Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Recently found 114 coins during 6 hours of metal detecting the west coast of Florida and posted finds on TreasureNet. A couple of days later, I had a chance to catalog the coins and lo-and-behold discovered a 1953 quarter! I have been searching east and west coast beaches of Florida for the past 5 years and have found roughly 3,000 – 3,500 coins. The silver 1953 quarter represents my first silver coin found. Although I have found numerous silver and gold jewelry pieces in the past 5 yrs, as a once young Numismatist, the silver quarter put a child’s smile on this wrinkled face.

022416 001.jpg

A 1953 silver quarter is shown next to a 1980 clad or sandwich quarter found during the same hunt. Both coins exhibit a deep patina; the silver quarter shows an almost chocolate-brown patina while the 1980 quarter shows a deep redish-brown patina reflecting the copper in the clad coin. Other than the rather subtle patina difference, without examining the date, it would be difficult to distinguish between the silver and clad quarters. Always look at the dates of your finds, you might be surprised! I sure was!!

Upvote 0
WTG ON THE SIL.
- ONE OF MY LAST TRIPS DOWN THERE - I PULLED A 1917 STAND LIB. ONE AND IT CAME OUT CHOCOLATE TOO-
IM USED TO FINDING BLACK ONES AND USUALLY CAKED ONES - THOUGHT IT WAS A CLAD AND JUST SNATCHED FROM SCOOPED AND THREW IN POUCH
WHEN I GOT BACK TO ROOM AND DUMPED OUT TO SEPARATE EVERY THING - DISCOVERED IT - BUT WISHED I HAD KNOWN WHEN I FOUND IT - WOULD HAVE SLOWED DOWN IN THAT AREA MORE

Silver is always welcome!

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

FOR ME ITS ALWAYS A GOOD SIGN - IF I FIND IT REALLY DEEP - IT MEANS OTHERS MISSED IT (OR HAVE NEVER HIT THERE)
IF I FIND IT SHALLOW (AS FAR AS COINS AND STERLING JEWELRY) - MEANS THERE MAY BE A BLOW OUT OR SAND HAS MOVED
OR MIGHT BE A VIRGIN SPOT ---AND WITH OLDER SILVER - ALWAYS THE HOPES OF OLDER GOLD

FOR ME ITS ALWAYS A GOOD SIGN - IF I FIND IT REALLY DEEP - IT MEANS OTHERS MISSED IT (OR HAVE NEVER HIT THERE)
IF I FIND IT SHALLOW (AS FAR AS COINS AND STERLING JEWELRY) - MEANS THERE MAY BE A BLOW OUT OR SAND HAS MOVED
OR MIGHT BE A VIRGIN SPOT ---AND WITH OLDER SILVER - ALWAYS THE HOPES OF OLDER GOLD

I agree. Beach had lots of the deeper black sand and most of the coins were heavily toned or, my favorite, green. Plan to go back tomorrow. Worker on beach said 18" of new sand may appear overnight on beach - in other words, work your butt of now and find that older gold! I just know it is there - hopefully show pics of gold finds this weekend.

This is a great post. I'd probably not even look twice because of the coloration and just assume it was clad. I would have expected it to be black.

Thank you for this post!

Congrats, you are doing well on the west coast. It took me 10 years to find a 1952 on the east coast. There are remarkably few out there on the beaches.

Last silver coin I found on the beach came from displaced sand from the broadwalk (yes broadwalk) being repaired. That was years ago.

Congrats on your first silver coin find , Lawrence; it's a nice one!:hello2:

I haven't been finding silver coins lately, but still trying

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back