Help me ID this 5c token please.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out detecting a couple of days ago when I found this "token." I have tried finding it online, and cannot seem to find it anywhere. It was about 5 inches deep, and is the same size as our current nickle, except that it is very thin. The obverse and revers are identical (5c). Any direction or ID would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help and HH! :thumbsup:

Jon

Attachments

• token1.jpg
    token1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 230
  • token2.jpg
    token2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 237
  • token3.jpg
    token3.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 234

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there! I have one identical to yours. I was thinking it probally is some sort of amusement
token.

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Novaman said:
Hi there! I have one identical to yours. I was thinking it probally is some sort of amusement
token.

I thought it could be that too. Or a video arcade token of some sort? I'm sure someone will have an exact ID. I looked all over the net, and couldn't find a thing ( maybe it's 'cause I'm so computer illiterate though)

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
These sort of "generic" trade tokens are seen all over the country, and my opinion is that they were primarily sold to general store merchants for use in their stores. The general store tokens that really interest collectors have the name of the store and (hopefully) the town and state on them - meaning they were custom made. That custom work cost more, and I think some stores went for these "generics" that were undoubtedly cheaper to purchase. Of course, cheap means there is a downside, and in this case, the downside was the merchant couldn't tell whether he was redeeming his own tokens or those from one of his equally cheap competitors in the next town.

John in ID

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens said:
These sort of "generic" trade tokens are seen all over the country, and my opinion is that they were primarily sold to general store merchants for use in their stores. The general store tokens that really interest collectors have the name of the store and (hopefully) the town and state on them - meaning they were custom made. That custom work cost more, and I think some stores went for these "generics" that were undoubtedly cheaper to purchase. Of course, cheap means there is a downside, and in this case, the downside was the merchant couldn't tell whether he was redeeming his own tokens or those from one of his equally cheap competitors in the next town.

John in ID

Thanks Idaho,

That makes a lot of sense.

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
little value, at all, as cool as they look. that older stuff is really neat!
i would keep it and try to get all the denominations. i've seen coal tokens all the way up to $20. also lumber tokens were sometimes issued at .04,.08,.20,.40 .80,1.20, 2.00,4.00. they were discounting the money by 20% somehow.
i use to think i would try to collect old car tags, or tool checks and such. i thought it would be cool to get 1 to 100.

mike

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one just like it here in Arkansas too. It was found at a picnic grounds where we are finding V nickles and IHs. Same depth too. So its possible they are as old as the late 1800s-early 1900s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread