What's new

Historical point of view for all CRHers

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
55
Golden Thread
0
I've been reading all the latest postings about the competition that seems to be mounting regarding CRH. Yes, I concur that there are a lot more people getting involved due to the rising price of silver.
However, let me try to give all of you a prospective on the up and down flow of the hobbie. I'm 64 years old (born in 1945) and started collecting coins back in the mid 1950's when my Grandfather gave me an 1837 seated liberty dime and told me never to spend it. I still have it today. Back then, each Christmas and birthday one of my aunts would give all of us nephews and nieces five silver dollars as gifts (and I mean real SILVER dollars.) I think I was the only one who ever saved them and still have them today. Remember, back then a dollar (any dollar, coin or paper) was worth a lot of money. I lived near the beach in New Jersey and can remember when me and my buddies would go under the boardwalk in late August to sift for coins that people inadvertantly dropped and fell threw through the cracks into the sand. We would get a ton of them in a day and then wind up spending them on hot dogs, ice cream and games. I often wonder if I ever found or spent a 1916D mercury dime. Who knows, because back then I had no idea what they were. Remember, there was no "clad" coins then. They were all SILVER! In high school from 1959 to 1963 we used to flip Walking Liberty coins as if they were pennies. In the fall of 1963, I was a freshman at the University of Tampa in Tampa, Fla. and on Monday Nov. 18th President Kennedy was on a motorcade threw the city. I watched him go by me only fifteen feet away. My God, there was the President of the United States so close to me. Four days later, he was shot and killed in Dallas. In 1964 when Congress approved the Kennedy Half Dollar, everyone and their brother wanted a roll of those coins, but in those days, $10 was a lot of money. I could almost live a whole week on that $10, but I got a roll and still have it today (BU Unc.). The price of silver was extremely low then. No one even thought of silver for great value. Actually, Buffalo nickels were the thing. I used to search rolls of nickels and almost everyone had at least 5 of them with readable dates. I saved a bunch of them, but a few years later (approx. 1968) I needed money, so had to get rid of them. I simply rolled them up and took them to the bank. Who knows if there were any good dates. Approximately 1979, I occasionally started looking through half dollar rolls and believe me there weren't as many silver halves as you might think. Almost everyone saved all their Walkers, Franklins and Kennedys back then. Times were good, people had jobs and the "Clads" were everywhere. Silver dimes and quarters had all but dried up. Kennedy 40%ers were still floating around, but not as much as you would think. People hoarded them because of who Kennedy was emotionally and they thought that some day they would be worth a lot of money. In 1980, when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market, many people cashed all their silver in at nearly $50 an oz. (remember, that was 30 years ago). Wish I did too, but many held on for greed thinking that silver would continue to go up. Well!....it crashed very suddenly back down to "peanuts". I often wonder how many silver coins were melted down back then. Anyway, most Americans continued to hoard their silver hoping it would go back up. Now, myself included, people from that era are all getting old. Times are tough and young people don't seem to have an interest in Grandpa's coin collection (in 2007, in NJ, I got 23 rolls of all Walkers and Franklins (turned in by someone who inherited them)....not a Kennedy in the bunch). I doubt that would have ever happened in 1980. So guess what......! all you young CRHers (me included because thank God I'm still alive) are now reaping the benefits due to hard times and people who don't know any better are simply turning in the old coins at banks or coin machines. Ala, you now find them in rolls or boxes. It will continue. It always has, but you just have to be the one who gets to the bank first or sweat and grunt searching boxes. In short, you young CRHers should know that CRHing back in the late 1970's and 1980's was about the same as it is today. Believe me, in 1980 finding 90% silver halves was almost the same as it is today. If there is anyone out there reading this that is my age, I'd like to know your thoughts on this subject. Again, I'm on the east coast in a heavily populated area. It could be different in less populated places (remember, there were a ton of gold mines in California, but none here!). As for the youngsters in this hobbie. Stop whining, hang in there and treat CRHing as "a hobbie, not a living." Nuff said. I'd like to read your thoughs. Hope I didn't bore you readers.
rileyboy
 
Upvote 0
I'm close to your age. AND grew up in NJ. AND was your competition under the boardwalk TOO. LOLOL. Oh yes, I remember those same days.

Now I am in AZ. And here there is VERY LITTLE silver. But i have stories. Stories mostly from ... New Jersey. About 10 years aago I took a metal detector to my grandmother's church. They were scraping off the dirt to put in a new sunday school building. It didn't interest me "much" until I heard that this was the area of the annual rummage sale and carnival. They had all sorts of games out there, in the dark, with dimes. Everything was a dime. So I took the machine and went searching. What did I find? NO surprise ... a few pennies, a few nickels and a LOT of dimes. ALL of them were from 1960 or older. LOTS of Mercury dimes (Maybe 20?) It was wonderful! Some from the 1930's. DO you know what was happening in Pheonix in 1930? yea, that's right. NOTHING. It was SMALL, and the metal detecting is just not as profitable here. And it is the same with silver. People have old things back east. My brother is in NJ. He has done exactly ONE box of halves in his LIFE, I told him about them over and over again, and he finally did one. He found a Walker half. PLus some other silver. Since then? "It was too much to return them to the bank,and roll the ones I did not want." So he has done none.

My sister lives back east. VA. She goes garage saling, and has found things that I find impossible to find. Silver halves from 1964 for $1 each. She bought TWO, and LEFT about 20 others! ARGH!! She finds things so cheap it amazes me. Out here? People move here when they retire, and they SELL everything from "back home" when they come out. Old coins are turned in - the bank back HOME - and then they come hre. It is getting better, as more people are now born here and things grow a little older, but it is not the east. I had a lady come to me once day when I was detecting. I showed her a wheat penny i found. She asked if that excited me. I said yes, because even though it was a penny it was old, and I thought it was COOL! I was maybe 35 at the time, so we are talking the 80s. She left, and 20 minutes later walked back to where I was. She brought me 1,000 wheat pennies she said she had in her house. She said "give me $10.00 for them, and we are even." SO COOL!

Things happen like that back east. Becuase it is OLDER. Not just the people, but the AREA. Things are older. People are old school.

I hope you enjoy it in Jersey. I came out west, and really I like it better out here. But for CRH or detecting, you can't beat the east coast.

ANyway, that's some of my stories. Loved yours. Let's swap more when we can. :-)
 
That's a pretty cool perspective. Thanks riley, looks like I haven't missed THAT much :laughing7:
 
I'm 55 and I hear ya!!!! You said it just like it is! Truth plain and simple. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
 
Yes !, finally some true long haul perspective ! I have been advocating this position for some time
now, and it is time that folks lighten up and calm down, and either enjoy the ride or take a hike .
Where does this sense of entitlement come from ? If you get anything over and above your
purchase value , give thanks ! I have been CRHing since 1970 -- and the finds now are as good
or better than they have ever been ! A good friend of mine also has been CRHing since the late
1960's - he concurrs with my opinion that the percentages are at least as good now as they
ever have been . Spare me the gripe about things falling off in your area over the last year or
two -- talk to me about 40 years - and we'll have an intelligent conversation ! If I sound pissed
you'd be right - I'm done with the endless parade of wankers on here who've nothing better to
do than bitch about how they can't find much in the way of nearly free silver . Have a nice day !
Argentium.
 
Argentium said:
Yes !, finally some true long haul perspective ! I have been advocating this position for some time
now, and it is time that folks lighten up and calm down, and either enjoy the ride or take a hike .
Where does this sense of entitlement come from ? If you get anything over and above your
purchase value , give thanks ! I have been CRHing since 1970 -- and the finds now are as good
or better than they have ever been ! A good friend of mine also has been CRHing since the late
1960's - he concurrs with my opinion that the percentages are at least as good now as they
ever have been . Spare me the gripe about things falling off in your area over the last year or
two -- talk to me about 40 years - and we'll have an intelligent conversation ! If I sound pissed
you'd be right - I'm done with the endless parade of wankers on here who've nothing better to
do than bitch about how they can't find much in the way of nearly free silver . Have a nice day !
Argentium.
Oh my Brother, Testify!!!!!!!! :icon_thumright:
 
What I don't understand is if they don't know what they are cashing in, then why 75% of the finds come from half dollars? Surely Pops wasn't just collecting halfs. I know dimes and quarters get pulled out because they are more easily reconizable. But it aint that hard to spot a silver half.....
 
jrf30....Thanks for your response. I grew up in Asbury Park, but don't live in NJ anymore. However, I do go back there often to see my 95 year old father and his sister (my aunt) who is 92. Good Italian blood. Last time I was there, I mentioned coin collecting to my aunt and she says, "Oh I have a lot of old half dollars and silver dollars. Are they worth anything?" I said, "Yes dear"... and the next time I'm here I'll go over them all with you so you know the value of what you have. Her daughter (my best cousin) was there and said, "see Ma, I told ya they are worth something." So...my point still stands. People everywhere have old coins, but I certainly agree with you that there are probably more on the east coast. You guys in Arizona have arrow heads! Ha. only kidding. Nice talking to you, jrf30, and I hope to see you under the boardwalk sometime. Those were the days. BTW...got lucky today. Only stopped at one bank and the teller had a beat up 1957-D Franklin in her tray. Somebody up there likes me.
rileyboy
 
nyiangelo said:
What I don't understand is if they don't know what they are cashing in, then why 75% of the finds come from half dollars? Surely Pops wasn't just collecting halfs. I know dimes and quarters get pulled out because they are more easily reconizable. But it aint that hard to spot a silver half.....


It is not about being recognizable, it is about demand and circulation. Halves are not circulating anymore. They are only sought after by CRHers. So they just sit in the coin courier storage and bank vaults until a CRHer asks for them. Dimes and quarters are used by businesses, who obtain rolls from their banks for "legitimate" purposes such as making change for customers. Some folks who get these silver dimes and quarters in their change recognize them as silver and keep them. Plus, there are no 40% coins in dimes and quarters, and unfortunately many know pre 65 coins are silver.

If halves circulated in everyday change how long do you think a Franklin or Walker would last?

Caveat to this is many still fail to know that Kennedy halves from 65 to 70 have some silver, thus the high number of 40%ers found relative to 90%ers.

Jim
 
nyiangelo said:
What I don't understand is if they don't know what they are cashing in, then why 75% of the finds come from half dollars? Surely Pops wasn't just collecting halfs. I know dimes and quarters get pulled out because they are more easily reconizable. But it aint that hard to spot a silver half.....

I was going to type up an example based on past experiences but just read the post below yours and you can see why halves turn up more often. More often then not halves were saved and the dimes, quarters were spent. I still have solid rolls of OBW 64's with my grandfathers writing on them.

Great thread.

HH,
65GT350
 
Nice stories. I still shake my head in amazement when I talk to my father about his CRH days in the early 60's. Kinda like your story, everything was silver then. It wasnt a big deal to hoard silver coins. He was looking for those key dates to the series and buffalo nickes. He collected quite a few Morgans and Peace dollars just by asking for silver dollars at the bank. It does put it all into perspective. Just wish I would have started 20 years earlier...
 
Jim4silver, I agree with you 100%
rileyboy
 
jim4silver said:
nyiangelo said:
What I don't understand is if they don't know what they are cashing in, then why 75% of the finds come from half dollars? Surely Pops wasn't just collecting halfs. I know dimes and quarters get pulled out because they are more easily reconizable. But it aint that hard to spot a silver half.....


It is not about being recognizable, it is about demand and circulation. Halves are not circulating anymore. They are only sought after by CRHers. So they just sit in the coin courier storage and bank vaults until a CRHer asks for them. Dimes and quarters are used by businesses, who obtain rolls from their banks for "legitimate" purposes such as making change for customers. Some folks who get these silver dimes and quarters in their change recognize them as silver and keep them. Plus, there are no 40% coins in dimes and quarters, and unfortunately many know pre 65 coins are silver.

If halves circulated in everyday change how long do you think a Franklin or Walker would last?

Caveat to this is many still fail to know that Kennedy halves from 65 to 70 have some silver, thus the high number of 40%ers found relative to 90%ers.

Jim
This is an outstanding post you started here rileyboy! really good stories! and to chime in as far as the halfs go, today I went to the gas station and the total was $20.30 so I hand the gal a twenty and then a clad Kennedy half dollar, I swear she turned it over and looked at it for around 20 seconds before she said "oh it's fifty cents" I honestly think she had never seen one before!


Chuck.
 
I know there's competition out there. Who cares, he's right people, this is a hobby. You'll find silver here and there,or may be get lucky and hit some solid rolls. I do this because it's something to keep me busy when there is nothing to do. Hobbies are fun, and in this day if you coin roll hunt, you still never know what you'll find. There will always be error coins and proofs to be found too. Honestly, the silver isn't the most valuable thing to find in coin hunting anyways, rare dates and some errors are worth way more money. You have to find a lot of silver for it to be very profitable. I don't even sell my silver, because I'm waiting for the day it sky rockets up. If it never happens, then guess what? It'll be my daughter's turn to hold the stash until it's time to get the big bucks. Don't do this hobby to just make money, you'll never make a living doing this. Have fun, be patient, don't worry about other people joining the hobby. Newbies don't know what to look for anyways. When I started coin hunting, I didn't even know the silver dates, hell I didn't even know what silver was worth. I just liked collecting coins, so I gave it a shot. So let's all keep our heads up and keep at it. I personally enjoy reading about all of your great finds. It gives me hope and more interest. And I know there is still plenty of silver to be found. I haven't found tons lately, but I haven't been skunked in weeks now. Good luck with your hunts everyone, may this wonderful hobby bless us all!
 
ahhhh memories.......i too used to mine coins from under the boardwalk. only i was in South Jersey and it was in the 70's. still found some silver coins but mostly clad. spent it all on junk.
 
Where were you at the boardwalk most of the time in Jersey?

We used to camp at a KOA campground in Pleasanton (or was that Pleasantville. No, I think that was the movie. Dang - been too many years!) every year, and spend the days at the beach. Mostly Brigitine. We also went to a few boardwalks, especially later in the day and the evening, when the rides were open. Even then, I drove my mother CRAZY by always wanting to be UNDER the boardwalk, instead of on top of it. She and my brother would want to go on some rides (Mostly him, of course) and buy taffy and cotton candy, and I'd want to go dig in the sand underneath to see what I could find.

I never thought of it that way, but I guess I had the bug even back then. :-)

Hey, did you guys ever go to Turtleback Zoo? How about Animal Safari in ... where was that ... Oakland I think? Palisades Park? jersey used to have SOOOO Many places to go to. Now they are all closed. Remember the tiny little city with little railroads running all over? The western town and entertainment across the border in Moosic, PA. (On the way to Hershey, PA) Now they have the big box equivalent in entertainment of Six Flags, but none of the small little things. Back then, little things like Turtleback Zoo used to be awesome for us little kids. :-)
 
at first it was mostly Wildwood and a few summers in Brigantine, then we got a house in Avalon but that boardwalk was small with no rides and so were the finds. so i would wait until my parents took us to Wildwood and i would go under the boardwalk while everyone else hit the boards and took in some rides. used to piss off the ol' man until he saw what i was finding then he didn't have much to say after that.
you were right the first time ...it is Pleasantville. pretty built up nowadays. don't know much about N. Jersey. the farthest i been north is Seaside and Seaside Heights
 
I've enjoyed reading all the responses to my post. Looks like I sort of started a "New Jersey" walk down memory lane. It's also nice to read what the younger guys have written here. Yes! jrf30 and mistergee, it was under the Asbury Park boardwalk that we all used to sift for coins. Also some of the smaller beach clubs in the area that had wooden slatted pavilions. Ice cream cones were a dime, Hot dogs were fifteen cents and a burger was a quarter, so there went all the "silver" coins we found. As I mentioned earlier, back then I knew nothing about rare dates or double dies etc., so I wonder now if I ever let a 1916-D, 1921 or 1921-D mercury dime or 1938-D walking liberty half slip threw my fingers.
Great times back then. But there are still great times to be had. Now let's all go find some "SILVER".
rileyboy
 
Great post Rileyboy, i spent my entire life in the Garden State but up North. Any of you remember a small attraction called Jungle Habitat. That was my neck of the woods growing up.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom