Help ID this cast pewter button please.......

kbgeorgia

Greenie
Aug 1, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites goldmaster, Nokta velox one
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
0000000.jpg

Found on the Georgia / S. Carolina line near the Savannah river. No markings on the reverse.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Almost looks like a depiction of Little Red Riding Hood, just based on what seems to be a dog standing upright, and is in the forest alongside a smaller character??? The story is more than old enough, but ???

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we need better pic's, front and back, diameter as well............................HH

Upvote 0

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a post recently that showed a diagram of several shanks off buttons. Yours looks like it is from around the 1700s. I suppose it could be modern but I lean towards it being old.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Boy, the new picture of the front really took the fun out of what I was seeing before.
That's a large shank... It almost looks like it would accommodate a hex nut and screw... But it's now out of the age range of which I could help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kbgeorgia

Greenie
Aug 1, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
vvvvvvv.jpg

Other stufff I have found within 200 feet of the cast button. The site is an old homestead in Elbert county, GA. There was a Revolutionary conflict very close by.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kbgeorgia

Greenie
Aug 1, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a ship or a shield......Is that my pic you blew up DCMatt?

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. It is an edit of your pic.

It could be someone's attempt to make a replica of a Greek or Roman coin into a button.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, boy have you found a GREAT spot! I'd love to see a close up pic of the button on the far left that has initials like GAC. Really neat finds, Breezie

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I know about your button is that it's early, and it looks to have a legend (writing) around the flan:icon_scratch: you really need the skills of Iron Patch on this one, although I think he two might have a problem with this one :dontknow: either way that's a great find.:thumbsup:

I'll stick my neck out a little further, and say you have a 1600's button here...

SS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kbgeorgia

Greenie
Aug 1, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh, boy have you found a GREAT spot! I'd love to see a close up pic of the button on the far left that has initials like GAC. Really neat finds, Breezie

Thanks Breezie, It says NGAC......North Georgia Aricultural College......circa 1870 - 1930 .... It is still a military college in Dahlonega GA.

Also, Thank you everyone for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it is a "field cast" button, so I knew it would be tough to ID.

Upvote 0

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Looks like a great site you have there, I live about 12 miles from the area your talking about and have found similar buttons at several old plantation sites around here. They were making and using some strange buttons with all kinds of lined patterns on the front. I'll add a pic of one that's sort of like yours.... Dave

Attachments

• 32111finds1.jpg
    32111finds1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very old buttons. Actually very similar to Spanish buttons from pre colonial southeast

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I know about your button is that it's early, and it looks to have a legend (writing) around the flan:icon_scratch: you really need the skills of Iron Patch on this one, although I think he two might have a problem with this one :dontknow: either way that's a great find.:thumbsup:

I'll stick my neck out a little further, and say you have a 1600's button here...

SS

No question it's early, but can't see any significance of the design, maybe just a misc. pattern as is typical with the old civilian buttons.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread