NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a week ago I ran into a girl I know who told me she had some "war stuff" her family found after an uncle had passed away, and asked if I might want to take a look at it. She said she had some German things, which caught my attention, but I tried not to get my hopes up, since the last "collection of WW2 stuff" I looked at tuned out some torn up American field gear that had seen a few too many camping trips....

So today I finally got my hands on it, and bought the stuff immediately. She also had a box of American patches which I arranged to research and sell for her, and there are a couple REALLY nice ones in there!

First the German gear : First off is a GENUINE (it's been disarmed) M-24 "potato masher" made in 1940, next is an "M-42" Stahlhelm, with the liner in wonderful condition, and though it's broken, it has the complete original chinstrap, and a gas mask and can, the mask is dated 1937 on the filter, and is really good shape, and the can is dated 44, with a broken strap. all in all a great set of gear!
grenade.jpg grenade1.jpg helmet2.jpg helmet.jpg mask.jpg mask2.jpg mask3.jpg

Next is the patches : I'm still researching some of them, trying to figure out which are WW2 era and which are later, and I need to get an idea of value on them so I can get her the best prices... So far there are a couple of nice ones that really stand out, one is the 8th Armored with the "theater made" "Thundering Herd" tab, which should be a $40 + patch, and the "theater made" Flying Tigers patch from the 14th USAAF which is hand embroidered... I've seen similar ones selling for hundreds of dollars....
patches.jpg patches2.jpg patches3.jpg patches4.jpg patches5.jpg patches6.jpg

So needless to say, my day is made, and we're about to grab a bag of oysters and get the grill going. HH to all!

Last edited:
Upvote 17

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
even though it's not found with a metal detector, it's an interesting "find" nonetheless !

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score! With all the markings...:icon_thumleft: That is some serious cash i would never take! Keep that stuff. Price will only go up!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great WWII bring backs , esp. like the AAF Flying tiger patch, potato masher & German Army helmet :occasion14:
I black lite the patches non glowers are 40's originals .

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool pieces of history!!!!!

Treasure Found

Greenie
Feb 14, 2015
St. Augustine
Detector(s) used
No
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure The blue and white stripe one is a medical battalion assigned to the 3rd infantry. Dad (from 94th infantry M276) always said
" Patton ole blood and gut's His gut's and OUR blood".

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure The blue and white stripe one is a medical battalion assigned to the 3rd infantry. Dad (from 94th infantry M276) always said
" Patton ole blood and gut's His gut's and OUR blood".

To the best of my knowledge it's a 3rd Infantry patch, I haven't heard of it being specifically Medic related, but I'll definitely look into it...

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You stumbled on a great collection. Love the helmet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread