CarolinaF thank you for posting those photos.

My paternal grandfather was a Merchant Mariner. He was also an Artist. He painted a picture on canvas of his clipper ship,
The Red Jacket. He died an early death (not at sea), and my Daddy was only 12 years when his Dad died. The painting was either given away, misplaced, sold, or whatever. My family has been looking for his painting for years. Every time I see a painting of a clipper ship, I try to figure out if this is my granddaddy painting.
Below is a pic of 2 pages from my granddaddy's discharge book. As you can see he left Newport News, Virginia on April 2, 1905 and sailed to Cardiff, England arriving August 4, 1905, them left the same day on the HES Hercules back to Newport News, VA arriving July 5, 1906. That's 15 months at sea; no wonder the death rate of Merchant Mariners was 1 in 24.
At any rate, I couldn't figure out the signature, and the figurehead on the ship was hard to see/tell what it was. The Red Jacket figurehead was a life size replica of the Seneca Chief, 'Red Jacket.'
In reality, I don't think your painting is the one I'm looking for because of the signature, which could be the person's name and/or the name of the ship. If you have any information on the people who owned the painting or if they can remember where they got it, I'd certainly appreciate it.
Thanks, Breezie