Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my new F5 today from Kellyco. I love it! It is everything I wanted in a detector. It has a steep learning curve compared to the F2. But that makes me want to master it even more. I went to a park that I hunt that was less trashy as the fairgrounds blew my mind with trash. I hunted this park for about 4 hours today getting comfortable with the F5. As I was leaving a young woman ran up to me and said " I saw all the hard work you did today looking for coins, so I grabbed the change out of my cup holder and I want you to have it." At first I was touched by her generosity, and then I realized that she thought I was a poor guy needing change for a meal. She kept insisting I take her money. I told her thank you very much, but I said I do it for the thrill of finding it. Not because I need the money. This is what I do for fun, It is my hobby. We both laughed and I left the park. It made me wonder, is this how people see us? As a sort of beggar or homeless person who is raking the ground to find enough money to survive? I don't understand how they think I could afford a $600 machine but need to comb the park for dinner money. I guess people really are clueless. Oh and I did find another ring with the F5. Clad but it is progress.

WP_20140722_009.jpg

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would you assume people know how much your (or any) detector cost?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have had that happen.
At first I tried to explain this is a hobby, but after a few seconds of a clueless stare look I just took the money, said bless you and moved on.
Didn't count the money in my clad totals, however.

Last edited:

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have told her to bury it and then come back in a few years.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People often lack perspective and are ignoramuses, its the truth.

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mikeray, that is one of the best stories I've ever heard about our hobby! LMAO...... Thanks for posting it.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
As she was holding out the change you should of said that you were hoping for at least a $10 or a $20:laughing9:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have said that Gold is what i was really lookin for....

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the learning curve from a bounty hunter 202 to a F75? Folks ask me what the detector cost. They give me strange looks when I tell em.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need get me some old ragged clothes and a tebogan with holes in it and get the camo make up out and well,look like a bum..could be a new way of gett'in gas money and batteries for my t2 and cz6a and cz20 and so on..:laughing7:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That story is too funny. I have had people (especially kids) throw coins ahead of me to see if I would find them. Once when I was in the water at a beach, there were a bunch of pre-teens horsing around, scooping up sand from the bottom and tossing it at each other. Once came up with a gold ring, showed it to his buddies and then threw it further out. I have been back a number of times trying to find that one ring, without success. It still haunts me. ;-)

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That story is too funny. I have had people (especially kids) throw coins ahead of me to see if I would find them. Once when I was in the water at a beach, there were a bunch of pre-teens horsing around, scooping up sand from the bottom and tossing it at each other. Once came up with a gold ring, showed it to his buddies and then threw it further out. I have been back a number of times trying to find that one ring, without success. It still haunts me. ;-)

Don't think i would have told that story,hum:icon_scratch: not real smart..lol

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned recently that the F5 is part of the new tech Fisher has put into some of their machines. I would love to see a video of one working.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't think i would have told that story,hum:icon_scratch: not real smart..lol

My bad,i thought you found the ring and threw it out to show them you could find it,,pay no mind to the moron behind the curtain,,:dontknow:

KC-Brad

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705
Minelab E-trac
Garrett AT Pro
many others at leisure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is funny about the woman, when I first learning about this hobby, I always thought why more homeless people didnt own some kind of metal detector. :rofl:

If I am ever homeless, I will just roam the earth with my 705.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats crazy is I had the opposite happen to me...I had a homeless dopehead watching me detect for about 30 mins. Then come up to me asking if I could spare some change...Now, not that im against homeless people...but this guy was probally in his mid 20's...looked like he had been up for 3 days, and I just didnt like his vibe...So I told him " Dude, Im out here digging for Pennies, i don't have any money" So he walked off where I saw him meet up with his hooker GF.

But on that note. I have actually given my Change to a couple Homeless guys that I used to see at a certain park. Being down on your luck and have no where to go, i understand...being a 20 year old Meth head is a whole different story.

I used to care what people thought, Now I dont give a shiii...I have no problem voicing how cheap I am anymore

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Changed my mind..

Attachments

• 2001_bmw_3_series_330ci-pic-61954.jpeg
    2001_bmw_3_series_330ci-pic-61954.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think those boys pulled a good one on you.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my new F5 today from Kellyco. I love it! It is everything I wanted in a detector. It has a steep learning curve compared to the F2. But that makes me want to master it even more. I went to a park that I hunt that was less trashy as the fairgrounds blew my mind with trash. I hunted this park for about 4 hours today getting comfortable with the F5. As I was leaving a young woman ran up to me and said " I saw all the hard work you did today looking for coins, so I grabbed the change out of my cup holder and I want you to have it." At first I was touched by her generosity, and then I realized that she thought I was a poor guy needing change for a meal. She kept insisting I take her money. I told her thank you very much, but I said I do it for the thrill of finding it. Not because I need the money. This is what I do for fun, It is my hobby. We both laughed and I left the park. It made me wonder, is this how people see us? As a sort of beggar or homeless person who is raking the ground to find enough money to survive? I don't understand how they think I could afford a $600 machine but need to comb the park for dinner money. I guess people really are clueless. Oh and I did find another ring with the F5. Clad but it is progress.

View attachment 1026882
Yep, the average person thinks your scratching for pennies...it never crosses their mind that your looking for gold and silver jewelry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread