Hey guys new here but think i got lucky

shawngrey16

Aug 22, 2012
New York(fornow)
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's up guys I'm new hear and been hunting for a couple a weeks and had some luck but not as much luck as I had in my moms attic today I'm new to this so I don't know how good all this stuff is. Anyone wanna share? Would he greatly appreciated. Working on getting some coin holders but there not really in gold condition except for the 1881 Morgan's I think they are

image-775246487.jpg

image-3525869633.jpg

image-3314167136.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shawngrey16

shawngrey16

Aug 22, 2012
New York(fornow)
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And no I didn't pay 400
Lol I think thats the auction number for those 3 Morgan's

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, some of the morgans look Uncirculated, so don't freaking touch 'em.

Go to amazon.com and buy the 2013 redbook, and that will show the rare, and pricier dates. otherwise, your coins are worth ~ 25 times their face value ( a quarter is worth 6 bucks, ect. ) in their silver melt value.

OP
OP
shawngrey16

shawngrey16

Aug 22, 2012
New York(fornow)
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinFetcher said:
Well, some of the morgans look Uncirculated, so don't freaking touch 'em.

Go to amazon.com and buy the 2013 redbook, and that will show the rare, and pricier dates. otherwise, your coins are worth ~ 25 times their face value ( a quarter is worth 6 bucks, ect. ) in their silver melt value.

Alright thank you very much. Much appreciated

OP
OP
shawngrey16

shawngrey16

Aug 22, 2012
New York(fornow)
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright cool my man thank you. Will buy one tomorrow and check it out and repost .
Hopefully there real but we shall see

OP
OP
shawngrey16

shawngrey16

Aug 22, 2012
New York(fornow)
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eminem said:
yeah dawg. Just to make sure they aint steel.

Forgot to tag u in last post but u know what I think I'm just gonn try to run my detector over it. If fake should sound a little different then the real ones

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The magnet is only to detect if it is a cheap knockoff.

A cheap knockoff would be magnetic. Ifit's silver, the magnet will not stick. It might be every so slightly attracted ( EVER SO SLIGHTLY ), but silver won't stick.

FAKE = MAGNETIC <-- rule of thumb with gold, silver, jewerly, ect.

They are not fake, I can see the mint luster :P The other coins are only rarly faked, and that would be the key date. For instance, if that barber half dollar is a key date worth 1000s, then I would say it's probably fake :)

Don't confuse the lad by saying his mom's stash is fake.

OP
OP
shawngrey16

shawngrey16

Aug 22, 2012
New York(fornow)
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinFetcher said:
The magnet is only to detect if it is a cheap knockoff.

A cheap knockoff would be magnetic. Ifit's silver, the magnet will not stick. It might be every so slightly attracted ( EVER SO SLIGHTLY ), but silver won't stick.

FAKE = MAGNETIC <-- rule of thumb with gold, silver, jewerly, ect.

They are not fake, I can see the mint luster :P The other coins are only rarly faked, and that would be the key date. For instance, if that barber half dollar is a key date worth 1000s, then I would say it's probably fake :)

Don't confuse the lad by saying his mom's stash is fake.

Cool man thanks for the detailed info. I learn so much new stuff from you guys day to day and it's great. And damn I wish it was that key date but hey I wouldn't want it if it was fake so I won't complain with what I have.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver prices change constantly, check Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth? to see what each coin is worth purely in terms of silver value.

There are a lot of good free websites listing key dates and errors. Just google the type of coin you have and "key dates" or "errors" and I'm sure you'll find a good one. As far as prices, just go to advanced search in ebay and click "completed listings" then search your coin. Using these methods will be completely free and the prices will be the most current

OP
OP
shawngrey16

shawngrey16

Aug 22, 2012
New York(fornow)
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverForBrains said:
Silver prices change constantly, check Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth? to see what each coin is worth purely in terms of silver value.

There are a lot of good free websites listing key dates and errors. Just google the type of coin you have and "key dates" or "errors" and I'm sure you'll find a good one. As far as prices, just go to advanced search in ebay and click "completed listings" then search your coin. Using these methods will be completely free and the prices will be the most current

Thanks my man I appreciate it. Let's get those coins fellas

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I didn't bother checking the dates of the barbers or the morgan picture, but I wanted to alert you ahead of time about the encased dime. Do not remove it from the encasement and toss it in the junk silver pile. By itself, it is junk silver. But in the encasement, collectors pay a premium.

I just checked the Morgan picture. They are all legit, but the photo is not clear enough to ascertain dates and condition. The 3 in the lower right look to be 1921 Morgans. 1921 is a common date, but in upper mint state grades (which yours are), they carry a premium. Handle with gloves and place in airtites.

Last edited:

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
A tip... Those Morgan's that are in the cases.. Magnet check them.. Through the plastic.
Don't want that magnet scratching them if they are real.

OP
OP
shawngrey16

shawngrey16

Aug 22, 2012
New York(fornow)
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
I didn't bother checking the dates of the barbers or the morgan picture, but I wanted to alert you ahead of time about the encased dime. Do not remove it from the encasement and toss it in the junk silver pile. By itself, it is junk silver. But in the encasement, collectors pay a premium.

I just checked the Morgan picture. They are all legit, but the photo is not clear enough to ascertain dates and condition. The 3 in the lower right look to be 1921 Morgans. 1921 is a common date, but in upper mint state grades (which yours are), they carry a premium. Handle with gloves and place in airtites.

Thank you very much

OP
OP
shawngrey16

shawngrey16

Aug 22, 2012
New York(fornow)
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
conleytheking said:
A tip... Those Morgan's that are in the cases.. Magnet check them.. Through the plastic.
Don't want that magnet scratching them if they are real.

Thanks man I sure will

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a retired school teacher I must ask, " does mom know you ripped her off?" You better get a lot for those because you may be sleeping under a bridge before long. Damm kids today. Oh yeah, welcome to the club. Sweet find which is probably what mom thought when she got them.

OP
OP
shawngrey16

shawngrey16

Aug 22, 2012
New York(fornow)
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chisos said:
As a retired school teacher I must ask, " does mom know you ripped her off?" You better get a lot for those because you may be sleeping under a bridge before long. Damm kids today. Oh yeah, welcome to the club. Sweet find which is probably what mom thought when she got them.

Haha no way man I didn't rip her off.
Me and my mom are
Best friends: believe me.
I take care of her way more then those silver coins would have. I love my mama dukes man I'd never rip her off she knows I'm passionate about the hobby and gave it to me knowin there worth over 500 total.
I'm a huge mamas boy. How have your hunts been going? Any luck?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread