✅ SOLVED Help with Silver Teapot/Coffee pot with stamp on bottom.

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you in advance again for your help. I appreciated the help on the fork silversmith mark. I have this old teapot or is a coffee pot. It is silver. But I don’t know if it is silver plate or silver? It is stamped on bottom. The mark is like a bird or eagle? Or something of that nature. It has what I think is a glass handle or maybe ceramic? It doesn’t have a metallic smell or does an earth magnet stick to it. The only stamps are on the bottom. This was a thrift store find.

Attachments

• IMG_5309.jpeg
    IMG_5309.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5305.jpeg
    IMG_5305.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5304.jpeg
    IMG_5304.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Hi - I thought the mark looked like an eagle with a snake so I searched for that. I think it is a match for the German maker J.P. Kayser & Son silverplate.

Here's a Worthpoint listing-

Attachments

• kaysermark.jpg
    kaysermark.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 1
OP
OP
C

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much. I’ve searched and searched and came up empty. Again thank you.

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Internet Not Always Right 1.jpg

No reflection on @Bramblefind, but The problem with ‘WorthPoint’ is that it’s not an authoritative source of information. It just regurgitates listings from eBay and elsewhere without any validation or verification and the information has varying degrees of reliability. In this case, the eBay seller from whom the information came has it wrong.

The mark on the coffee pot from @chadkeath does indeed match the one sold on eBay, buy it’s not a J.P. Kayser mark. Kayser (originally Johann Peter Kayser, then Englebert Kayser and still in business today as ‘Kayserzinn’) was a renowned maker of pewter goods but, as far as I know, not a producer of silver plate. They did use eagle marks for a while, but not like the one on this coffee pot.

The mark shown is that of Kallmeyer & Harjes Metallwarenfabrik of Gotha in Germany. The company was established in 1887 by Philipp Harjes and Hermann Kallmeyer and then in sole ownership of Harjes from 1899. A few years before Harjes’ death in 1933 the company passed into other hands and then went bust in 1938/1939. They used the eagle with spread wings trademark in various forms, with and without a snake in the beak.

Eagles.jpg

Upvote 4
OP
OP
C

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2095759

No reflection on @Bramblefind, but The problem with ‘WorthPoint’ is that it’s not an authoritative source of information. It just regurgitates listings from eBay and elsewhere without any validation or verification and the information has varying degrees of reliability. In this case, the eBay seller from whom the information came has it wrong.

The mark on the coffee pot from @chadkeath does indeed match the one sold on eBay, buy it’s not a J.P. Kayser mark. Kayser (originally Johann Peter Kayser, then Englebert Kayser and still in business today as ‘Kayserzinn’) was a renowned maker of pewter goods but, as far as I know, not a producer of silver plate. They did use eagle marks for a while, but not like the one on this coffee pot.

The mark shown is that of Kallmeyer & Harjes Metallwarenfabrik of Gotha in Germany. The company was established in 1887 by Philipp Harjes and Hermann Kallmeyer and then in sole ownership of Harjes from 1899. A few years before Harjes’ death in 1933 the company passed into other hands and then went bust in 1938/1939. They used the eagle with spread wings trademark in various forms, with and without a snake in the beak.

View attachment 2095760
Thank you for the update. I appreciate it. Sorry for lateness of my reply.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread