DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hit up a spot behind a town hall Monday. Thought it might of been a dump at first, when i saw some broken surface glass But these are the only 2 things to come out of the small wooded area. please tell me i finally dug something from the 1700's ? i know its the smallest part of what i think it is. but i knew i recognized it from something. it looks identical to number 11 right? 🤞🤞🤞

AAFD8126-BB81-4569-ABC4-A5ACE3B53251.jpeg

970BEDF1-3BEA-4FF0-9366-17EFFB62B9F7.jpeg

what is this? a cuff link? a button? its was in the same hole as the one above. is it from the same time period?

Last edited:

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hit up a spot behind a town hall Monday. Thought it might of been a dump at first, when i saw some broken surface glass But these are the only 2 things to come out of the small wooded area. please tell me i finally dug something from the 1700's ? i know its the smallest part of what i think it is. but i knew i recognized it from something. it looks identical to number 6 right? 🤞🤞🤞

View attachment 2095705
View attachment 2095715
what is this? a cuff link? a button? its was in the same hole as the one above. is it from the same time period?
Very cool find. Wish I could help out with the round object

Upvote 1
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. Wish I could help out with the round object
thank you... wish you could help to. i figured it would be a no brainer for someone. i really would love conformation on the tongue as well. it seems like that's obviously what it is, but since i've never dug one. I just wanted to be 100%

Upvote 2

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes, agree colonial. Other disk shaped object is probably a large copper made into a toy for a child or it's a large dandy button where
shank rusted off and broke out of main piece. It's from same time period IMHO. Good finds!

Upvote 2
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, agree colonial. Other disk shaped object is probably a large copper made into a toy for a child or it's a large dandy button where shank rusted off and broke out of main piece. It's from same time period IMHO. Good finds!
"it's probably a large copper..." what?? coin, button?
I dont think its big enough to be a dandy. Although i have never dug one, but i thought those had to be rather large. Inch plus right?

Upvote 0

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buttons are a tricky subject. I've dug copper buttons that size with shanks in an area that held coins from 1700's.
"In general the age of a large flat button is, if approx 30mm in diameter and larger, dates to the 1770-1795 period, but were used heavily at least until 1815. Buttons that are called "Transitional" buttons are 18-30mm in diameter are in general 1795-1805 era. Then the smaller gilt buttons took over as the most popular used buttons."

Copper coins were used for multiple things including gears and washers in farm equipment. They didn't have Amazon or E-bay back then and they used what they had. I'm guessing here on your find. Seems term dandy in US was created right here on Tnet if you believe everything you read. :)

It could also be a 'spindle whorl' used to spin yarn. Probably not but possible.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread