Hello from Louisiana

cajunbaby75

Sep 22, 2023
Pride, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Hello we ( hubby and I) are new to metal detecting. We are north of Baton Rouge Louisiana , havenā€™t been to much out detecting as we are still learning where to go or where to ask. Any advice would be welcomed !!! Hope to keep this going for a very long time. We both love it !!!

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where to go or where to ask
Anyplace people have been before, and preferably for a long time before. Some people like parks and schools and other public spaces, others like old houses, homesteads, etc.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...We are north of Baton Rouge Louisiana...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: LOUISIANA for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Hello we ( hubby and I) are new to metal detecting. We are north of Baton Rouge Louisiana , havenā€™t been to much out detecting as we are still learning where to go or where to ask. Any advice would be welcomed !!! Hope to keep this going for a very long time. We both love it !!!
Bon matin!
Welcome from Morgan city Louisiana! Happy hunting!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Welcome to TN! Robertk offered excellent advice - where you hunt is the key to success. Playgrounds and public parks are a place to start (if you follow the local laws, rules, and regulations, of course) and practice. Many people begin in their own yards (our son eyeballed a 1906 dime when our driveway was replaced). But if you want to find the goodies you've got to go to the older places - private property that was once a battlefield, sites of old country fairs, racetracks, schoolyards, and revival meetings. Louisiana is a treasure state with many caches still to be found - miser and bootlegger and crooked doctor and lawyer plants.

Always follow the law, ask permission, and fill your holes!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Bamasteve

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2022
Very far north of where Iā€™d rather be
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 400
Garrett carrot
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Pro-find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site, as others have said, thereā€™s a lot of very knowledgeable people here that are glad to share info and insight.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
cajunbaby75:

Take a look at Post #5 in this thread - some excellent advice from the old master Bill Mahan:

There are a couple of books with Louisiana treasure yarns, but the legendary fortunes tend to be legends for a reason. There are a great many better leads in your state than those you'll find in those books. KvonM called Louisiana a "Treasure hunter's paradise" in his Treasure Hunter's Manual, 6th Edition (1961). "Whether you want money or relics, here you are." It hasn't changed in the sixty years since that was published.

I wouldn't spend too much like searching for Jean Laffite's plunder, but Louisiana is a great place to hunt!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
I would hit the local parks, school yards & picnic areas to start.

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wouldn't recommend searching in parks, sometimes you can break the law depending on the states!
Iā€™ve never had a problem hunting parks in Louisiana, however there are certain ones where it is not allowed. If itā€™s not posted go for it, just remember to dig neat plugs and remove your trash.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
And any other trash you find, even if it isn't yours. Try to leave the place looking better than you found it.
I agree. It never hurts to have a partial sack of trash with you. Skeptics see you are not careless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread