Hello Everyone! Newbie looking for advice.

frockbag

Apr 9, 2013
I've always loved treasure hunting since I was a kid. I got a detector when I was young but with just your backyard as your hunting ground as a kid I lost interest. I do a lot of hunting at second hand stores and have made some amazing finds. Many wealthy people move here and bring their prized possessions and anything that's not gold or silver ends up in these stores. One find was a telekenetics bounty hunter model. I was wondering how effective these are and what are some of the more reputable companies that make detectors. I know of White and Garrett and a few others. I'm not looking for a top of the line model but I do want the best bang for my buck. Is it a good idea to buy on Ebay? Is 400.00 enough for a nice model? Is a pin pointer worth the investment ? Are headphones essential? I'd appreciate your time to take a minute or two to address some of my questions. Being in Hawaii limits my hunting grounds but some of the older Sandwich Isle coins and even tokens are worth thousands. Nice to pay for equipment but I just like pulling things out of the Earth that tell a story. The immigrants that came here make for probably the most diverse culture mix in all the U. S. Mahalo in advance.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Hawaii for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
I am sure a lot of member's will jump in with suggestions frockbag! So, let me just answer a few...

1. You can find information on your new MD by browsing Bounty Hunter - STOP

2. One of the most useful (time saving, etc.) investments (outside the MD) is a good Pin Pointer. I prefer the Garrett™ Pro-Pointer.

3. Headphones appear to be an individual preference. It depends on the environment (noise, etc.), MD'rs hearing ability, etc.

4. As far as where should you buy your MD accessories, etc. - I would strongly suggest you buy it from one of our Sponsor's. You can find a list on Supporting Vendors.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site frockbag. If I remember correctly , the black volcanic sand in your state can present a challenge for any detector . Unless someone here has delt with the black sand before , I would contact a good ( large national ) detector dealership . Good luck & Happy Hunting .

OP
OP
F

frockbag

Apr 9, 2013
While this island is known for its black sand beaches. The largest one was taken by lava roughly 20 years ago. I live in Hilo which is the windward side where the Tsunamis have hit. They no longer build in those areas so I research old maps to find where old structures stood or areas where migrant sugarcane workers lived.The leeward side is all white sand brought in for the resorts. A lot less hits but a lot of well to do tourists stay there. A slightly ill fitted ring and suntan oil does make for a bad combination. I'll keep everyone posted. My best find so far and I've only gone out twice is a blob of silver just under 6 oz. Thought for sure it was lead but to my surprise it was pure silver.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Given the various types of soil, I'd encourage you to consider a unit with ground balance capabilities.

Wayne

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. If I lived in Hawaii, I'd get a water machine for sure. $400 doesn't get you much in that area however. Maybe a good used machine would be the way to go as you can get a little more bang for the buck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread