What's new

Historical point of view for all CRHers

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
55
Golden Thread
0
I've been reading all the latest postings about the competition that seems to be mounting regarding CRH. Yes, I concur that there are a lot more people getting involved due to the rising price of silver.
However, let me try to give all of you a prospective on the up and down flow of the hobbie. I'm 64 years old (born in 1945) and started collecting coins back in the mid 1950's when my Grandfather gave me an 1837 seated liberty dime and told me never to spend it. I still have it today. Back then, each Christmas and birthday one of my aunts would give all of us nephews and nieces five silver dollars as gifts (and I mean real SILVER dollars.) I think I was the only one who ever saved them and still have them today. Remember, back then a dollar (any dollar, coin or paper) was worth a lot of money. I lived near the beach in New Jersey and can remember when me and my buddies would go under the boardwalk in late August to sift for coins that people inadvertantly dropped and fell threw through the cracks into the sand. We would get a ton of them in a day and then wind up spending them on hot dogs, ice cream and games. I often wonder if I ever found or spent a 1916D mercury dime. Who knows, because back then I had no idea what they were. Remember, there was no "clad" coins then. They were all SILVER! In high school from 1959 to 1963 we used to flip Walking Liberty coins as if they were pennies. In the fall of 1963, I was a freshman at the University of Tampa in Tampa, Fla. and on Monday Nov. 18th President Kennedy was on a motorcade threw the city. I watched him go by me only fifteen feet away. My God, there was the President of the United States so close to me. Four days later, he was shot and killed in Dallas. In 1964 when Congress approved the Kennedy Half Dollar, everyone and their brother wanted a roll of those coins, but in those days, $10 was a lot of money. I could almost live a whole week on that $10, but I got a roll and still have it today (BU Unc.). The price of silver was extremely low then. No one even thought of silver for great value. Actually, Buffalo nickels were the thing. I used to search rolls of nickels and almost everyone had at least 5 of them with readable dates. I saved a bunch of them, but a few years later (approx. 1968) I needed money, so had to get rid of them. I simply rolled them up and took them to the bank. Who knows if there were any good dates. Approximately 1979, I occasionally started looking through half dollar rolls and believe me there weren't as many silver halves as you might think. Almost everyone saved all their Walkers, Franklins and Kennedys back then. Times were good, people had jobs and the "Clads" were everywhere. Silver dimes and quarters had all but dried up. Kennedy 40%ers were still floating around, but not as much as you would think. People hoarded them because of who Kennedy was emotionally and they thought that some day they would be worth a lot of money. In 1980, when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market, many people cashed all their silver in at nearly $50 an oz. (remember, that was 30 years ago). Wish I did too, but many held on for greed thinking that silver would continue to go up. Well!....it crashed very suddenly back down to "peanuts". I often wonder how many silver coins were melted down back then. Anyway, most Americans continued to hoard their silver hoping it would go back up. Now, myself included, people from that era are all getting old. Times are tough and young people don't seem to have an interest in Grandpa's coin collection (in 2007, in NJ, I got 23 rolls of all Walkers and Franklins (turned in by someone who inherited them)....not a Kennedy in the bunch). I doubt that would have ever happened in 1980. So guess what......! all you young CRHers (me included because thank God I'm still alive) are now reaping the benefits due to hard times and people who don't know any better are simply turning in the old coins at banks or coin machines. Ala, you now find them in rolls or boxes. It will continue. It always has, but you just have to be the one who gets to the bank first or sweat and grunt searching boxes. In short, you young CRHers should know that CRHing back in the late 1970's and 1980's was about the same as it is today. Believe me, in 1980 finding 90% silver halves was almost the same as it is today. If there is anyone out there reading this that is my age, I'd like to know your thoughts on this subject. Again, I'm on the east coast in a heavily populated area. It could be different in less populated places (remember, there were a ton of gold mines in California, but none here!). As for the youngsters in this hobbie. Stop whining, hang in there and treat CRHing as "a hobbie, not a living." Nuff said. I'd like to read your thoughs. Hope I didn't bore you readers.
rileyboy
 
Upvote 0
I mostly CRH Pennies, so I ain't got a dog in the silver fight.
I sometimes find a silver dime or more rarely a quarter in my pocket change.

I pull the pre 82 coppers and look for varieties and errors. It takes more time than scanning the edges of an entire roll all at once looking for the unclad. It also involves more knowledge of WHAT dates and mint marks those errors and varieties are. Most people would equate this extra effort as WORK and will not do it. Good. Fine with me. MORE for me!
Just gotta find your own niche...

Best Wishes All,
Scott
 
Good story,

I bet that when the us gov changed form silver to clad all the people began keeping the silver ones.

making crh for silver most difficult.

DW
 
mountainman 2 said:
Great post Rileyboy, i spent my entire life in the Garden State but up North. Any of you remember a small attraction called Jungle Habitat. That was my neck of the woods growing up.

My mother WORKED for Jungle Habitat! Yeah, I remember that place.

Just recently tried to bid on a sign that was from the road saying "Jungle Habitat 1 Mile". But someone outbid me.

There is a Jungle Habitat group on yahoo, although inactive for the most part. there are some recent pictures of the place though that are pretty neat. :-)

My brother snuck in the monkey driving section one night (Since my mom worked there he was there after closing) and was attacked by a few monkeys. had to be saved by a patrol of "rangers" that heard the commotion.
 
jrf30 said:
mountainman 2 said:
Great post Rileyboy, i spent my entire life in the Garden State but up North. Any of you remember a small attraction called Jungle Habitat. That was my neck of the woods growing up.

My mother WORKED for Jungle Habitat! Yeah, I remember that place.

Just recently tried to bid on a sign that was from the road saying "Jungle Habitat 1 Mile". But someone outbid me.

There is a Jungle Habitat group on yahoo, although inactive for the most part. there are some recent pictures of the place though that are pretty neat. :-)

My brother snuck in the monkey driving section one night (Since my mom worked there he was there after closing) and was attacked by a few monkeys. had to be saved by a patrol of "rangers" that heard the commotion.
I was there with my family when i was a teenager.For those of you that don't know,Jungle habitat was a safari theme park where you drove thru in your car.The animals roamed around freely. More then a few antennas were broken off by curious animals.
 
loved the post. thanks for the history lesson
 
rileyboy said:
I've been reading all the latest postings about the competition that seems to be mounting regarding CRH. Yes, I concur that there are a lot more people getting involved due to the rising price of silver.
However, let me try to give all of you a prospective on the up and down flow of the hobbie. I'm 64 years old (born in 1945) and started collecting coins back in the mid 1950's when my Grandfather gave me an 1837 seated liberty dime and told me never to spend it. I still have it today. Back then, each Christmas and birthday one of my aunts would give all of us nephews and nieces five silver dollars as gifts (and I mean real SILVER dollars.) I think I was the only one who ever saved them and still have them today. Remember, back then a dollar (any dollar, coin or paper) was worth a lot of money. I lived near the beach in New Jersey and can remember when me and my buddies would go under the boardwalk in late August to sift for coins that people inadvertantly dropped and fell threw through the cracks into the sand. We would get a ton of them in a day and then wind up spending them on hot dogs, ice cream and games. I often wonder if I ever found or spent a 1916D mercury dime. Who knows, because back then I had no idea what they were. Remember, there was no "clad" coins then. They were all SILVER! In high school from 1959 to 1963 we used to flip Walking Liberty coins as if they were pennies. In the fall of 1963, I was a freshman at the University of Tampa in Tampa, Fla. and on Monday Nov. 18th President Kennedy was on a motorcade threw the city. I watched him go by me only fifteen feet away. My God, there was the President of the United States so close to me. Four days later, he was shot and killed in Dallas. In 1964 when Congress approved the Kennedy Half Dollar, everyone and their brother wanted a roll of those coins, but in those days, $10 was a lot of money. I could almost live a whole week on that $10, but I got a roll and still have it today (BU Unc.). The price of silver was extremely low then. No one even thought of silver for great value. Actually, Buffalo nickels were the thing. I used to search rolls of nickels and almost everyone had at least 5 of them with readable dates. I saved a bunch of them, but a few years later (approx. 1968) I needed money, so had to get rid of them. I simply rolled them up and took them to the bank. Who knows if there were any good dates. Approximately 1979, I occasionally started looking through half dollar rolls and believe me there weren't as many silver halves as you might think. Almost everyone saved all their Walkers, Franklins and Kennedys back then. Times were good, people had jobs and the "Clads" were everywhere. Silver dimes and quarters had all but dried up. Kennedy 40%ers were still floating around, but not as much as you would think. People hoarded them because of who Kennedy was emotionally and they thought that some day they would be worth a lot of money. In 1980, when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market, many people cashed all their silver in at nearly $50 an oz. (remember, that was 30 years ago). Wish I did too, but many held on for greed thinking that silver would continue to go up. Well!....it crashed very suddenly back down to "peanuts". I often wonder how many silver coins were melted down back then. Anyway, most Americans continued to hoard their silver hoping it would go back up. Now, myself included, people from that era are all getting old. Times are tough and young people don't seem to have an interest in Grandpa's coin collection (in 2007, in NJ, I got 23 rolls of all Walkers and Franklins (turned in by someone who inherited them)....not a Kennedy in the bunch). I doubt that would have ever happened in 1980. So guess what......! all you young CRHers (me included because thank God I'm still alive) are now reaping the benefits due to hard times and people who don't know any better are simply turning in the old coins at banks or coin machines. Ala, you now find them in rolls or boxes. It will continue. It always has, but you just have to be the one who gets to the bank first or sweat and grunt searching boxes. In short, you young CRHers should know that CRHing back in the late 1970's and 1980's was about the same as it is today. Believe me, in 1980 finding 90% silver halves was almost the same as it is today. If there is anyone out there reading this that is my age, I'd like to know your thoughts on this subject. Again, I'm on the east coast in a heavily populated area. It could be different in less populated places (remember, there were a ton of gold mines in California, but none here!). As for the youngsters in this hobbie. Stop whining, hang in there and treat CRHing as "a hobbie, not a living." Nuff said. I'd like to read your thoughs. Hope I didn't bore you readers.
rileyboy

So do you know how likely it was to find Barber coins and/or Seated coins in the 1950s and 1960s? From what my grandfather has told me, they were still floating around even well into the mid 20th century.
 
We are finding Barbers and seateds in circulation today. Maybe not as common as in the mid-twentieth century, but they are still turning up.
Rileyboy is right. Back in the seventies when I was a teen, people were hoarding silver. I remember seeing jars full of mercs and other silver coins kept by neighbors. When I was collecting and crhing then, it was just as thrilling finding a silver half or quarter as it is today. ffd
 
I'm really impressed with the responses to my post from both young and old. I think I posted it at the right time, because of what I was reading from younger CRHers about thin pickings and more competition. As I said earlier, even in the 1950's and early 1960's when dimes, quarters and halves were all silver, nobody ever throught that would change. Serious CRHers simply looked for the rare dates. As a ten year old, I looked through many pennies looking for the infamous 1955 double die. Never found one. I had no idea what any of the other key dates were in dimes and quarters. In 1965, when clad appeared, the Government rapidly started taking all silver coins out of circulation. People started hoarding them and within a very short time dimes and quarters dried up. There were still some halves out there, but not that many. I think it was the same back then as it is today. Many of the CRHers looked for mercury dimes and buffalo nickels, because most people didn't have the money to shell out for half dollar rolls. Heck! I only made $60 a week in the summers when I was in college from 1963 to 1967. How in the world could I afford rolls of halves! I needed my money to "party". with the "ladies"! I now read where many of you shell out hundreds...even thousands of dollars to order boxes of half dollars. Anyway.....to get back to CRHing. In response to a few of you, back in the late 60's and even the 70's, I never got a Seated Liberty or Barber Half in any rolls. I did get a very worn Barber about two years ago and a two 1952 commemoratives. That's it... and that was 2008! So there. I really believe that today is better times for CRHers. All the people that collected and hoarded coins back in the 1940's - 1960's are getting old or passed away and it's their children or wives that simply don't know any better and they roll them up and take them to the bank. If you happen to stop at that bank before another CRHer gets there then "BINGO....You hit the mother lode! Once again, I hope I'm not boring you with my thoughts, but just wanted to give you the old man's perspective. I love ya all....and yes! I want to see those great photos of your silver finds!
rileyboy
 
You are definitely not boring, thank you for sharing with us how it used to be. We need more posts like this.
 
Thanks, Mountainman. I appreciate that.
rileyboy
 
Thanks for sharing :icon_thumright: Always want to hear someone like you talking about the history.
I talked to a dentist who is about the same age as you are. He stopped collecting 20 yrs ago but he CRHed a lot when he was young. He has a complete set of walkers, some barbers, and a couple of seated halves. He has a lots of old dimes still because dime was the preferred domination he could afford back then. He also tried to get the 1955 DDO penny but never found one. He can't compare the half CRH now and then because he didn't do much back then and is not doing any now.
 
Back in the mid to late 60's when I was 7-10 years old, I'd go to my Grandmother's house and sometimes she would let me look through her BIG jar of pennies. I'd dump them out on the living room floor and go through them looking for older wheats. LOL I can remember picking out all of the 1943's and putting them in a pile to the side 'cause I didn't want them.
They had a Magnavox TV and one of the very first remote controls for it. It had only two buttons; on/off and channel change.
The "tinkling" of the pennies would sometimes turn the TV on and off.
To the best of my knowledge, she still has these pennies, but she is 800 miles away and in a nursing home. I doubt that whoever in my family is in charge of her affairs realizes the value...they probably just look at it as a bunch of pennies. Sigh.....

Scott
 
Great article Rileyboy. I Coin Roll Searched in the 70's as a kid doing pennies only for the family coin folder. I had a paper route and the bank was real close to the house. I searched for Wheat Backs. I worked at a gas station in high school and hit a lot of silver and wheat backs. One night a drunk guy came in with a can of about 10 dollars in wheaties and paid for his gas. I remember buying the can and taking it home with the coin book looking for key dates. There was no key dates or indian heads, but it was still a exciting find. Someone bought cigarettes once giving me two Franklin Halves. I searched all my paper route and gas station money for oldies, sometimes you went months without finding any, sometimes you had good runs.
 
DFX DAVE,
Thanks for your commments. Gives the younger CRHers, who are reading my posting, a bit of history from your point of view and actual experiences. You are right....paper routes were the thing back then. Let's hear some more from the older guys out there. I really enjoy what's being said here.
rileyboy
 
wow cool!!!
i am 13 and just started to CRH in southern new jersey!
i was wondering about sifting for coins under the boardwalk but i live about 30 minutes from the shore
anyway im getting my first two half boxes from brinks and i cant wait to search them
im glad that the silver is still here and im determined to find my own dream box one day!!!
 
the poster above resurfaced this post. What a great read!

I'm three decades younger than you and often wonder what it was like back then, with all that silver in circulation. That's really why I got into this hobby - not so much for the profit - but for the history lesson. I remember my grandfather giving me a 1922 Peace Dollar. He never said 'don't spend it' but I knew not to. Still have it. When I was a kid I'd collect strange looking coins (mostly wheats) and foreign change. My interest was recently renewed when I got a Buffalo nickel in change a few months ago. Been at it since.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories Rileyboy!

(btw, my dog's name is Riley. No offense by that, she's a great pup!)
 
Well, I will have to say that finds are not what they used to be at least for me. When I first did this 10 years ago, I hardly get skunk boxes. My finds weren't great but usually I'd get at least one keeper per box. Now half my boxes are skunks.
 
The boxes in my area are nowhere near as good as when I started CRHing a few years ago. Skunks were rare when I started, now finding silver is somewhat rare.

Silver coins being cashed in are not renewable resources like trees and such. Once grandpa's collection is cashed in at the bank it is gone. Unless CRHers' and investors' stashes get mistakenly cashed in when they die, eventually finding silver halves will be as rare as finding silver quarters are now, etc.

From what I have read, right now lots of silver junk bags are being melted to produce 100 ounce (and smaller) bars by some of the private mints who produce and sell silver to meet demand. I don't know if it is true or not, but if it is, that is less junk silver to find its way to banks and into rolls. This would make sense since currently the premiums on junk are low relative to .999 bars and rounds.

My bet is that the future CRHers are going to be searching for copper cents much like we search for silver halves and dimes. If silver keeps going up in price you will see the number of new CRHers skyrocket seemingly over night, even if they don't stay with the hobby for long.

Further, as we have seen from our fellow CRHers here, banks will continue over time to make CRHing activities more difficult through fees and/or refusing to order/allow dumps.

Enjoy it while it lasts if you have a good area to search.

My 2 cents.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom