What's new

Historical point of view for all CRHers

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
55
Golden Thread
0
I've been reading all the latest postings about the competition that seems to be mounting regarding CRH. Yes, I concur that there are a lot more people getting involved due to the rising price of silver.
However, let me try to give all of you a prospective on the up and down flow of the hobbie. I'm 64 years old (born in 1945) and started collecting coins back in the mid 1950's when my Grandfather gave me an 1837 seated liberty dime and told me never to spend it. I still have it today. Back then, each Christmas and birthday one of my aunts would give all of us nephews and nieces five silver dollars as gifts (and I mean real SILVER dollars.) I think I was the only one who ever saved them and still have them today. Remember, back then a dollar (any dollar, coin or paper) was worth a lot of money. I lived near the beach in New Jersey and can remember when me and my buddies would go under the boardwalk in late August to sift for coins that people inadvertantly dropped and fell threw through the cracks into the sand. We would get a ton of them in a day and then wind up spending them on hot dogs, ice cream and games. I often wonder if I ever found or spent a 1916D mercury dime. Who knows, because back then I had no idea what they were. Remember, there was no "clad" coins then. They were all SILVER! In high school from 1959 to 1963 we used to flip Walking Liberty coins as if they were pennies. In the fall of 1963, I was a freshman at the University of Tampa in Tampa, Fla. and on Monday Nov. 18th President Kennedy was on a motorcade threw the city. I watched him go by me only fifteen feet away. My God, there was the President of the United States so close to me. Four days later, he was shot and killed in Dallas. In 1964 when Congress approved the Kennedy Half Dollar, everyone and their brother wanted a roll of those coins, but in those days, $10 was a lot of money. I could almost live a whole week on that $10, but I got a roll and still have it today (BU Unc.). The price of silver was extremely low then. No one even thought of silver for great value. Actually, Buffalo nickels were the thing. I used to search rolls of nickels and almost everyone had at least 5 of them with readable dates. I saved a bunch of them, but a few years later (approx. 1968) I needed money, so had to get rid of them. I simply rolled them up and took them to the bank. Who knows if there were any good dates. Approximately 1979, I occasionally started looking through half dollar rolls and believe me there weren't as many silver halves as you might think. Almost everyone saved all their Walkers, Franklins and Kennedys back then. Times were good, people had jobs and the "Clads" were everywhere. Silver dimes and quarters had all but dried up. Kennedy 40%ers were still floating around, but not as much as you would think. People hoarded them because of who Kennedy was emotionally and they thought that some day they would be worth a lot of money. In 1980, when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market, many people cashed all their silver in at nearly $50 an oz. (remember, that was 30 years ago). Wish I did too, but many held on for greed thinking that silver would continue to go up. Well!....it crashed very suddenly back down to "peanuts". I often wonder how many silver coins were melted down back then. Anyway, most Americans continued to hoard their silver hoping it would go back up. Now, myself included, people from that era are all getting old. Times are tough and young people don't seem to have an interest in Grandpa's coin collection (in 2007, in NJ, I got 23 rolls of all Walkers and Franklins (turned in by someone who inherited them)....not a Kennedy in the bunch). I doubt that would have ever happened in 1980. So guess what......! all you young CRHers (me included because thank God I'm still alive) are now reaping the benefits due to hard times and people who don't know any better are simply turning in the old coins at banks or coin machines. Ala, you now find them in rolls or boxes. It will continue. It always has, but you just have to be the one who gets to the bank first or sweat and grunt searching boxes. In short, you young CRHers should know that CRHing back in the late 1970's and 1980's was about the same as it is today. Believe me, in 1980 finding 90% silver halves was almost the same as it is today. If there is anyone out there reading this that is my age, I'd like to know your thoughts on this subject. Again, I'm on the east coast in a heavily populated area. It could be different in less populated places (remember, there were a ton of gold mines in California, but none here!). As for the youngsters in this hobbie. Stop whining, hang in there and treat CRHing as "a hobbie, not a living." Nuff said. I'd like to read your thoughs. Hope I didn't bore you readers.
rileyboy
 
Upvote 0
diggummup said:
Great Post rileyboy!

Yes, Rileyboy, a great post.

Now is the time to look at the past coins that have increased in value due to mintage numbers, look at current coins for profit potential and decide what you will collect for tommorrow. Is it something that will bring a handsome premiun when resold or will it be what your passion is?

I hope that everyone will find the collectible coin of their passion! :headbang:

Best,
Scott
 
I too remember the old days. We use to drop 1000.00 dollar bags of halves on the kitchen table. The year 1963-1964. Most were Bens quite afew Walkers and a few Kens. Check dates for our whitman books and throw the rest back in the bag for another round. 1938-D was the most sought after coin then. I think my book started at 1936. But you know you guys are missing alot of $$$$$ if you are only searching for 90% and 40% as there are lots of Kens that are worth keeping. 1986, 1988, 1991, 1992,,1995. I just sold two BU rolls of 1995-D halves for 35.00 each. So you guys keep pulling the silver and I'll keep pulling the BU coins and we'll all be happy
 
Numismaster9000
Welcome to the forum. I was surprised to see my post from last March come up on the forum again after almost a year. Then I read your post. Glad you enjoyed reading about all us older guys. Ha! anyway...I hope the new members of this forum who didn't see this post last year will get a lot out of it. I think us older guys put it all in perspective. CRHing is a great hobby. All the best to everyone. The silver and good old coins are still out there for the finding.
rileyboy
 
I would like to share a story myself. I to am almost 50(This Year God Willing) and have experienced a few stories. The one that I really like happened about a year ago. I have a very good friend who gave me a 1961 US Proof Set for my birthday. I was instantly hooked on coins and collecting that day, some might call it an obsession. My father has been with the Lord now for about five or six years and my mother was cleaning out their safe at home. She came across several coins and wanted me to look at them. Now at this time I am about six or seven months into my obsession that my best friend started :laughing7: and have read several books, searched tons of boxes and purchased lots of Morgans and Silver rounds.

The coins that she brings over are mostly Clad halfs but she had a few interesting ones in the bunch, one of which is my avatar. Seems that my father had an obsession with Liberty Quarters and Buffs. The Buffs were all stolen from our home when I was
11 years old, but they didn't take the Liberty Quarters.... :icon_scratch:. She ended up giving me the Liberty Quarter which will now be passed down to my youngest son. She also had a ton of paper money from around the world including a 5 cent MPC note from the Korean era that was graded AU58 and worth a little bit of change... :laughing7:. But the most interesting one was a check drawn on the bank of Italy during WWII. Seems that one of my uncles was serving in that theater at the time and came across the note. I had it examined and it was determined that the Nazi's were running out of money towards the end of the war and used Checks to pay their troops with instead of cash. This check was payment to a soldier fighting for Germany and was probably deceased when it was taken from him. It was never signed and it was not made out to an individual and to add more authentication to it, there was a little blood on the bottom left corner of the note. It is history, but it is also treasure from a source you would not have thought of. My mother was just going to PAWN everything and take all the coins to the bank to
turn in for cash. That would have put several Standing Liberty Quarters into the pool to pull from as well as several Bens and WLH.

As Riley Boy has always said, It is out there, you just have to be the first to get it.

Thanks for letting me tell my story although the its history is different, the message is still the same. Stop whining and enjoy what you are doing or take up Cross Stitch or Golf.

Happy Hunting to all.
 
FreedomUIC,
Great story! I'm glad that your mother didn't take those coins and bills to the bank. The German check from WWII is a sensational piece of history. Hang on to all those things! When I was in Vietnam, we weren't allowed to have U.S.cash. We used "Military Script notes" in various denominations. They are worth quite a bit of money now, especially if they are in good shape. I kept a few over the years, but eventually sold them to a dealer for a very nice profit. I'm not a collector of paper money, but always enjoy a "red" note or silver certificate in nice shape. Thanks for your story. I hope the younger people on this forum learn a lot from it. Anybody else have some interesting tidbits?
rileyboy
 
Thanks Rileyboy!!! Awesome post!!!
 
I'm 53, I have always loved coins and kept all the silver coins I had found over the years. But 1980 was a time of being on my own and jobless, with rent to pay. Sold my silver, baseball cards, comic books, and even some soon to be very collectible Star Wars toys. Didn't get much for most of it, but I remember getting $17 dollars each for my 64 Kennedy's and Franklin halves. I doubt if the guy that bought them made anything on them.

This is a very interesting thread. I wonder where we will be in another year, or two, or five.
 
Dave5710,
Thanks for the information. I also had some silver coins back in 1979/80 when silver was priced at almost $50. That was when the Hunt Bros. tried to corner the silver market. Unfortunately for me, I was located overseas at the time and all my silver coins were is my safe deposit box here in the states. By the time I got transferred back stateside, the price of silver had dropped dramatically down to "peanuts". Perhaps it was a good thing for me. Since I am a coin "collector", I still have the coins.
Thanks for your input on this post.
rileyboy
 
Recently reunited with an old friend of mine from High school. We parted ways after a fight over a girl 34 years ago. While talking and catching up recently, the subject of coin roll hunting came up. He absolutely floored me with his story of how he had completed full sets of every denomination, including Silver Dollars CRH after he finished high school in 1976.

I'm certain that his 30 year jump start on me would have caught my attention sooner had we continued to be friends after the fight over little Debbie........ as luck would have it i managed to discover this hobby in 2005 30 years later than he did, but just in time to pull some nice numbers before the current drought I am experiencing.

Mojo
 
Time for a trip back to memory lane,otherwise known as "Little Italy" in Hartford,Connecticut. A place where the old timers stood on the corner gesticulating with their hands and conversing in a language that I couldn't speak,but could understand a bit.
In the late 1950's to mid 60's the coins jingled, the freshly cut grass smelled real good,and you could still hear your mother calling you from a block away.
When my great-grandfather would come visit he would pat me on the head,give me a handful of wheaties and say in broken English"Youa niceah boy" :laughing7:
My American grandfather gave me a box with a bunch of Indian Heads,a few seated dimes,a 3 cent nickel, and my favorite, an 1836 quarter.
I always had an interest in history,and as a kid would look at these old coins and wonder what was going on in the world when these coins were struck.
I distinctly remember the silver sound as my father with his hands in his pockets jingled his change.
I couldn't wait to have a pocketful of change myself, so one Sunday when it was my turn to throw the change my father had given to me into the Church basket,I palmed it.
Silver dimes and quarters I jingled in my pocket after the church heist. I would have spent it but back then the stores were closed on Sundays. Unfortunately for me,my father heard me jingleling the change,and asked me where I got it. I confessed and got the strap. :help:
The strap,and a father who had hands which back then seemed as big as a catchers mitt, kept me out of a lot of trouble and a lifetime of grief.
I was 11 or 12 when they stopped making coins in silver,but they still circulated well into my teens. I remember when I was 16 a friend of mine had a cigar box full of silver quarters. I asked him why he was saving them and he told me they were silver. I told him that he was nuts and lets use the money to go out and have some fun.
Everyday my mother would send me to the corner store to pick up a loaf of bread and a pack of L&M's. She would always give me a half dollar,usually a Ben,but once in a while a Walker.
On a very rare occasion when,my grandmother would visit she would give me a half dollar,I remember them being walkers. Fifty cents was a lot of money. I could buy toys with that.
The most common coin that I would get as a kid was a nickel for a pack of baseball cards or a candy bar. Buffalo nickels were very common. We just spent them,never giving it a second thought. I remember them being mostly dateless even back then,along with the standing liberty quarters that I would come across.
I have to run
HH
Rich
 
Rich,
Thanks for your thoughts and input. Reading your remarks brought me right back to those years. Your comments reminded me of my young years and all the coins we went through as kids. My father used to send me to the gas station on the corner to get him a pack of cigarettes from the machine. He gave me a quarter. Cigarettes were only 23 cents a pack back then, so the pack contained two pennies inside the cellophane wrapper as change. My father always let me keep those two pennies. Of course they were wheaties at the time (approx. time was 1951). I often wonder now how many of them were "key dates". Ha! I also remember all the Buffalo nickels in circulation and as you stated, many had their dates worn off even then. Same for the Standing Liberty quarters. Half dollars were all over the place, but back then 50 cents was a lot of money. Nobody was rich enough to save them. Those were great years! Remember flipping all your baseball cards with your friends. I wish I had those brand new Mickey Mantle's now. Same for the "Say Hey" kid...Willie Mays. Anyway...thanks for your comments. I know the younger CRHers on this forum enjoy our history lessons.
rileyboy
 
Rich Hartford said:
I confessed and got the strap. :help:
The strap,and a father who had hands which back then seemed as big as a catchers mitt, kept me out of a lot of trouble and a lifetime of grief.
Rich


RH,

You didn't need a strap, you needed some type of ADHD, ADD, etc, pill to keep you behaving, just like all the well-adjusted kids take today. You would have been much better off I believe. (insert sarcasm icon here).

Jim
 
rileyboy said:
Rich,
Thanks for your thoughts and input. Reading your remarks brought me right back to those years. Your comments reminded me of my young years and all the coins we went through as kids. My father used to send me to the gas station on the corner to get him a pack of cigarettes from the machine. He gave me a quarter. Cigarettes were only 23 cents a pack back then, so the pack contained two pennies inside the cellophane wrapper as change. My father always let me keep those two pennies. Of course they were wheaties at the time (approx. time was 1951). I often wonder now how many of them were "key dates". Ha! I also remember all the Buffalo nickels in circulation and as you stated, many had their dates worn off even then. Same for the Standing Liberty quarters. Half dollars were all over the place, but back then 50 cents was a lot of money. Nobody was rich enough to save them. Those were great years! Remember flipping all your baseball cards with your friends. I wish I had those brand new Mickey Mantle's now. Same for the "Say Hey" kid...Willie Mays. Anyway...thanks for your comments. I know the younger CRHers on this forum enjoy our history lessons.
rileyboy

Rileyboy,
All the kids flipped baseball cards. Noxies, Topsies, and Farsies :laughing9: Heck, my father flipped cards when he was a kid. I had cigar boxes filled with cards,some older than me.
Here is one for you "Pea Shooters". Remember them? :laughing7:
HH
Rich
 
This is a very interesting forum, Rileyboy. I am fifteen years old and I would have thought that the farther you go back in time the more silver, but that is not true.
HH
 
Rich,
Yup, sure do remember those "pea shooters". All the mothers were fearful that someone would lose an eye, so we could only shoot at the other kids feet. If you did that today...they'd call it child abuse. How about playing "stoop ball" with that pink "high bouncer". Field the grounder and it was an out. Knocked it down and it was a single. If you threw the ball perfect and it hit the edge of the step....man! did it soar high and deep for a homer! I had a friend named Donnie and everytime I threw a perfect homer he would complain that a car was coming and he couldn't chase it down. What a B.S.er he was. Those certainly were the days. Getting back to the coins......I think you hit it on the head. Baseball cards were a better hobby back then.
Stay well friend.
rileyboy
 
999digger,
Fifteen huh! Welcome to coin collecting. It's a great hobby and you will look back over the years and be glad that you saved "a part of our history". Take your time and put together a nice collection for your future children and grandchildren to enjoy.
HH
rileyboy
 
These are great posts, thanks for sharing Rich and Rileyboy!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom