Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a wierd looking rock....

I've never been west of the Mississippi,which is wierd because ,I have been, to every state east or bordering it.Anyway,a friend of mine gave me this rock a few years ago.He said he found it in the desert when he lived in Arizona.It is approx. 10 and 1/2 in. in length,you can see the shape,its pretty uniform and cylindrical in shape.It has numerous small holes(vesicles) all through it.It is dark gray in color and weighs about 4 1/2 pounds.It kinda looks like a big dinosaur egg. :DNow like I said, i've never been to the Desert in Az.,maybe this is a common looking desert rock.Forgive my naivete`if this is the case. :-[ Well what do you think?

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Re: Here's a wierd looking rock....

Dear diggummup;
It looks like a really good lava bomb specimen to me. It was most likely found lying in either an active river or a dried upone due to it's smooth shape.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the quick response lamar!Lava bomb eh,thats pretty cool.H.H.

Upvote 0

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

I see an image of Jacko taking a Roershact test.

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Lamar is correct. However, the possibility exists that this bomb was not found in a river environment and is not river eroded. I have seen a few dozen exactly like yours and these were not eroded? in a stream bed. Just the natural shape after being ejected. I guess the only person who knows for certain is the guy who found it.

George

Upvote 0
J

Jacko

OK GUY"S JACKO IS HERE--- I enlarged the picture and I'd like to know where he found this rock, got any GPS coordinates???? I know I am crazy but, this is a map rock (that's what I call them) You have hearts, anilmal faces.The uniformed drilled holes probably means "varas" as if it was lava wouldn't it be lighter??? Also, the holes wouldn't be uniform. Take chaulk and wipe it all over the rock and you'll see what I see then post another picture. If you can enlarge these photos and send them again, it might help to see what I see.

JACKO

Upvote 0
J

Jacko

Jacko Here-- Took another look-- The four larger holes are all in different shapes. egg, circle heart and a diamond (Ithink). What I am thinking is that the area this stone was found there was a treasure near by, then the markings on this stone should lead you to another stone ans so forth, resulting in at least four treasure spots. To bad the stone was moved as the others were probably in line with which this was lying.
Still there should be other markings near by but, it'll be harder to locate the other stones. Good Luck!!

Jacko

Upvote 0
J

Jacko

P.S.-- Forgot, the white funny lookking mark on second rock is Spanish, The white dots you see are improtant and the larger white spot in first photo could be a hart.

Jacko

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bakergeol said:
Lamar is correct. However, the possibility exists that this bomb was not found in a river environment and is not river eroded. I have seen a few dozen exactly like yours and these were not eroded? in a stream bed. Just the natural shape after being ejected. I guess the only person who knows for certain is the guy who found it.

George Thanks George,I know your a Geologist so I can appreciate your comments.One question though,Is lava rock heavy?I thought it is really lightweight,of course the only lava rock that I have experience with goes in a gas grill,and it is very lightweight. ???

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Hi diggummup
Actually the answer is yes and no. Lava rock which we see forming on the surface such as in Hawaii? is called basalt. It is? heavier than material which exhibits vesicularity(holes). such as in ejected material ( Pumice fall , Scoria) .

It is a neat specimen. I don't have any because the ones I saw were football sized and I was too lazy to carry them back to the truck.

George

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks George. Yeah,this one's as long but not quite as round as a football.Is it possible this is a Basanite specimen?

Upvote 0
T

treaser hunta

I have found rocks just like it on the beach in bloody bay in Little Cayman islands :-\

Upvote 0

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005

I have looked at the rock magnified i dont not see any uniformity in the holes, but on the 2nd side i see what seems to be a key symbol, a closer pic may reveal more, even with magnification its to far from lens and quality is to poor to properly gage anything

Upvote 0

jreitz99

Jan 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Whites

Diggum,

Kinda looks like the poop meteor from Joe Dirt. If you see a fireworks stand with an Indian man named kickin'wing..you could ask his opinion, but I think its poop. ;D

Upvote 0

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama

I've seen a stone just like it hear in Alabama,the one here is made of stetite(sp) and is polished.It looks like a small football.It was dicovered at site where the local Indians lived.It has been with a local family for around 70 years.Believed to be some type of ceremonial piece.

Upvote 0

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

That little piece of rock is responsible for my father-in-law discontinuing the rental of backhoes in flagstaff. Go with the basalt. It heats jack hammer bits so bad they'll grow a bright red just before they break

Wild Boulder

Upvote 0
R

Rich

Wild Boulder Bill said:
That little piece of rock is responsible for my father-in-law discontinuing the rental of backhoes in flagstaff. Go with the basalt. It heats jack hammer bits so bad they'll grow a bright red just before they break

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Wild Boulder

I agree its a Ballast weight,......from a med size boat or ship,....age 1600's and up........

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread