hittinofr

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2017
Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everybody less than a week old to metal detecting so bear with me. So I was out on my second ever metal detecting trip with my new Garrett AT Gold and found two nuggets 5 feet apart 4-6 inches down in the gravel bed of my favorite river. Both nuggets were found in an area where Silver and Palladium were mined as well as small quantities of Platinum. There is actually an old Palladium mine aprox. a quarter mile up the hill from the river bed. I did a hydrogen peroxide test and they did react and had bubbles rising off them. The large nugget is 3.3 grams and the small is .76 grams. They feel light for their size but given these are my first nuggets of any kind it could be just my perception. They are bright but dull at the same time if that makes sense. Also they register 60-68 on my AT Gold. The photos I've attached are of both sides of each and the first photo of both was prior to hydrogen peroxide test which seemed to clean and remove some of the patina. I am hoping someone can help me identify until I can find an official testing kit. Please let me know if you have any more questions I can answer and thanks everyone for your help! 20170308_191817.jpg 20170309_111447.jpg 20170309_111458.jpg 20170309_111516.jpg 20170309_111528.jpg 20170309_111544.jpg

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Melted aluminum from an old campfire? Not sure but I think H2O2 will react with alum. and off gas hydrogen and/or oxygen so the bubbles.

OP
OP
H

hittinofr

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2017
Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Melted aluminum from an old campfire? Not sure but I think H2O2 will react with alum. and off gas hydrogen and/or oxygen so the bubbles.

My understanding is that was whole point of H2O2 test is that it won't react with Aluminum, but will with both Silver and Platinum. But I could have been mislead on that at some point...

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum would probably come up higher on your detector. I think it could be lead, scratch it with a knife and see if the scratch mark is shiny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 on wood seem real. Just go to the local Pawn shop and they test free to try and steal your gold for about half spot. Sorry too low and away you go question answered. Other wise back of unglazed piece of ceramic tile, scratch for a inch of so and a drop of nitric will answer your question . Pawn shop easier and no danger to you-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like lead.
The platinum nuggets you may find near a palladium mine would look different. and are super rare at that size. They would also be near twice as dense.

Platinum: The mineral native Platinum information and pictures

Platinum Nugget Crystals

the easiest way besides a streak test would be to hit it with a torch if you have one.

Don't do it inside what you have is most likely lead. It will melt pretty quickly if it is. You can also build a fire wait til the coals are hot and put it in something that won't melt and melt it in that and make a bullet if you want:tongue3:

Sort of a full circle sort of thing.

Don't be mis- LEAD:laughing9:.....by pebbles and sand caught up in the metal that happens when hot lead meets sand and gravel.

I hope I'm wrong

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hittinofr

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2017
Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The 2 on wood seem real. Just go to the local Pawn shop and they test free to try and steal your gold for about half spot. Sorry too low and away you go question answered. Other wise back of unglazed piece of ceramic tile, scratch for a inch of so and a drop of nitric will answer your question . Pawn shop easier and no danger to you-John

The two on wood are the same ones as the rest. It was right after i found them and before they got cleaned up by my H2O2 test that is the reason they look different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hittinofr

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2017
Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aluminum would probably come up higher on your detector. I think it could be lead, scratch it with a knife and see if the scratch mark is shiny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So scratched it with knife. First off it was REALLY hard to scratch, not a soft metal at all. The scratch mark was a bright silver though so might be lead.

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird, lead is easily scratched. God only knows what you could have, there's a lot of silver looking metals. Just be careful because some are not very good for your health

Sent from my A466T using Tapatalk

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's strange about your scratch, that it's silver, that doesn't happen with gold, and super hard? That's not how gold responds either. The other thing, for me at least, gold always feels heavy, and for your small nugget (of whatever material it is) to read as high as the large one, that's strange as well.

I'd take Hoser's advice and get a truly reliable answer, but it seems like you've eliminated some of the sure gold tests already. That doesn't mean the metal, if it's not gold, isn't valuable.

All the best,

Lanny

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice photos! Looks interesting. Let us know when you find out what it is.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go with hosers idea, they have testers at a jewelery store too I think. I have found gold that is more silvery, because of silver impurities, and I have gold that is more coppery colored from copper impurities. I think also you should take a after peroxide cleaning picture on the same piece of wood to see the difference. I think the other pics have more ambient light in them and makes them look more silvery white. good luck

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm tossing my hat in as campfire nuggets from melted cans. Looks just like the ones I find at the beaches that have fire pits/allow bonfires.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm tossing my hat in as campfire nuggets from melted cans. Looks just like the ones I find at the beaches that have fire pits/allow bonfires.

looking at the size vs. weight i'm changing my guess to campfire nugs as well

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Definitely melted metal, maybe aluminum but it looks like Babbit metal. Tougher than lead and found wherever machinery has been used. It's commonly over poured when forming bearings and the excess mixes with whatever sand or rock was on the ground when it was still molten.

Still used in car and machinery bearings it's a common find wherever mining or milling took place. It was used for wagon bearings and an axel bearing could be repaired on the trail with a hot fire and a hot pot. Literally tons of the bearing shell over pours are still sitting on the land in remote areas. It tends to harden and crystallize even more when exposed to the elements for long periods of time.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Definitely melted metal, maybe aluminum but it looks like Babbit metal. Tougher than lead and found wherever machinery has been used. It's commonly over poured when forming bearings and the excess mixes with whatever sand or rock was on the ground when it was still molten.

Still used in car and machinery bearings it's a common find wherever mining or milling took place. It was used for wagon bearings and an axel bearing could be repaired on the trail with a hot fire and a hot pot. Literally tons of the bearing shell over pours are still sitting on the land in remote areas. It tends to harden and crystallize even more when exposed to the elements for long periods of time.

Heavy Pans

Those pieces certainly don't look natural Barry, and I think you've nailed it down. I didn't think of babbit... but should have because we certainly find plenty of it up here. In fact newcomers are easily convinced they have found native silver... but it doesn't look like silver to an experienced eye, and usually our babbit is covered in a greasy or oily film.

Jim.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like can melt in the lighter pictures. Look like platinum in the darker image. You could do specific gravity on them and that will help some with a 100th gram scale and a graduated cylinder. Can also test them with acids. The problem with mystery nuggets is that some of them are location specific. Since your in an area with some less common materials it's certainly worth getting them checked out. I have an area that gives up all kinds of weird metal nuggets so I keep everything for further testing. I'm actually planning on setting up a basement lab just to positively identify the materials I'm finding. Guess work only goes so far. Fractional distillation, that will truly put it to rest.:laughing7:

Capt.E

Jan 17, 2008
FAR NOR CAL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Xlt , Minelab Equinox 800 , Fisher Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melted Pewter, from a pan thrown in the fire !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread