Help Raccoon problem

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago a guitar friend of mine claimed he played a GWAR album full blast for a few hours and it drove the racoon away from it's hiding place inside the house.
Not sure if he also placed photos of the band where the racoon could see as well.
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL I saw Gwar in 1992. Beefcake the Mighty tripped and fell into the barrier against the front row. We grabbed him and tried to pull his helmet off. About 4 of us were yanking on it to no avail. A couple slaves ran up and started hitting us until we let go. Turns out his helmet is strapped under his chin like a football helmet (we probably should have known). With help Beefcake removed his helmet, his face was bright red like he was almost strangled to death. Oderus looked at us in disbelief and said “you broke his helmet”. Beefcake left stage and sat out a couple songs. Eventually, he returned without his helmet (it was broken) and finished the show.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hav-a-Hart 1045 and a sardine on a bit of toast wired to the trip plate so it can't be slid off. 10 second head start the next morning before . . . BLAM! Have about 30 notches in my trap for this method.

Other more proactive methods work better but may put holes in the walls or roof.

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
Coon is likely leaving home @ night to roam outside doing coon things, that's the time to block it out. Moth balls are an excellent critter repellent.

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect there is something safer than ammonia. Google spices and Raccoon hate! I am guessing cinnamon or cloves? Spread it inside the area it keeps coming into.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, the no fail way to rid yourself of a raccoon is to buy it a ticket to Las Vegas. Once it’s there the animal will blow all of its money, marry an opossum and forget all about the ceiling space at your daughters trailer. I’ve never tried this one myself but it’s legit.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coon is likely leaving home @ night to roam outside doing coon things, that's the time to block it out. Moth balls are an excellent critter repellent.

Have you ever seen what a raccoon will do to a house after being locked out with pups inside? Mama will rip a new hole, and do more damage. And mothballs don't work for anything. If I collected all of the mothballs my customers dumped inside attics, crawlspaces and around their lawns, I'd have a truck full.....and every one of them still called me because the mothballs didn't work. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe pick up a cheap telescopic camera , they can be bought for $25 so you can check inside that roof and see whether there are babies in there. But honestly, even if you evict the raccoon, I would want to try to get into that space and clean it out because it may have feces and fleas up there and you don’t want that literal crap filtering into the living space.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dizzy gave the best advice. How many of you guys are professionals? Almost anyone can catch a raccoon, but right now is past the birthing season and the pups are most likely present. If there is no access to the pups, DO NOT kill the sow.
I do wildlife control for a living. You don't want dead pups in the ceiling. You could get lucky and it's a boar, then no problem with making it disappear. Tommy, feel free to give me a call, I'll talk you through it. PM sent.

25+ years as a varmint hunter, trapper, ADC and nuisance work. Gave it up
because I got sick and tired of killing critters just for being critters.

That, and I know a thing or two about raccoons...here's a mama 'coon
taking a break on my porch, and watching her kids play on my lawn.

072719 (5).jpg

072719 10.jpg

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
What is your favorite recipe Dizzy?
Par-boil and than sloppy Joe kinda bbq pulled meat, more bbq sauce sandwiches? Is most popular here...

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give me a pellet gun, some beer and two of your detecting spots and I’ll get rid of em!:laughing7:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call in a expert and best of luck. If i were you, I move your daughter and baby out and never come back.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is your favorite recipe Dizzy?
Par-boil and than sloppy Joe kinda bbq pulled meat, more bbq sauce sandwiches?
Is most popular here...

Harm one of my little buddies and we have a problem.... kitty.gif

I'll toss 'em treats, talk to them, etc. but there is never "hands on". These
are wild 'coons, and I do not want them thinking they're pets. Lucky (the
one laying on the porch) has been coming around for 6-7 years now,
and never once has she acted aggressive towards me, or my cats.

Y'all are used to dealing with those East Coast 'coons that are born with a
bad attitude. Their Northwestern cousins are much more laid back.

DSCF9467b.jpg

Give me a pellet gun, some beer and two of your detecting
spots and I’ll get rid of em!:laughing7:

Never shoot a 'coon with a pellet rifle..all you'll do is leave a wounded
animal in pain. Not cool. If you have no choice but to shoot one, a .22 to
the back of the head is the most humane.

Last edited:

outlaws15

Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have over the 25 plus yrs have dealt with a lot of critters. The momma coon got me thinking about the pass. We had a momma that brought up two or three different sets of babies. The momma would only eat a certain color of old Roy dog food. She would push the other pieces aside for her babies. She was cool. The last day I saw her she couldn't eat any more her teeth looked to bad off she just stared at fd then me. She looked me in the eye and said im leaving now. I followed her out the garage door around the house she looked back gave me a growl(first time ever) and never saw her again.
Funny we quit leaving fd out for the wild critters, except birds and after a yr or so we would get a good size coon just wondered up to be fed. Cautious it was, but I would lay fd down and it had to be one of the babies from mommas coon.
We have had some fun experiences with the wild animals, some not so fun, but that was our choosing.

25+ years as a varmint hunter, trapper, ADC and nuisance work. Gave it up
because I got sick and tired of killing critters just for being critters.

That, and I know a thing or two about raccoons...here's a mama 'coon
taking a break on my porch, and watching her kids play on my lawn.

View attachment 1921326

View attachment 1921327

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give me a pellet gun, some beer and two of your detecting spots and I’ll get rid of em!:laughing7:

Please don't shoot a raccoon or almost any other animal with a pellet gun. Doing so causes needless suffering and infections that could worsen your nuisance animal issue. When you have no other option, use the correct tool, one of which is "enough gun".

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't shoot a raccoon or almost any other animal with a pellet gun. Doing so causes needless suffering and infections that could worsen your nuisance animal issue. When you have no other option, use the correct tool, one of which is "enough gun".

I am aware of this, I was only joking.. I would honestly try humane ways before crossing into that side.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You do know they take big game with air rifles, right? What’s wrong with a high velocity .22 pellet gun?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I nuisance trapped for a co worker. 220 Conibear in front of a bucket with a chunk of ham thrown in back, bucket wedged next to chimney. Middle of the night a catch was made and bucket, coon and all came tumbling down. Clean, no blood, no mess. This set is only safe where pets can’t reach it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread