What's new

Homemade Scoop? update

Bigcypresshunter

Sapphire Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
27,124
Reaction score
3,351
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
With the price of a big water scoop at over $150, I have entertained thoughts of making my own. I found this 3 quart stainless steel colander at WalMart. Im going to try and put a handle on it. Drill some bigger holes. What do yall think? Bad idea? lol
 

Attachments

  • MVC-005E.webp
    MVC-005E.webp
    8.4 KB · Views: 2,257
  • MVC-006E.webp
    MVC-006E.webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 2,200
Upvote 0
Re: Homemade Scoop?

LOL


Nice idea I think it will work :thumbsup: need a stiff pole on it
 
Re: Homemade Scoop?

After a few of these fall apart you will wish you spent the money for a real scoop. Still experience is the best teacher...........LOL.
 
Re: Homemade Scoop?

Well put sandman I have been Down the homemade scoop Lane and never want to go Back . the first time you kick down into the hand pan your gonna Crush it ,,,, but its a great thought and Idea .. Guzz1
 
Re: Homemade Scoop?

Sandman said:
After a few of these fall apart you will wish you spent the money for a real scoop. Still experience is the best teacher...........LOL.
lol ;D ;D ;D lol im sure youre right but i am going to try at it again. I made a decent one for dry sand back in the day when detectors didnt go very deep. :D
 
Re: Homemade Scoop?

Let us know how it works...
 
Re: Homemade Scoop?

Go for it!
I am in the process of making one for the loose sand.
 
Re: Homemade Scoop?

Considering the current popular designs, I would simply follow the pattern, buy the metal probably some stainless steel would be best. Drill the holes hammer it round, do some welding. It's not like the welds have to be perfect since your not likely to put that much pressure on them. You could try to do it in aluminum but the welding is allot more complicated. Heck you could even copy them in steel and get it galvanized or spray paint it frequently. even if it does rust that won't effect anything for awhile and you'll be saving around $140.00. I do allot of weldin around my farm that saves me big time $, but there's a guy in town that I betcha he'd only charge me some where around $50 bucks to put one together.
 
Re: Homemade Scoop?

Well, I put a wood handle on with two SS U-bolts and I would have to say it looks good and strong. :thumbsup:
All for under $20. Ready to try it on the beach. 8) Ill post pics tonite.
 
Re: Homemade Scoop?

I wish I had the time back that I used making my homemade scoops. but it was all part of the fun of the hobby for me at the time.
 
Re: Homemade Scoop?

I  wish  you  a lot  of luck tomorrow  with  your new  scoop.  Make sure  you bring a  spare  so  you  don't have  to  cut you  hunt  short . I just hope  you scoop doesn't  end  up Like  the franken brute in 2 peaces handle and basket .. This  is what  happen to  me  today ;D ;D ;D ;D and  had  no  spare  with  me .  Guzz1
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5984.webp
    IMG_5984.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,850
  • IMG_5986.webp
    IMG_5986.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,838
  • IMG_5988.webp
    IMG_5988.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,835
Re: Homemade Scoop?

Is that homemade or did you pay for that monster? :D :wink: ...sorry it broke.
 
Re: Homemade Scoop?

Ok here are the pics.colender walmart.webp

The first thing i did was knock off the handle and eye hook. I bought 2 SS U-bolts from Home Depot, drilled the holes through the strongest part of the base and bolted on a wooden section of closet rod for a handle.
colender walmart.webp

It looks good. I pounded out the lip on the forward side for better digging. I tried it in my backyard and it appears to be surprisingly strong. MVC-010E.webp MVC-008E.webp

One last thing- I attached the previously removed eye hook under one of the u-bolts for a nice hanger.

No welding was needed and from start to finish it took less than one hour for assembly. I might need to drill some more holes but I will try it in the water first. A stainless steel beach scoop for $20? Is it possible?
MVC-009E.webp
 

Attachments

  • MVC-007E.webp
    MVC-007E.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 2,005
Re: Homemade Scoop?

Guzz1 - you're not supposed to cut down trees with it are you?
Or dig coral. Gosh that looked good for a dry sand scoop.

Sandman - some of us like to play in the sand. Sorry you didn't have much fun.

Bigcypresshunter - awaiting evaluation... looks good to me although the plastic ones I want to make and sell
would be not wanted if yours works. LOL I still wish you luck.
 
Re: Homemade Scoop?

hey Grey digger Actually its a great water scoop ...Im going to take it to the weld shop this morning the scoop is the original prototype for the beach brute 1 it was made about 10 years ago.. looks really heavy but its not .5 pounds maybe. I was in some heavy mud when I snapped it.... Im going to brace it up really well so it won't happen again... Guzz
 
Re: Homemade Scoop?

Cypress hunter Let us know how she does ,,, I got say you did a good job on that ... Good luck...Guzz1
 
This is for all the naysayers lol. I finally got to test the scoop in the water at the beach today and guess what? It worked well. The obvious problem is the holes. They are way to small. I need to drill them out larger and/or add some more. The beach sand here has a lot of chunky shell and rock pieces in it and even the sand took too much shaking to get it sifted out.

But the important thing is the strength. This scoop is STRONG. ;D I dont think I can bend it. The sharp edge dug in well with my foot behind it. It floats upright with the wood handle. It could be a bit larger. I will look for a larger collender.

But all and all it looks very promising. ;D 8)
 
of course I'm just joking about the naysayers. I had a lot of laughs at the beach from my "callender on a stick".

Its going to take a lot of work to drill the holes larger. :'(
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom