Dayzt

Greenie
Nov 5, 2013
Calgary, AB
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there everyone! It's so great to be here - I'm completely new to this, but have been interested in treasure hunting since forever. I recently watched some episodes of 'Diggers' and it sparked my interest again. I'll be purchasing a md in the next few months in anticipation for the spring, and plan to do some extensive research in the meantime and try to plan some outings at prospective locations near me or with a local club soon! I'm mostly interested in coin and relic hunting, but also quite interested in the history behind everything and the sites searched.

Any recommendations on md brands/models? I'm leaning towards a Garrett such as the one advertised here:

garrett at gold metal detector

Peace, and see you out there!!

Dayzt :flag_yellow:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Canada for information directly related to your country.
Whatever MD you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

OP
OP
D

Dayzt

Greenie
Nov 5, 2013
Calgary, AB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! It seems like a silly thing to start getting into at this time of year here where we're starting to get alot of snow now - but I'll be well prepared and informed come springtime, and ready to start detecting! :)

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from florida.

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Colorado. Still have some friends in Calgary. Have a Garrett AT Gold and having lots of fun.

OP
OP
D

Dayzt

Greenie
Nov 5, 2013
Calgary, AB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I just ordered my Garrett ACE 250 kit yesterday - can't wait!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings from the Lone Star State-Texas.:hello2:

OP
OP
D

Dayzt

Greenie
Nov 5, 2013
Calgary, AB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings from the Lone Star State-Texas.:hello2:

Hello! I see you have the same gear that I've recently ordered - waiting for it to arrive (Garrett ACE 250 w/ Garrett Pro Pointer). Any quick tips or first-hand info on the md that you can share that you remember from when you first got it?

Thanks PG!

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heya Dayzt
I'm also from Calgary. I am still learning tones for the AT gold. Great machine. I have used Garrett exclusively for a number of years and have always been happy with the product. (except their edge digger. the handle splits from the inside. They are redesigning it and will get one delivered when they are ready.) I have just gotten back into the hobby and have been out about ten times here in Calgary. I must do some more research on sites to dig and of coarse obtain the proper approvals. Anyhoo welcome aboard to MD and the forum. Keep us posted as to what machine you get. Any questions feel free to ask. Cheers for now
Voodoo

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at gold

I'm assuming you checked out the instructional videos for the AT gold? (four of them). If not check them out on youtube. (sorry I don't have the link handy.. I'm late for work gotta roll. Good luck.
Voodoo

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry should have read a little closer to the posts. Grats on the new detector!!let us know when you get it!! you will have fun for sure. See ya out there after the thaw.....

OP
OP
D

Dayzt

Greenie
Nov 5, 2013
Calgary, AB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry should have read a little closer to the posts. Grats on the new detector!!let us know when you get it!! you will have fun for sure. See ya out there after the thaw.....

Hey Voodoo! I replied to your post on the Friendly Metal Detecting Forums - Powered by vBulletin site as well..haha!

Awesome to find another detector in Calgary! Woke up this morning and was a bit depressed by the extra few inches of snow we were blessed with last night..lol. I was hoping I would get my Ace 250 in the mail with a chance to get at least one outing in before it got too white out there, but oh well. I've been trying to read up on some Calgary history this last while to get some ideas for sites to try some detecting at. I found a few interesting ones - have you ever tried any areas in Fish Creek Park?

Well, we'll have to stay in touch over the winter and possibly get together - I'll be learning as much as I can about the Ace 250 in the next 4-5 months as we wait for the snow to melt!

Talk soon! :)

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! I don't know much about your detector you ordered but.. Snow doesnt stop me ;) you rub Vaseline on your coil to prevent ice build up. The ground is harder being frozen but thats why I have a good shovel from lowes that if I break it, it takes 15 US dollars to replace. Now if you have feet of snow..it will be rough. A few inches can be still detected especially if its powdery snow and easy to get through. But here is a tip for you for the snow. You know the store parking lots how they plow all the snow to one side? When it starts to melt down and thaw go there if you want all the goodies people dropped and got plowed into that area ;)

OP
OP
D

Dayzt

Greenie
Nov 5, 2013
Calgary, AB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! I don't know much about your detector you ordered but.. Snow doesnt stop me ;) you rub Vaseline on your coil to prevent ice build up. The ground is harder being frozen but thats why I have a good shovel from lowes that if I break it, it takes 15 US dollars to replace. Now if you have feet of snow..it will be rough. A few inches can be still detected especially if its powdery snow and easy to get through. But here is a tip for you for the snow. You know the store parking lots how they plow all the snow to one side? When it starts to melt down and thaw go there if you want all the goodies people dropped and got plowed into that area ;)

Thanks for the tips on detecting in snow! Hopefully we have a brown(ish) winter this year - so far we've got a fair amount in Nov already, but I remain optimistic that it will melt down at least a bit or at least enough to do some exploring! We shall see. Great tip to hit the areas where plowed snow melts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread