✅ SOLVED hello and help please !

ctitech0019

Nov 17, 2012
southeast pa.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter qd 2, garret pro pointer !
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HPIM1254.JPG HPIM1255.JPG HPIM1256.JPG Interesting:notworthy: thing , copper ? attached to some kind of rusty thing , any idea's ,? only because i know this is the place to find out ! thanks and H.H.

OP
OP
C

ctitech0019

Nov 17, 2012
southeast pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok , so doing some research, found on t-net from cbg, a grand army of the republic veterans button, awesome and thank you c.b.g. H.H.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your find is definitely a "GAR" (Grand Army of the Republic) button. The GAR was the national organization of yankee veterans of the civil war. GAR buttons date from about 1870 through the first 1/3rd of the 20th-Century. Yours had a brass front with a tin-plated iron back (which is why the back is rusty).

Edit: Ctitech0019 and I were typing at the same time.

Attachments

• button_veterans_Grand-Army-of-the-Republic_GAR_Ebay.jpg
    button_veterans_Grand-Army-of-the-Republic_GAR_Ebay.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ctitech0019

Nov 17, 2012
southeast pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your find is definitely a "GAR" (Grand Army of the Republic) button. The GAR was the national organization of yankee veterans of the civil war. GAR buttons date from about 1870 through the first 1/3rd of the 20th-Century. Yours had a brass front with a tin-plated iron back (which is why the back is rusty).

Edit: Ctitech0019 and I were typing at the same time.

well i bow to your knowledge :notworthy:, i have read lots of posts and you are the expert , and i thank you so much !

david .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ctitech0019

Nov 17, 2012
southeast pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey buddy , is there a good time frame for the style , im doing alot of digging for my local historical society, to donate stuff, all the info i can get is great !

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because you requested a more-specific timeframe than "about 1870 through the first 1/3rd of the 20th-Century," I'll do waht I can to narrow down that timeframe for you. Your 3-piece GAR button has an iron back ...which is quite rarely seen on 3-piece buttons. A man named Goodwin received a US Patent for iron-backed 3-piece buttons on July 27, 1875. Some iron-backed GAR buttons have a backmark with his name and that date (or an 1878 date).

Also, as decades passed, the number of surviving civil war veterans dwindled, of course. Therefore, far fewer GAR buttons were manufactured after 1900 than in prior decades.

So, putting all of those pieces of information together, the statistical odds favor your ironback 3-piece GAR button being manufactured sometime between the latter 1870s and the latter 1890s -- although of course it could have been worn and lost later than that time-period.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ctitech0019

Nov 17, 2012
southeast pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude , thats awesome thank you so much, this info will go a long way !

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread