75.7 KB · Views: 1,126

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
heck yeh cleaner up and shoot her---those old .22 rifles last about forever---you can look up info on it on the web--easily. Ivan

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it is fine shape...a little cleaning and I would shoot it all day long and then some...you can't "break" em. I couldn't see the model number on it but look close and I'm sure you will find one..then google it and you should be able to find a close age of the rifle.

Upvote 0

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
i have an identical 22 just like it it sold in sears it shoots just fine the only thing I had to replace was the fireing pin could be worth in places about 100-

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
ivan salis said:
heck yeh cleaner up and shoot her---those old .22 rifles last about forever---you can look up info on it on the web--easily. Ivan

Well I'll be the first to admit...I have a hard time finding anything--easily on the web.

SC_hunter said:
It looks like it is fine shape...a little cleaning and I would shoot it all day long and then some...you can't "break" em. I couldn't see the model number on it but look close and I'm sure you will find one..then google it and you should be able to find a close age of the rifle.

The only thing I could find was the number 14 with a circle around it, is that the model number?...thanks..

Upvote 0

Dodad

Dec 8, 2006
Gore, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice looking .22 rifle. I have several .22s from various makers. Mine are mostly modern but some of my favorites are the plain models. Yours looks to be in very good condition. If I were you I'd take it out,put some targets up and run some lead through it. I like to use mine to practice with before I get out the big boys. It's a whole lot cheaper and a lot of fun. And remember to clean and oil it inside and out before putting it back in the closet or on the wall.

Upvote 0

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i had one like that, my first .22, a single shot that had to be cocked and fired 5 times till it shot, bad pin. also it was old enough where there was no serial number.

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Nice ID stoney56!

Those .22 single shots are nice rifles. Very good for teaching someone how to shoot. I could always outshoot my brothers, and the .22 rifle made me feel like Annie Oakley. She liked Remingtons if I recall correctly.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were millions of these little single shot 22s made and sold going all the way back to when the first .22 rimfire cartridges were made. They are not particularly scarce or worth a lot of money but they were just good solid safe little rifles. There should be no reason you couldn't fire it today. Excellent little squirrel and pesky varment shooter. Monty

Upvote 0

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
I bought one like this @ Oklahoma Tire & Supply (OTASCO) when I was about 12/14. It and a box of shells came to about $21.00. That would have been between 1968 & 1970. I don'y have any ideal what they are worth today, but I still have mine.

Tom

Upvote 0

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Copperhead said:
An old farmer gave me this years ago, is there a way to date it?....any value?....I know there's a lot of gun owners here, would appreciate any tips on caring for it...I fired it about 25 years ago...would it be safe to do so again?..thanks, I hope I'm not annoying you all to much..

Dating your 22 would be difficult as they were made for several years from the late 1800's to the mid 1900's. If you want to devote some time to it, check for a model number, (it might be a model #14 as you mention in your other post), and note any other details, such as a patent number. Then go to the following web page and check all references to the word "Springfield 22".
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guns-Firearms-Projectile-1501/indexExp_70671.htm

Early on I believe this gun was actually manufactured by Springfield, but later it was "farmed out" to J. Stevens Arms, which was later taken over by Savage, which made guns for other companies. If you need to, you can still get replacement parts from:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/

Hope this helps.

F.

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont use that cheap lead shot use a copper jacked lead
lead fowlings will build up and cause bore damage
never shot just straight lead

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Thanks for the tips all, haven't been able to pin down a date yet..It might be as early as 1906-1910..waiting for info from 2 sources...not as easy to id as you might think.. :(

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When all else fails check with Numrich Arms Co. in West Hurly, NY. They stock parts for lots of old firearms (especially handy for locating parts for foreign military arms).

There are PAGES of Springfield firearms (not including Springfield Armory). I don't know where my catalog hard copy is (it's about 2" thick) but I did find schematics for Springfields here:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=235

But without the model number it would take hours to find the "free viewable" for your exact model. It's not a Model 14 Springfield (that's a shotgun), and unfortunately the model 52 is not a free viewable.

As Ivan Sails said, most .22 LR, especially the old classics, are overbuilt and as long as the bore is clean and clear there is little danger in firing them. I broke the firing pin on my Dad's 1912 Remington Model 12 several years ago and an elderly local gunsmith , now sadly deceased, pulled out the exact one I needed from a row of boxes behind the counter on the first try. You won't get that result at Gander Mountain I'm afraid.

PS - EDDEKALB - I've fired thousands and thousand and thousands of lead .22LR in rifles and pistols. The copper washed variety are a fairly recent development in my life's timeline. I only look for them when shooting "high velocity" loads. I'm very impressed, by the way, with the Sellier & Belliot 36gr copper plated HV cartridges. Good, accurate fodder at the price and effective up to coon sized game. The worst part about the lead bullets is they are waxed, and if carried in a pocket pick up lint and dust. THAT is bad for the bore. A cruddy bullet in the bore is like wiping your car off with a gritty rag. Scratch city. Always carry any lead bulleted cartridges in the box or a dedicated pouch.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep charle ---those old 22 single shots guns are great---simple tuff critters---great for small game rabbit,squirrels (my gramps never used a shotgun on squirrels--- he hated picking the shot out of em--always a 22 and a dead eye shot he was too)---great trainer gun for a kid or a single shot that all that needed type hunter. keep the bore clean --clean em when you use em---only a light coat not too heavy on the oil at the end--yep I hunt and shoot quite a bit. those guns are simple,well built and a very safe type design if handled properly---what more can you want? Ivan

Upvote 0

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a rilfe just like that.

It was my Grandfathers.

He got it as a prize for selling Cloverine Salve (a kind of like Vasoline) when he was a teenager.

Upvote 0
J

joey94

Its an old sniper rifle i'm gassing,how do i no,well i play the game "Call of Dutie" and the spring field is a sniper rifle so i'm gassing its a old sniper rifle with no scope

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions