Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my new F5 today from Kellyco. I love it! It is everything I wanted in a detector. It has a steep learning curve compared to the F2. But that makes me want to master it even more. I went to a park that I hunt that was less trashy as the fairgrounds blew my mind with trash. I hunted this park for about 4 hours today getting comfortable with the F5. As I was leaving a young woman ran up to me and said " I saw all the hard work you did today looking for coins, so I grabbed the change out of my cup holder and I want you to have it." At first I was touched by her generosity, and then I realized that she thought I was a poor guy needing change for a meal. She kept insisting I take her money. I told her thank you very much, but I said I do it for the thrill of finding it. Not because I need the money. This is what I do for fun, It is my hobby. We both laughed and I left the park. It made me wonder, is this how people see us? As a sort of beggar or homeless person who is raking the ground to find enough money to survive? I don't understand how they think I could afford a $600 machine but need to comb the park for dinner money. I guess people really are clueless. Oh and I did find another ring with the F5. Clad but it is progress.

WP_20140722_009.jpg

Why would you assume people know how much your (or any) detector cost?

I have had that happen.
At first I tried to explain this is a hobby, but after a few seconds of a clueless stare look I just took the money, said bless you and moved on.
Didn't count the money in my clad totals, however.

Last edited:
Should have told her to bury it and then come back in a few years.

People often lack perspective and are ignoramuses, its the truth.

Mikeray, that is one of the best stories I've ever heard about our hobby! LMAO...... Thanks for posting it.

As she was holding out the change you should of said that you were hoping for at least a $10 or a $20:laughing9:

I would have said that Gold is what i was really lookin for....

Try the learning curve from a bounty hunter 202 to a F75? Folks ask me what the detector cost. They give me strange looks when I tell em.

I need get me some old ragged clothes and a tebogan with holes in it and get the camo make up out and well,look like a bum..could be a new way of gett'in gas money and batteries for my t2 and cz6a and cz20 and so on..:laughing7:

That story is too funny. I have had people (especially kids) throw coins ahead of me to see if I would find them. Once when I was in the water at a beach, there were a bunch of pre-teens horsing around, scooping up sand from the bottom and tossing it at each other. Once came up with a gold ring, showed it to his buddies and then threw it further out. I have been back a number of times trying to find that one ring, without success. It still haunts me. ;-)

That story is too funny. I have had people (especially kids) throw coins ahead of me to see if I would find them. Once when I was in the water at a beach, there were a bunch of pre-teens horsing around, scooping up sand from the bottom and tossing it at each other. Once came up with a gold ring, showed it to his buddies and then threw it further out. I have been back a number of times trying to find that one ring, without success. It still haunts me. ;-)

Don't think i would have told that story,hum:icon_scratch: not real smart..lol

I learned recently that the F5 is part of the new tech Fisher has put into some of their machines. I would love to see a video of one working.

Don't think i would have told that story,hum:icon_scratch: not real smart..lol

My bad,i thought you found the ring and threw it out to show them you could find it,,pay no mind to the moron behind the curtain,,:dontknow:

That is funny about the woman, when I first learning about this hobby, I always thought why more homeless people didnt own some kind of metal detector. :rofl:

If I am ever homeless, I will just roam the earth with my 705.

Whats crazy is I had the opposite happen to me...I had a homeless dopehead watching me detect for about 30 mins. Then come up to me asking if I could spare some change...Now, not that im against homeless people...but this guy was probally in his mid 20's...looked like he had been up for 3 days, and I just didnt like his vibe...So I told him " Dude, Im out here digging for Pennies, i don't have any money" So he walked off where I saw him meet up with his hooker GF.

But on that note. I have actually given my Change to a couple Homeless guys that I used to see at a certain park. Being down on your luck and have no where to go, i understand...being a 20 year old Meth head is a whole different story.

I used to care what people thought, Now I dont give a shiii...I have no problem voicing how cheap I am anymore

Changed my mind..

Attachments

• 2001_bmw_3_series_330ci-pic-61954.jpeg
    2001_bmw_3_series_330ci-pic-61954.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I think those boys pulled a good one on you.

I got my new F5 today from Kellyco. I love it! It is everything I wanted in a detector. It has a steep learning curve compared to the F2. But that makes me want to master it even more. I went to a park that I hunt that was less trashy as the fairgrounds blew my mind with trash. I hunted this park for about 4 hours today getting comfortable with the F5. As I was leaving a young woman ran up to me and said " I saw all the hard work you did today looking for coins, so I grabbed the change out of my cup holder and I want you to have it." At first I was touched by her generosity, and then I realized that she thought I was a poor guy needing change for a meal. She kept insisting I take her money. I told her thank you very much, but I said I do it for the thrill of finding it. Not because I need the money. This is what I do for fun, It is my hobby. We both laughed and I left the park. It made me wonder, is this how people see us? As a sort of beggar or homeless person who is raking the ground to find enough money to survive? I don't understand how they think I could afford a $600 machine but need to comb the park for dinner money. I guess people really are clueless. Oh and I did find another ring with the F5. Clad but it is progress.

View attachment 1026882
Yep, the average person thinks your scratching for pennies...it never crosses their mind that your looking for gold and silver jewelry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back