What's new

Historical point of view for all CRHers

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
55
Golden Thread
0
I've been reading all the latest postings about the competition that seems to be mounting regarding CRH. Yes, I concur that there are a lot more people getting involved due to the rising price of silver.
However, let me try to give all of you a prospective on the up and down flow of the hobbie. I'm 64 years old (born in 1945) and started collecting coins back in the mid 1950's when my Grandfather gave me an 1837 seated liberty dime and told me never to spend it. I still have it today. Back then, each Christmas and birthday one of my aunts would give all of us nephews and nieces five silver dollars as gifts (and I mean real SILVER dollars.) I think I was the only one who ever saved them and still have them today. Remember, back then a dollar (any dollar, coin or paper) was worth a lot of money. I lived near the beach in New Jersey and can remember when me and my buddies would go under the boardwalk in late August to sift for coins that people inadvertantly dropped and fell threw through the cracks into the sand. We would get a ton of them in a day and then wind up spending them on hot dogs, ice cream and games. I often wonder if I ever found or spent a 1916D mercury dime. Who knows, because back then I had no idea what they were. Remember, there was no "clad" coins then. They were all SILVER! In high school from 1959 to 1963 we used to flip Walking Liberty coins as if they were pennies. In the fall of 1963, I was a freshman at the University of Tampa in Tampa, Fla. and on Monday Nov. 18th President Kennedy was on a motorcade threw the city. I watched him go by me only fifteen feet away. My God, there was the President of the United States so close to me. Four days later, he was shot and killed in Dallas. In 1964 when Congress approved the Kennedy Half Dollar, everyone and their brother wanted a roll of those coins, but in those days, $10 was a lot of money. I could almost live a whole week on that $10, but I got a roll and still have it today (BU Unc.). The price of silver was extremely low then. No one even thought of silver for great value. Actually, Buffalo nickels were the thing. I used to search rolls of nickels and almost everyone had at least 5 of them with readable dates. I saved a bunch of them, but a few years later (approx. 1968) I needed money, so had to get rid of them. I simply rolled them up and took them to the bank. Who knows if there were any good dates. Approximately 1979, I occasionally started looking through half dollar rolls and believe me there weren't as many silver halves as you might think. Almost everyone saved all their Walkers, Franklins and Kennedys back then. Times were good, people had jobs and the "Clads" were everywhere. Silver dimes and quarters had all but dried up. Kennedy 40%ers were still floating around, but not as much as you would think. People hoarded them because of who Kennedy was emotionally and they thought that some day they would be worth a lot of money. In 1980, when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market, many people cashed all their silver in at nearly $50 an oz. (remember, that was 30 years ago). Wish I did too, but many held on for greed thinking that silver would continue to go up. Well!....it crashed very suddenly back down to "peanuts". I often wonder how many silver coins were melted down back then. Anyway, most Americans continued to hoard their silver hoping it would go back up. Now, myself included, people from that era are all getting old. Times are tough and young people don't seem to have an interest in Grandpa's coin collection (in 2007, in NJ, I got 23 rolls of all Walkers and Franklins (turned in by someone who inherited them)....not a Kennedy in the bunch). I doubt that would have ever happened in 1980. So guess what......! all you young CRHers (me included because thank God I'm still alive) are now reaping the benefits due to hard times and people who don't know any better are simply turning in the old coins at banks or coin machines. Ala, you now find them in rolls or boxes. It will continue. It always has, but you just have to be the one who gets to the bank first or sweat and grunt searching boxes. In short, you young CRHers should know that CRHing back in the late 1970's and 1980's was about the same as it is today. Believe me, in 1980 finding 90% silver halves was almost the same as it is today. If there is anyone out there reading this that is my age, I'd like to know your thoughts on this subject. Again, I'm on the east coast in a heavily populated area. It could be different in less populated places (remember, there were a ton of gold mines in California, but none here!). As for the youngsters in this hobbie. Stop whining, hang in there and treat CRHing as "a hobbie, not a living." Nuff said. I'd like to read your thoughs. Hope I didn't bore you readers.
rileyboy
 
Upvote 0
Dear Rileyboy,
Thank you for the insightful post. Here is something I wish to share: my first memory. I was only three years old when President Kennedy was assassinated. That is my very first memory, period. I was setting in front of the television (of course it was black and white) when the news flashed across the screen. In my later years I heard it was a man called Walter Kronkite [sic] that had reported the assassination.

I remember my mother crying and upset. We lived in Dallas so there was "shame" attached to our city--and to "us" in particular. My uncle was a Dallas Police Officer on the scene. His photo is still in the Book Depository in Dallas (The JFK Museum).

Folks--and historians--still debate the theories concerning the Kennedy assassination. Regardless, I remember my mother tucking away few 1964 silver coins--not as a way to horde, but as a tribute to the President. It did not matter at that time if an individual voted Republican or Democrat in Dallas. I still remember the hurt that so many people felt. When I taught AP US History (apush), we took our kids to the JFK Museum every year. I do miss those days.

Happy Silver Hunting,
apush
 
rileyboy said:
999digger,
Fifteen huh! Welcome to coin collecting. It's a great hobby and you will look back over the years and be glad that you saved "a part of our history". Take your time and put together a nice collection for your future children and grandchildren to enjoy.
HH
rileyboy
Thank you rileyboy. I have always been interested in coins since I was about 8 years old. I have been metal detecting since I was about 10 and now I have been coin roll hunting since I was about 14. Your right about putting nice collections together. It is about quality and spending time on sets. In other words put a nice collection together than a crappy one.
HH
 
Apush,
Thanks for your input in this post. So you were only three years old when Kennedy was shot in Dallas. I was a freshman in college at the University of Tampa at the time. On Monday Nov. 18, 1963, President Kennedy made a trip to Tampa and had a motorcade that passed right in front of the University. All the professors let us out of class to see the President pass by. I stood on the side walk as he passed by me in his top down Lincoln convertable no farther than 20 feet away. Wow...I thought....I had just seen the President of the United States in person only twenty feet away. Four days later on that Friday, Nov. 22nd he was shot in Dallas. My roomate and I had decided to drive home to NJ to be there for Thanksgiving, so we planned to leave on Friday about 9:00 am. (yes! we were going to cut classes on Monday, Tues and Wed.) Anyway, we were only a few hours out of Tampa heading north when the news came over the radio that Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. We couldn't believe it, but sadly it was true and all the way up to NJ all we heard was funeral type music on the car radio and intermitten news broadcasts of what happened. I still have the pictures I took of Kennedy as he passed by me on that Monday before his death. Hard to believe that was 47 years ago. His coin is a real tribute and I hope we keep minting them.
rileyboy
 
Because of all the inquiries from our younger members asking how coin collecting and CRHing were were back in the 1950's and 1960's, I decided to do a little research and came up with some interesting quotes from involved people at those times. I've quoted them below:

Gary North, Author of "Mises on Money". "1963 when silver went out of circulation silver was $1.30 per oz. Gold was $35. Coins disappeared quickly.......By October 1963 silver coins were going out of circulation. There was a shortage on the turnpike for making change. There were no clad coins yet. They came in late 1964....(dated 1965.) So, dimes, quarters and halves were in short supply."...."That was the de-monetization of silver. Collectors removed them from circulation. Occasionally, we would find a silver coin among the legally authorized clad, but not very often after 1966. The public did not know the difference. There was no outcry against the Gov. for having legislated the gigantic clad operation. Clad coins with the shining laminate on them were just fine to the average Joe."

Ed Reiter, Jan. 1999 "After the Melts: What's Left in Silver Coins". "Normally, the value of a coin is based on how many were made. In years to come, however, the value of silver United States coins may hinge to a great extent on how many were lost. Millions have been melted for the recapure of their metal, and the impact on coin collecting, while still not fully gauged, is likely to be great as time passes by......Most of the melting took place in 1979-80, when silver soared to $50 per oz."...(NOTE* when this article was written in Jan. 1999 silver was approx. $5 per oz.). Reiter continues by saying, "I discussed this with several coin dealers in 1985 and their comments remain relevent and thought provoking today....Leon Hendrickson, proprietor of Silver Towne in Winchester, Indiana, a dealership that has dealt extensively in bullion-related coins over the years stated, "They destroyed a lot of our SEED COINS" - the coins that got people started - and put a lot of collectors out of business."....Reiter says, "Hendrickson, himself was deeply involved in the silver melts, buying hugh quantities of silver coins from customers and selling them to refiners." Hendrickson calculated that during 1979-80, Silver Towne alone processed "thousands of bags" of silver coins that were destined for refiner's melting pots. He noted too, that from the hobby's standpoint, the loss of silver coins actually took place in two distinct stages: first, their withdrawal from circulation in the mid - 1960's and second, the melting itself....He said, "Once that happened, a guy couldn't go down the street to the bank anymore and get a bag of dimes and go through them and build up a collection.".

The late Joel Coen of New York, a coin dealer who played a central role in the great silver melts stated in a 1985 interview, "I estimate that of all the silver coins produced by the U.S. Mint, only about a quarter survived the the ongoing melts.. He confided that he himself sold refiners $400 million worth of fabricated silver, mostly silver coins, during the one year period from July 1, 1979 to June 30 1980 and he admitted that other guys were doing the same thing."...Coen stated that he remembered one day melting 100 bags of 1963 Franklin halves. He states that he also melted uncirculated Silver Dollars. Hendrickson states...."Everything was effected across the board. With Franklin halves, for instance, I'd hate to say how big a majority were melted down, but I know the percentage was high."

I hope you all find this bit of historical information interesting. Helps to answer some questions as well.
HH
rileyboy
 
Rileyboy,
Would you consider sending a copy of your pics to the JFK Museum in Dallas? These are very valuable to historians and can tell them a great deal about his life. Any pics are ever so valuable of the President.

I can PM you the address and phone number to the museum.

HSH,
apush :read2:
 
Love those stories about the old days. So silver was $1.30/oz in 1963 so the face value of the half dollar was still more than the metal content.. what made all those people hoard them? I guess the melting did away with a lot of them. How come there isn't a fast disappearance in copper pennies today.. or is it happening as we speak?

It's funny my 1984 Redbook has a bullion chart in the back and it doesn't even go above $30/oz. in bullion pricing. The lowest in the chart was $6/oz.
 
SFbayarea,
That's correct. In 1963 the silver half dollar was worth more than the silver content. There just was no reason to save them except for numismatic value. AND...as I have said many times before.....in 1963, 50 cents was a lot of money! Heck....when we were in college and drove home from Fla to NJ for the holidays, you could fill your gas tank for about $4.00. Those were the days!
rileyboy
 
rileyboy said:
He said, "Once that happened, a guy couldn't go down the street to the bank anymore and get a bag of dimes and go through them and build up a collection.".

Nothing that can't be overcome with a little persistence (and a good dump plan), even in 2011 ;D

HH,
cuttybce
 
rileyboy,

Thanks for your historical perspective on silver coins. Like apush, I was young(almost 5 years old)when Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas. I remember watching it on our black and white TV back then. It was definitely a sad time for our nation. I also remember my Mom and Dad pulling silver coins from pocket change. We still have the approximate $200 face silver pulled from the 60's. Saved at least a little from the melting pots! I also remember working for my Uncle pumping $0.30 a gallon gas in the late '60's/very early'70's. Like you said fill her up for about $5 bucks. Silver coins,good rock&roll,cheap high octane leaded gas do bring back memories! My Wife and Daughter just roll their eyes when I reminisce about those times in my youth. My young Son doesn't quite understand,but he will someday. When my Wife and I were married in 1995 she put together a picture board for both of us to be displayed at our reception. Folks thought it was neat that my childhood pics were all black and white while hers were all color. I guess that's what 10 years age difference will do for you. Take care and thanks again for sharing your thoughts!
 
Bugsterx2,
Thanks for your comments. Love the story. Yup...gas was only about $ .30 a gallon and then if there was a "gas war" going on, some of the gas stations would drop their price as low as $ .19 a gallon. They also cleaned your windshield. Remember that!
rileyboy
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom