HHO HOD System to improve fuel mileage

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I've read quite a bit of online stuff about driving your car on water.

Some fanciful, some technical, and some well presented by charlatans and snake oil salesmen.

HHO HOD 12v 'water splitters' that can be bought, or built, and installed under the hood of your car are a very real thing, and they work well, to varying degrees of efficiency.

It's actually quite old technology, and is used a lot, today, in certain fields... 'water torch' for jewelers.

To my friends and fellow members of Tnet, I would like to advise of a couple things.

Experimenting with stainless steel plates is difficult.
Stainless steel plates do NOT fit well in a 32 oz Mason jar.
HHO acts somewhat as a catalyst to improve your fuel mileage... If you own a current vehicle with a computer governing the engine, additional electronic devices will be needed for optimal results.
A toxic chemical is a byproduct of the electrolytic process.

Lots of fun info out there...
Best practical info I've found is at HHOForums.com

Best

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
rmptr, It's not built with stainless steel plates. It is built with stainless steel wire (316L to be exact). I should have bought 19-20 GA wire but I read the instructions wrong and ordered 14 GA wire. My daughter and I still used the wire and built the device but it took both of us to work it around the form. I also used a different material to build the tree or form to wrap the wire around because I had a hard time cutting the Plexiglas. I like my replacement material better and its easy to make.

I plan on installing it this weekend and testing it out next week. There are a few more components to install after I put in the electrolyzer but that will come later. One thing at a time. I figured if I wanted to see if it in fact worked, I would have to build and test it myself. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

My car currently gets 45 MPG highway and 42 MPG combined. If it gets me more MPG great, if it doesn't then I know it's not true. I will let you know how it goes.

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State
I too have been reading the HHo forums, so I had to see water burn for myself I put two stainless steel bolts into a container of water hooked them to a battery charger and made bubbles added a little baking soda more bubbles just a small dab of dish washing liquid and had big bubbles then lit it with a lighter sounded like a firecracker it works the damnedest thing I ever saw water exploding.

S

someotherdude

Hope you guys don't mind if I asked you guys a question about something related but not about water. It's I'm sure a stupid Idea but just something I thought of a while ago when I first heard about Gas/electric Hybrids. I have a generator that produces 5000 Watts while running and 6250 on start up. If I used the generator to charge a bank of say 4-6 12 volt batteries while simultaneously using the batteries to power my car. I'm guessing I could get allot farther than the standard couple hundred miles. The tank on the generator is 5 gallons and runs at load for 8-12 hours. I know this is probably way outta line for most of you to answer but I was hoping one of these electrical type geniuses could tell me why it won't work.

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Well Sod, it does work.

What you're describing is a toy prius.

However, the situation is that you can only get so much result from so much energy.
...and with the prus, you'll need to replace those batteries sooner or later.

It's apparently a good start in the right direction.

Best

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
someotherdude said:
Hope you guys don't mind if I asked you guys a question about something related but not about water. It's I'm sure a stupid Idea but just something I thought of a while ago when I first heard about Gas/electric Hybrids. I have a generator that produces 5000 Watts while running and 6250 on start up. If I used the generator to charge a bank of say 4-6 12 volt batteries while simultaneously using the batteries to power my car. I'm guessing I could get allot farther than the standard couple hundred miles. The tank on the generator is 5 gallons and runs at load for 8-12 hours. I know this is probably way outta line for most of you to answer but I was hoping one of these electrical type geniuses could tell me why it won't work.

There was an article in Mother Earth News aboutr 20 or 30 years ago about a guy that did just this with an old Toyota pickup and a small diesel generator. I suspect that if you google the right set of keywords or dig into mother earth news' archives you might find it. Don;t remember what his MPG was, but it was impressive.

Oh yeah, and if you set it up right, you can use the motor for braking in a regenerative manner - that would charge the batteries as you decelerate, too.

Diggem'

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
For those interested in HHO stuff, Yahoo has a group called WATERCAR that is a forum for discussing all manner of aspects for HHO systems

Diggem

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Farmercal said:
rmptr, It's not built with stainless steel plates. It is built with stainless steel wire (316L to be exact). <snip>
I plan on installing it this weekend and testing it out next week. There are a few more components to install after I put in the electrolyzer but that will come later. One thing at a time. I figured if I wanted to see if it in fact worked, I would have to build and test it myself. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

My car currently gets 45 MPG highway and 42 MPG combined. If it gets me more MPG great, if it doesn't then I know it's not true. I will let you know how it goes.

Still here - lookin' forward to what you find!

Nan

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Anything to report yet? (was Re: HHO HOD System to improve fuel mileage)

Subject line sez it all - how'd the installation go? How's the gas mileage? etc etc

Nan
who really would like to know!

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Nan, there's plenty of HHO HOD stuff at HHOforums.com.

All kinds of pictures and ongoing dialogue...

Best

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
If you are running a newer vehicle, the computer will offset the timing and or adjust the fuel-air ratio
to accomodate the increase in combined fuel. If it is an older vehicle, you will have to adjust the timing and or air-fuel ratio to get the most out of you system. Also you will need to modify your oxygen sensor to cause the computer to adjust for a leaner engine. You can buy two 18mm sparkplug non-foulers at an automotive parts store. Drill one out to 1/2'', leave the other one like it is.Screw the one drilled out into the one left alone. Now remove the oxygen sensor and screw into the one drilled out. Re-install in vehicle with anti-seize compound. This will the sensor see less oxygen in the exhaust and will tell the computer to lean out the fuel. If you have more than one sensor,you must do the same for all in front of the catalytic converter. good luck

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Okay, I built the device just like the guy on Water4Gas instructed me to do and the results after four days of driving is my mileage went down a couple of mile per gallon.

In all fairness, I only used the device. I didn't build the MAP sensor or use anything to trick the oxygen sensor just hooked up the HHO device and let it operate while driving.

I have since learned that using baking soda is as my electrolyte (as he suggested) was the wrong ingredient. I am working on a modified version of his design and will try it again. I have also learned how to test it before installing it in the car and how to get the most out of the device.

I will post again after the new build and the next test. If this new design doesn't show any promising results I am going with a completely different design. I am pretty sure it works, just to what degree is the question. I will keep you folks posted on my progress.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just about to say the same thing Dave.

Farmercal,

Try the easy and cheap method first; Wrap your O2 Sensors in about four layers of foil, so it acts like an oven.

If that works, then move on to build the MAF trick. It's not difficult.

Best-Mike

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Ive been following this topic and obviously it does work, but the correct combination is the Key, I dont know why a person couldent process enough Hydrogen under the hood to run car on only hydrogen other than the cell would need to be large (or multi celled), or why a person couldent use solar power to make hydrogen in a pressure vessel why the car is not in use, then there would be a surplus to be used later, I read yrs ago where some farmers were doing this and using Propane carburation eguipment on thier trucks for the fuel.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could, but hydrogen storage opens up a whole new can of worms "SAFETY". It is what makes the "Hydrogen On Demand" System such a good deal. Dangerously explosive hydrogen is only produced when needed by the engine.

It's not something you want to store in your car.

Best-Mike

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
I finished the modified version of the Water4Gas cell. It's not a very good design at all but since I already had the materials on hand I figured why not. I made a better frame and drilled holes in the frame to hold the wire in an exact measurement from each other. I also made a bubbler, which is just another jar with the output of the hydroxy generator feeding it through a hose. The gas passes through the water and the output is fed into the air cleaner housing to be sucked in with the air to the intake manifold. This is just a safety device in the event that there is a flash back it will just break this container which is full of tap water.

The results were somewhat good. I am making gas like crazy but the amps are getting too high. I can only run the thing for about 5 minutes before the wires are too hot to touch and I have to shut the system down. I diluted the electrolyte by half and I got more time before amps start running away again. I will have to dilute the mixture again this evening and see what happens. I also have to purchase an amp meter to see how fast the amps are running up so I can better determine how much to dilute.

I have switched to KOH (potassium hydroxide) as my electrolyte as it seems to work the best and doesn't make any brown goo during the process. As soon as I get the amp draw problem under control I will give it a test run and report back my MPG average.

Cal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread