What's new

Help With Artifact ID

Spats

Sr. Member
Joined
May 8, 2015
Messages
406
Reaction score
608
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My neighbor showed me this artifact that was found on his family's Mississippi farm years ago. The hole is in the rounded end and the flatter end is smooth. The hole is roughly 3/4 inches deep with a teat in the middle of the hole that is about half as high as the depth of the hole. Any ideas as to what this was used for?

Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • Rock 4.webp
    Rock 4.webp
    303.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Rock 1.webp
    Rock 1.webp
    265.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Rock 2.webp
    Rock 2.webp
    247.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Rock 3.webp
    Rock 3.webp
    262.6 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0
I think it is an unfinished banner stone. Very, Very COOL Piece! They were drilled with bamboo & sand. That is why the center piece is there.
 
What is in the bottom of the hole?
 
Appears to be a bannerstone preform. Someone with more knowledge will chime in shortly.....
 
now that is way cool...an unfinished piece that shows the manufacturing process...un broken too...THAT is a rare find and something I would pay big money for.
 
Makes you wonder, what happened? Why did the person quit? Cool piece.
 
Thanks everyone. I will report to my neighbor who will be glad to solve old family mystery. I searched the web and found a couple of pictures of unfinished bannerstones with similar holes.
 
Like Unclemac said. That is a rare and valuable artifact. Anyone who collects bannerstones would want one in their collection. Preforms or unfinished drilled artifact pieces carry a hefty price to collectors.
 
Great example of the drilling process on these artifacts. These were reed drilled with the help of an abrasive such as sand and it would leave a plug in the middle because of the hollow reed. Unfinished Bannerstone for sure.
 
Really cool , I wonder how long it takes to drill one ??
I never thought much about the center piece that’s removed and how it comes out possibly as one piece .... would be cool to find I’ll have to keep that in mind when I find dowel shaped stones
 
Last edited:
Helluva find. Doesn't qualify but definitely a banner find.
 
Last edited:
That is an awesome find. Much rarer than finding a finished one I'd say. And finished one are few and far between down here.
 
What a great find. I like Indian Steve and Grim Reapers replies.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom