Herkimer Diamonds Hottest weekend Finds

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics patriot, Tesoro silver Umax and a BH 101 Hey Who was laughing? With 8" & 10" coils..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Just got back from another treasure hunt this time at Herkimer diamond mine. So the hottest weekend of the year in New York. I spent almost 8 hours over two days. Breaking rocks open looking for pockets and of course the crystals. So after breaking my wedges. I start busting up some rocks with heavy calcite deposits
Also any rocks with carbon showing. Those rocks tend to look really nasty. I find the uglier the rock the more chance on finding something inside.
So here the haul:
Over 80 Crystals in all. The two largest are just under
9 mm. One out of the matrix.
The other still in place with friends all around another crystal , calcite and carbon deposits.
The loose stones are numerous but most under 5mm. About 30 total I would call jewelry grade average 4mm in size.
Even some cool formations I just had to take. Video coming soon.
20190721_214606.jpg
20190721_214808.jpg
20190719_164644.jpg
15637687429583602608113518436396.jpg
15637688476756737656645989183397.jpg

Upvote 21

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I went up there a few times. That rock is very hard. I don't know how you survived the heat!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to take the kids there in the summer and they loved tubing in the creek. One year I bought the heaviest sledge hammer I could find for the trip - and it turned out to be the hottest day of the year. Being one to "get my money's worth" (ok, cheap...) I was first in line in the morning and stayed all day. Between swinging the sledge hammer and the heat, it about killed me. And the kids found nice herkimer diamonds in the creek. But I got some nice pieces and learned not to bring a big sledge again.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job! :occasion14:

I go there every year to "dig" for diamonds, love staying at the camp across the street. The pizza is great at the next door restaurant!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job! :occasion14:

I go there every year to "dig" for diamonds, love staying at the camp across the street. The pizza is great at the next door restaurant!

We both camped and stayed in a cabin there. We'd stay for at least 4 days hunting diamonds and using the camp as a base to visit Cooperstown, the Remington factory and the Rawlings factory (I used to be a Rawlings stockholder and they allowed stockholders to meet pro baseball players when they stopped by to inspect their bats; one year we met Piazza).

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My Herkimer diamond was a detecting find in a SS "cage".

I'd never heard of them before, but research afterwards made it a delightful find:

Thu Apr 12 21-16-14.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! The doubly terminated quartz crystals emerge just crying out for silver wire wrapping.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like fun I remember reading a few years back that some little kids were at one of those diamond mines and one of the little kids found this huge diamond was big enough to makes the news around the world I wish I was that little brat. lol

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like fun I remember reading a few years back that some little kids were at one of those diamond mines and one of the little kids found this huge diamond was big enough to makes the news around the world I wish I was that little brat. lol

I believe that one was a real diamond (possibly found in Arkansas?). Herkimer diamonds are doubly terminated quartz crystals that come out looking like fully faceted diamonds. In the black rock matrix, they are found in cavities called vugs. They can also be found loose where the rock has been broken.

OP
OP
D

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics patriot, Tesoro silver Umax and a BH 101 Hey Who was laughing? With 8" & 10" coils..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the video as promised. Enjoy HH all.
Just keep Diggin Life.

Monet4sky

Feb 11, 2019
Upstate ny
Detector(s) used
Xp deus, 9inch coil, HF elliptical, whites underwater pulse induction, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I absolutely love that place. I have a like it rocks that I bring home. Makes beauties for earrings. Love them more then real diamonds. Great finds��

Monet4sky

Feb 11, 2019
Upstate ny
Detector(s) used
Xp deus, 9inch coil, HF elliptical, whites underwater pulse induction, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I absolutely love that place. I have a like it rocks that I bring home. Makes beauties for earrings. Love them more then real diamonds. Great finds😁

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there a few years ago. Stayed at the campground across the street, which was lovely. Of course I became obsessed with breaking rocks looking for Herks. My family was annoyed that they couldn’t get me to leave! Came away with some nice pieces. We will probably go back soon. Nice area

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quality of the Quartz crystals up there is amazing. I have found some goods ones myself when I went there as a kid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread