Help Raccoon problem

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never had to skin ‘em if you didn’t want to. My local buyer preferred the whole animal because he could get an extra $ for the carcass. Dog food or people food, he had no trouble selling ‘em.

My closest "local" buyer was over 125 miles away, or I could sell/ship to Moscow Hide
and Fur. I had a furrier in Los Angeles that used to buy from me, direct. He only bought
perfect hides..no holes, properly put up, but I got 3x the prices that they were getting
at the big fur auction houses. He didn't buy 'coon, but he bought all my Idaho/Nevada
coyotes, bobcat, mink, otter and beaver.

I released most 'coons, smaller bobcat and any coyote that was not in their prime.

Done all the critter killing in life that I care to do. Now, I look for better ways
to deal with nuisance critters.

outlaws15

Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did i miss how the OP took care of this situation? Or is he still working on it?

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a high-schooler in 1979 I was getting close to $50 for fresh road-killed boar coon on the hoof. So crazy back then that you’d pass a fresh kill, turn around, go back in 15 minutes and it was already gone. That’s just like $180 in today’s money.

You're right, it was the late 70's the price was up, not the late 80's. Years ago, here in Pa, if you picked up a road kill coon and got caught, the game commission would fine you. At one time the game commission was putting a dead coon along the road, wait in the woods, and if someone picked it up, they were fined. People were complaining that it was entrapment, so they stopped doing it. Now, if you have a fur taking permit, you are allowed to pick up a road kill.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As a high-schooler in 1979 I was getting close to $50 for fresh road-killed boar coon on the hoof. So crazy back then that you’d pass a fresh kill, turn around, go back in 15 minutes and it was already gone. That’s just like $180 in today’s money.

My last 50 dollar coon was around 79.
Prices dived shortly after and I was out of the coon business shortly after that.
Not because of me stopping , but combined with disinterest in getting skinned in exchange for skinning , coon numbers went way up.
Pheasant numbers went way down. Lots of raided nests.

There were a couple guys that did well with road hits at fur sales.
A friend got a lesson from a buyer who gave a low bid on one road hit pelt.
He tried to talk it up , but the buyer said ,"that's spring mud on it. " L.o.l..
(As if he couldn't already tell it was a summer hide.)

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A2Coins hasn't posted since the 24th when he basically said it was him or the raccoon. Oh my.

Last edited:

Dirty Digger Doug

Jul 17, 2020
Grand Rapids Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to any trapping supply site. Order a bottle of coyote urine. Squirt a little around the entrance point. It will leave in short order. If it is a female and she has babies she will take them with her. If you trap her you will end up with dead ones in your ceiling. You don't want that.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're right, it was the late 70's the price was up, not the late 80's. Years ago, here in Pa, if you picked up a road kill coon and got caught, the game commission would fine you. At one time the game commission was putting a dead coon along the road, wait in the woods, and if someone picked it up, they were fined. People were complaining that it was entrapment, so they stopped doing it. Now, if you have a fur taking permit, you are allowed to pick up a road kill.

Here in WA. it is now legal to pick up a road-kill deer or elk. All you
need to do is get a free, printable salvage permit. If I came across
a freshly hit deer or elk that's DOA, I'd probably try and salvage the
meat providing it was cold enough outside to avoid spoilage.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoke to the OP. He moved into ceiling and the coon took the main living area of the double wide.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never knew of a mobile home to have much of a crawl space in the ceiling.
Must be a snug fit...8-)

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think he has WiFi up there?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm, this could be serious. It looks like the coon won.

He thought he could keep the peace by feeding the raccoon outside of the home. Bad idea!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to any trapping supply site. Order a bottle of coyote urine. Squirt a little around the entrance point. It will leave in short order. If it is a female and she has babies she will take them with her. If you trap her you will end up with dead ones in your ceiling. You don't want that.
Let me be the one who will ask/ How do get a coyote to urine in a bottle/

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me be the one to ask/ How to get coyotes to urine in bottles?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let me be the one to ask. How to get coyotes to urine in bottles?

Don't know if it's done in any kind of controlled setting (like
a coyote farm?), but the way I used to get it was taking it
directly from the coyote's bladder postmortem.

And it is indeed a good way to get a 'coon to relocate herself
and her kids.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Great, make sure the wind does not turn around in your direction. Good luck.

I guess you never used pepper spray to know it jets away from the user. Sure a strong wind can push some of it back, but only a fool would stand there waiting for it or the coons to come flying out of there to attack you. Besides, there's not much wind where the coons were as it was enclosed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread