Help with my Sovereign GT settings please, dirty beaches...

Fatbat

Greenie
Jan 20, 2006
Costa del Sol, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I was hoping someone could give me a few pointers on how to better tune my Sovereign GT for dirty beaches. I have the standard 10" coil and don't own the meter.

I live on the Costa del Sol, Spain. In the last week they've taken down the Chiringuitos, or beach bars. These are wooden shacks of various sizes that serve food and drink and have wooden floors. People drop a lot of coins and if you saw my other post http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,274872.0.html you would have seen that there are a fair number of coins to be found! That was from an area of about 10 x 30 meters and I expect I've missed a few. There are a dozen beach bar locations near me as well.

Unfortunately the nature of the space being a beach bar also means that it is heavily littered with pull tabs, foil water bottle seals, wine bottle tops, crown bottle caps, chunks of miscellaneous foil, rusty nails, and more. The Spanish also have a penchant for wrapping sandwiches and snacks in foil and then discarding it on the beach. The beaches do get raked by large tractors, but the amount of garbage is still quite staggering. Without some discretion I would be digging every 6 inches.

I used to carry a garbage bag and clean what I was finding, but I had to give that up as I just couldn't cover any ground this way.

So can anyone share their settings and tips on searching such a heavily littered area? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a Site has Heavy Litter
First set to auto Sens.

Then turn Disc all the way up

& search.

Ater you arn't getting any more signals

Back the disc off a little, do it again
Etc.

This way your not Overwhelmed
cleaning the site out.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff is right. Aside from digging the whole thing up and sifting it in a screen this is the only way to make some progress. Don't make a job of it or the fun will be gone. :hello:

OP
OP
Fatbat

Fatbat

Greenie
Jan 20, 2006
Costa del Sol, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Thanks for the tips.

My settings have always been as follows:

volume: max
sensitivity: max, just outside of auto
threshold: just audible, set with detector in the air
notch: off, far left
threshold: on
band: 1
disc: about 1-2 oclock tested on a wadded up piece of aluminum foil I bring with me, and a couple of coins
disc: on
track: on << should I use fix instead?

Reading through some of the posts here I don't think I'm setting the threshold right. It should be done on the ground instead.

As you can see from my other post I can find most coins on the surface, and most are as they've been freshly dropped, but I think I'm losing accuracy at depth. If the site wasn't cleaned previously then there could be deeper coins from previous seasons, or better yet, bits of jewelery. Others have told me they've seen people with detectors before, but I've never seen anyone on the beaches here.

The detector nulls on most aluminum, but I occasionally get tricked into digging a pull tab or aluminum can. I've also previously found two small silver rings, like girl's pinky toe rings.

Anyways, thanks again! If anyone has anything else to add I'd love to hear your opinions.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if Max setting on Sense is Clean I Say
that's fine But if it's
erattic Auto will do much Better.

The sovereign has true auto

So If the ground will Handle Max it will adjust
If it Cant handle Max it will Adjust

Threshold should be Barely audible.

I Set mine in the air & Drop the detector to the Ground
then Readjust Dosn't matter I Guess
as long as it's Barely audible when you search.

Yes your Missing things in Trashy Areas.

But that's normal
and also why it's best to dig everything.

Just not all at once As Sandman said

" Don't make a job of it or the fun will be gone. "

I Should Add, If there are alot of
Loud shallow signals Your ears will
adjust to Ignore Deep weak signals,
Untill all those Loud signals are gone.

This is another reason To Dig the shallow loud ones first.
and Never Consider a site Hunted Out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions