in to allow the gas to pass and to allow faster heat transfer. Pic 9 is enlightening!

Hot Water Heater For A Gold Dredge Photos by Rod1874 | Photobucket

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Monday update! The coil by itself with the water valve wide open makes 75 degree water, the coil is 1/4" OD and about 35' long. With the valve closed down to the flow I think I'll use in my suit, I get into the 90's. So I guess that the best I can expect for now. At least I wont have to use my propane stove to heat water!

From the bottom of my heart, Thanks to everyone who helped!

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday update! The coil by itself with the water valve wide open makes 75 degree water, the coil is 1/4" OD and about 35' long. With the valve closed down to the flow I think I'll use in my suit, I get into the 90's. So I guess that the best I can expect for now. At least I wont have to use my propane stove to heat water!

From the bottom of my heart, Thanks to everyone who helped!

Good to hear....... :thumbsup:
I was trying to find the video that this guy sent me.
It was rather complex.
Takes the exhaust sub-surface and exchanges the the heat within a large tube.
It also reduces the motor noise greatly.
I had concerns at first, but it works VERY well.
He was a master craftsman and it was beautiful.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to hear....... :thumbsup:
I was trying to find the video that this guy sent me.
It was rather complex.
Takes the exhaust sub-surface and exchanges the the heat within a large tube.
It also reduces the motor noise greatly.
I had concerns at first, but it works VERY well.
He was a master craftsman and it was beautiful.

It would be great if you found and posted that video, I'm interested in other designs now that I'm all in on the project.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another update: After I welded up the holes and added a few more baffles it's still not there, no hot water like I'm expecting. I was thinking maybe I'm just expecting to much from this type of system but I think not. I rebuilt my coil type heat exchanger yesterday, basicly I encased it in a larger can, I was using a pineapple juice can but I think it was to small, so now I'm using a 1 gallon can. I lined the inside with 3 ply belted rubber that's 1/4" thick.

First I tried both exchangers together with the coil physically installed after the manifold but first to get water (preheater) feeding the manifold. I gained a few more degree's but it's still not what I'm expecting.
Next I tried just the coil and it seems to be working but it was hard to tell as my water was already warmed up in my tub so I'm going to check it out this morning.
Pic of what I did.
View attachment 885106

It's funny though, I was looking for something else yesterday and came across these pics of the hot water system built out of Cali by Terry Stapp, I think. Go figure, the Iowa Gold website was close but I see the design flaw in that the washers needed to be deeper in the exhaust pipe with holes drilled in to allow the gas to pass and to allow faster heat transfer. Pic 9 is enlightening!

Hot Water Heater For A Gold Dredge Photos by Rod1874 | Photobucket
I was trying to figure out why the Iowa guys were running the water in the hot side and out the muffler side. Seems like that's dragging heat down the pipe instead of keeping it in the water. I wonder if you'd get a greater rise going the other way.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was trying to figure out why the Iowa guys were running the water in the hot side and out the muffler side. Seems like that's dragging heat down the pipe instead of keeping it in the water. I wonder if you'd get a greater rise going the other way.

I've actually tried all ways possible. I tried from either end, turning the unit on it's side then switching positions, upside down...you get the point. Any way that I could possible mount and try I did. It just wasn't going to make the heat, at least the coil in the can is making heat so that gets me in a better place then were I was! I may try the other style at some point but for now I have hot water and I may just end up buying a on-demand water heater...after all I can use it to take a hot shower otherwise I start getting a little ripe after a few day!

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well thought I would give a final update...I went to Grimes Creek this last weekend (wanted to see what is so special about Grimes) and guess what, my heater was NOT working. I don't get it, it was working down here but I get in the mountains and it doesn't work. I ran my engine at the same speed there as I did here, 2340 rpm's, matter of fact I had everything exactly the same. The only variables I see that are different is elevation and water temp so....I'm completely at a loss. In my life I have never ran into a project like this that has stumped me so completely.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Omni you need one of these. It's made by a company out of Cali call Research and Development. It gives me 98-120 deg water in my wetsuit when the river is at 35 deg. I can run 2 twenty five foot hoses and keep 2 divers warm. It has a thermostat and a steam relief valve on the mixing can.

image-1162861980.jpg

image-3284975183.jpg

image-2576413176.jpg

image-3419879304.jpg

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Great heater, but I believe they were out of Coulterville, and I believe they are no longer in business. Maybe Jeff at Proline might know where to pick one up...

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Try this triton, lots of guys are using this, I plan to try it next spring. Out of state of course

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks OK, I tried looking them up but honestly with no job and my dredging shut down for the season due to not recovering any gold my last 2 trips...I've gone in the hole and my wife's p'ed off.
Oak, I'm almost 95% sure I'm going to go that route when I have funding ie: get a job. I'm sure I will buy one just might be a different brand based on what money I have then.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks OK, I tried looking them up but honestly with no job and my dredging shut down for the season due to not recovering any gold my last 2 trips...I've gone in the hole and my wife's p'ed off.
Oak, I'm almost 95% sure I'm going to go that route when I have funding ie: get a job. I'm sure I will buy one just might be a different brand based on what money I have then.

I have one of those triton heaters and it works awesomely!
119 dollars on amazon delivered to your house !
It's cheap and just a few simple things to do to make it work ....
You need to build or use a blaster nozzel style Atachment for added water presure as it has a presure switch built in the unit to turn it on and off
It can be bypassed but it works just fine plus you can use a small ball valve to turn it on and off under water ....
One tank of propayne last about 20 hours if ya run it non stop .. Usually makes me to hot so I make it alot further .no mixer tanks or any of that crap just hook it up and go ... Iv found its best to run it until your hot then jump in the water .. It feels good instead of the cold water shock ..
Also it's easy to remove in the summer to get it out of the way and doubles for a camp shower when not of the dredge
There is a screen on the inlet side that needs to be removed or it will just plug up and shut down ! Ill see if I have some pictures of my setup
Have a picture but it doesn't so how it's setup.
Ill dig it out and send ya some

Attachments

• image-577082649.jpg
    image-577082649.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 165

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread