What's new

Heel Plate In The Last Hour Saved The Day

RPG

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
93
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Definately a first for me. :icon_sunny:

Got out for a while today with nothing much to show but some lead and big iron. The IH and plate were some of the last items dug today. Sure made my day. :)

I found a small homesite within a quarter mile of my house a couple of weeks back. The farmer cut the hay last week and I took the mower and cut it a little lower. Lots of square nails to pick through but I should get a few more keepers there.

Good Luck
Randy
 

Attachments

  • heelplate.webp
    heelplate.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 808
Upvote 20
Rusted_Iron said:
That heel plate is a superb find! Congrats also on the IH. Looks like you need to hit that site till the cows come home.

HH,
Rusted

Thanks Rusted. I will be back. :thumbsup:

lonewolfe said:
Nice find!

HH

Thanks lonewolfe.

vayank54 said:
RPG said:
Elliott Ness said:
I think I read in a post here recently on the heart heel plate?? I believe they were saying that the ladies of the night :wink: wore them on their shoes so that the soldiers/men could identify them easier. I'm not saying that this is what they were referring to, but it sure seems to fit if what they were saying is true. Nice finds and keep hitting that spot hard. HH

Thanks Elliott. Ladies of the night huh. ;D Wish they woulda wore them in my time. :wink:
I posted that. I dug one a while back and a guy who collects them and had done a study on The History Of Prostitution told me that the "ladies" wore them and they left prints in the dirt so them men knew which women to approach. He also told me that an old lady who had been in the "business" confirmed it. That is all I know though. not all of the heel plates like that are civil war though. the one I dug was about 1-1/2"by 1-1/2" and was a bit post war. Still a cool find

Thanks for the info vayank. Wasn't that easy in my time. :D

rjw4law said:
very interesting.

;D

dfx willy said:
RPG said:
Thanks Patriot. Hope you get one. :thumbsup:

Thanks Ty. It's in great shape. I can't see any wear on it at all. :)
are we talking about the ladies of the night :P :P ;D ;D willy

:D

sscindercoop said:
I found a matching pair this year in NY. On the back it says 1 1/2. I thought they were Confederate Calvary heel plates but the size seemed much to small for a mans boot. Thanks for clearing that up. Also congrats RPG that heel plate its in amazing condition :icon_thumleft:

Thanks sscindercoop. Nice pair you got there. Maybe I can find the other on also. :thumbsup:

Hill Billy said:
Nice find Randy , I believe BBoy found one on a site here on our farm last year.
Keep hitting that site, you never know what's down there. :thumbsup:

Thanks HB. I thought I remembered BB posting one. I will be back, still got a lot of iron to get out of the way. :icon_thumright:

IronSpike said:
Nice heart heel plate :icon_thumright:

'Ladies of the night' :laughing7:

Thanks IronSpike. :)
 
Hill Billy said:
Nice find Randy , I believe BBoy found one on a site here on our farm last year.
Keep hitting that site, you never know what's down there. :thumbsup:

Yep. Instead of a heart it had a star cut-out. Heel plates are ALWAYS good finds!


:thumbsup:
 
BuckleBoy said:
Hill Billy said:
Nice find Randy , I believe BBoy found one on a site here on our farm last year.
Keep hitting that site, you never know what's down there. :thumbsup:

Yep. Instead of a heart it had a star cut-out. Heel plates are ALWAYS good finds!


:thumbsup:

Thanks BuckleBoy. I knew you had posted one, just didn't remember it being a star. :thumbsup:

It came as a big surprise. Wasn't expecting a heel plate. That's what is so cool about this hobby. 8)
 
Great find :icon_thumleft: maybe you can explain to me what was the purpose of a heart shpe on a heel plate i found one of those about 10 days ago in a potato field out here in Long Island NY HH Jim
 

Attachments

  • heel plate 10-27-2009.webp
    heel plate 10-27-2009.webp
    86.5 KB · Views: 532
Nice job on the heel plate and indian head penny :)
 
Hey thats cool, never knew that about these plate. Ifound a nice one also last year.
HH
Pro-
 
That is a nice heal plate and in great shape to

HH Jer
 
Deepdiger60 said:
Great find :icon_thumleft: maybe you can explain to me what was the purpose of a heart shpe on a heel plate i found one of those about 10 days ago in a potato field out here in Long Island NY HH Jim

Thanks Deepdiger. Check out vayank54's reply above for a little history on these plates.

Detectingfreak said:
Nice job on the heel plate and indian head penny :)

Thanks Detectingfreak. :)

prolab69 said:
Hey thats cool, never knew that about these plate. Ifound a nice one also last year.
HH
Pro-

Thanks prolab69. Seems there's more of them out there than we thought. Post some pics. :thumbsup:

JerDfx said:
That is a nice heal plate and in great shape to

HH Jer

Thanks Jer. I been watching your posts lately. You're on fire. :blob8: :D Keep those posts coming.
 
Have been told they are worth about $35 ea. My TH partner found one and threw it away. He is not interested in relics.
 
wto on the heel plate :headbang: :headbang: here one i found this year
 

Attachments

  • jspn_DSC00069.webp
    jspn_DSC00069.webp
    33 KB · Views: 431
  • jspn_DSC00069.webp
    jspn_DSC00069.webp
    33 KB · Views: 435
Elliott Ness said:
I think I read in a post here recently on the heart heel plate?? I believe they were saying that the ladies of the night :wink: wore them on their shoes so that the soldiers/men could identify them easier. I'm not saying that this is what they were referring to, but it sure seems to fit if what they were saying is true. Nice finds and keep hitting that spot hard. HH

Do you have a link to that thread Elliott Ness?
 
IronSpike said:
Elliott Ness said:
I think I read in a post here recently on the heart heel plate?? I believe they were saying that the ladies of the night :wink: wore them on their shoes so that the soldiers/men could identify them easier. I'm not saying that this is what they were referring to, but it sure seems to fit if what they were saying is true. Nice finds and keep hitting that spot hard. HH

Do you have a link to that thread Elliott Ness?

IronSpike, I too am looking for a link. I have been searching and can't find anything on the web that says these were worn by the ladies of the night. Can't find anything saying they were worn by soldiers either, other than relic hunters that have found them. All the heel plates I've seen for soldiers are horseshoe shaped. If anyone has or can find a link, please post it. :help:
 
RPG,
Here's the one I dug about two years ago.
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • MVC-008S.webp
    MVC-008S.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 361
Nice heel plate. You would surely know if someone was walking down todays sidewalks or flooring :laughing7:
 
RPG said:
IronSpike said:
Elliott Ness said:
I think I read in a post here recently on the heart heel plate?? I believe they were saying that the ladies of the night :wink: wore them on their shoes so that the soldiers/men could identify them easier. I'm not saying that this is what they were referring to, but it sure seems to fit if what they were saying is true. Nice finds and keep hitting that spot hard. HH

Do you have a link to that thread Elliott Ness?

IronSpike, I too am looking for a link. I have been searching and can't find anything on the web that says these were worn by the ladies of the night. Can't find anything saying they were worn by soldiers either, other than relic hunters that have found them. All the heel plates I've seen for soldiers are horseshoe shaped. If anyone has or can find a link, please post it. :help:

Very little is known about the heel plates and all I can add to it is from memory of an old article in Western & Eastern Treasures that I can't locate :D

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,220801.0.html
 

Attachments

  • Heart.webp
    Heart.webp
    23 KB · Views: 329
  • Heart.webp
    Heart.webp
    23 KB · Views: 326
I dug this the other day . I did not think much about it . A tecting bud dug one also.
I will have to get it for a maching pair . Thanks for the info. Mike
 

Attachments

  • scan0037.webp
    scan0037.webp
    91.6 KB · Views: 327
ModernMiner said:
RPG,
Here's the one I dug about two years ago.
-MM-

WOW Doug. That's an awesome one too. Looks great with all those other awesome relics. :o

crazyjarhead said:
Nice heel plate. You would surely know if someone was walking down todays sidewalks or flooring :laughing7:

Thanks CJ. Think what it would sound like if a lot them were coming at you with their rifles pointed your way. :icon_pale:

garthbfan169 said:
WTG RPG that is a sweet find!! :thumbsup: :headbang:

Thanks garthbfan169.

IronSpike said:
RPG said:
IronSpike said:
Elliott Ness said:
I think I read in a post here recently on the heart heel plate?? I believe they were saying that the ladies of the night :wink: wore them on their shoes so that the soldiers/men could identify them easier. I'm not saying that this is what they were referring to, but it sure seems to fit if what they were saying is true. Nice finds and keep hitting that spot hard. HH

Do you have a link to that thread Elliott Ness?

IronSpike, I too am looking for a link. I have been searching and can't find anything on the web that says these were worn by the ladies of the night. Can't find anything saying they were worn by soldiers either, other than relic hunters that have found them. All the heel plates I've seen for soldiers are horseshoe shaped. If anyone has or can find a link, please post it. :help:

Very little is known about the heel plates and all I can add to it is from memory of an old article in Western & Eastern Treasures that I can't locate :D

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,220801.0.html

I'm still looking for info. I'll post it if found.

gmanlight said:
I dug this the other day . I did not think much about it . A tecting bud dug one also.
I will have to get it for a maching pair . Thanks for the info. Mike

A matching pair would be awesome. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone. :icon_sunny:
 
I just posted what i was told about the heel plate in General Discussion. I posted it as Brass heel plate history?? I forgot to mention that not all of the heel plates ate civil war but can go later
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom