What's new

Hey what to do with the pre 60s nickels?????

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2007
Messages
1,774
Reaction score
569
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey what to do with the pre 60's nickels?????

Hey guys
Just had a few questions. Ive been doing alot of nickels lately. I started with halves but nickels have been alot of fun. I have like 20-30 rolls of pre 60's nickels so far. I know when i started some of you said keep the pre 60's but this is gettin out of hand. Any idea what to do with them all. Im getting to the point where i dont see any reason to keep pullin them out unless its a rare date.
Keith
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey what to do with the pre 60's nickels?????

You could try ePray. You might get your investment and a wee bit for your time. Watch the fees and the shipping. You also might try the classifieds here on the forum. Maybe there are some collectors still trying to fill books. Good Luck, Jim
 
Re: Hey what to do with the pre 60's nickels?????

good question. i understand searching pennies, dimes, quarters and halves but i never understood nickels. the only silver is a scant three year span of 35%'ers. and even when ya find a buff it's usually got no date. i guess it all depends on why you're searching and if you have fun doing it.

i do have to admit that it's pretty cool seein' pics of a row or two of buffs. i'm sure when you guys pull a buff it gets your heart pumping. and hey, isn't that what this is all about?

but then...i'm kinda new at this stuff.
 
Re: Hey what to do with the pre 60's nickels?????

fiddycent said:
good question. i understand searching pennies, dimes, quarters and halves but i never understood nickels. the only silver is a scant three year span of 35%'ers. and even when ya find a buff it's usually got no date. i guess it all depends on why you're searching and if you have fun doing it.

i do have to admit that it's pretty cool seein' pics of a row or two of buffs. i'm sure when you guys pull a buff it gets your heart pumping. and hey, isn't that what this is all about?

but then...i'm kinda new at this stuff.

nickels, they're relatively inexpensive still, and hadn't changed designs from 1938 until 2003 so the older ones never got pulled like wheats. Wheats only get pulled more easily because the design changed. Now that the nickel design has started to change in a few (maybe a dozen or so years) people will probably start pulling original jeffersons because they can't find 'em as easily.

Just my opinion...older ones are starting to increase in value a bit...but slowly.
 
Re: Hey what to do with the pre 60's nickels?????

Hold on to them. Forget about them for about 10 years or so and you'll have your answer. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Hey what to do with the pre 60's nickels?????

Codes said:
Hold on to them. Forget about them for about 10 years or so and you'll have your answer. :thumbsup:

My case exactly... I am putting together a roll set from 1938 to 1961. I am really new at taking CRHing serious I have been in it a year but the last three weeks are the actual ones that count. At this point I am 1 coin away from completing two jefferson books from 1938 to 1961. I have been getting a bunch of "WAR" nickels lately(averaging 3 every two boxes). Once I get my roll I will trade the extra war nickels for nickels I need to complete the roll set.
Once the roll set is complete it will be boxed up for years to come. You will see a rise in the value of early Jefferson's in the near future(3 - 5 years), at least my opinion.
Do the math, there is 66 nickels to complete the first Whitman book for the Jefferson nickels. Take 66 coins times 40(a roll) and you get 2,640 nickels. Take 2,640 nickels times your find price of $0.05 each = $132. At this time there is ONE set on ebay for buy it now $34.95 and another bidding at $23.90 with an hour left. At this point right now you could sell each set for $25.00. Times that by 40(a complete roll set) and the total price would be $1000.00 TODAY's price that is almost a $900 profit, what do you think it will be in 10 years ???
Again just my opinion but the facts are here for you to look at. After I complete a roll set of Jefferson's I am not sure what I will work on, probably the second WHITMAN book of Lincoln cents 1941 - 1974, except the steel cents it is a very easy set to complete. I have 5 sets so far, but I traded silver halves I found to get a roll set of 1943 steel cents. It worked out that a paid about 7cents apiece for all of the steel cents, due to the fact that I got the silver halves in rolls for $0.50 a piece.
I hope this just kinda shows the possibilties of savind coins that you are finding at FACE value.

Happy Hunting,
Jason
 
Re: Hey what to do with the pre 60's nickels?????

def does help
thanx for all the info guys
i think im going to do what Jason said and complete a roll for the whole set
Keith
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom