hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home made Mackirk sluice.

Being from IN most everything I’ll be doing will most likely be in streams. I like the idea of the Angus Mackirk sluice but don’t have the money to drop on finding flour gold, if you know what I mean. So being a carpenter by trade and recently retired I have more time than money and can make just about anything out a wood. On the Mackirk web site there is a cross section of the riffle style they use. I cut and fashioned something similar out of wood and glued it to a 1 x 8. I added some 1/8 x 1/8 drop riffles before and after each one with the idea of these areas should be low pressure areas as the water is flowing over the riffs and should help catch smaller gold. Started the project today and will try to post pics soon. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it put together today, will seal and paint it tomorrow, here's some picks. The dimensions are 8"x36"x3-1/2" the riffles are 1/2"x2" set 2"apart. The small drop riffles in the deck and the one in the top of the wedge riffle are 1/8"x1/8". This is all by similar design of the Mackirk riffle. The only thing different is the distance between riffles. I think Mackirk's are actually back to back.

Attachments

• 100_0731.JPG
    100_0731.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 801
  • 100_0733.JPG
    100_0733.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 832
  • 100_0735.JPG
    100_0735.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,097
  • 100_0737.JPG
    100_0737.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 100_0738.JPG
    100_0738.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,945

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a Mackirk owner, I suggest you put some of your riffles at the same distance as on the original...you may be surprised to find it matters!

Best of luck, your woodworking looks impressive.

mus302

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2012
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice workmanship. Please update us once you have put some material through and let bus know how it does.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
once sealed, i think itll work fine! but id take that suggestion to place your riffels at the same distance as the McQuirk sluice on another sluice just like the one youve built to see if there is a difference in its fine gold captureing abilitys.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great repro job, but the wood with its sharp, well defined edges are not going to last very long. Even with a very tough urethane, they top edge will be ground down and beaten by rocks in the slurry. Probably one of the reasons that McKirk uses an extremely strong and resilient plastic resin in his sluices. But, there may be a way to create a wear resistant surface. Use a soft vinyl resin that is used to coat tool handles or shafts available at Lowe's or Home Depot. To resist abraison, hardness is the enemy. Ask any sandblaster... they all use a fairly soft and pliant rubber material to repel the high velocity sand or Plast-dip, see link below.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=vinyl spray&storeId=10051

Best of luck

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finished the sluice and had a chance to get it wet. Didn't have much luck with unclassified material. I"m sure it will do better w/classified and set up right (flow/pitch) but this was notwhat I was trying to accomplish. Maybe I was expecting the design was not intended to do all along.all
I'm not going to spend much more time in this direction. Been looking into the whole fluid box trap design and all the Bazooka home builds out there. Medium size Bazooka cost as opposed to a home build is worth a try. Thanks for looking guys.

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the compliment and I haven't given up on it yet . Going to make a funnel to direct increase water flow to see if this helps.
Might look OK...... just doesn't work. LOL

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could build this into funnel at the head of the sluice thanks I'll give it a try.
Going to pick up some material for a FB build today, got all kinds of ideas.

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man very nice work indeed. Skilled wood worker. With your design though it's not a true drop riffle, More like a riffle sluice cause the material is going up and over the ramp/riffle rather than running along flat then dropping in.
Old post, sorry.

Last edited:

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man thats good, keep working at it. I'm trying to make one myself. I made one and it kinda sucked, started a new one but I don't have the money for materials to build right now.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang Hunter, thats a really nice sluice! :)

Cant wait to see it in action.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread