What's new

Hook and line sinker

mainejman

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
1,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This I believe to be a hook and line sinker...It is very unique to me as its the first weight I have found where the groove was made vertically.It has the nipple on the bottom like others I've found....mjm IMG_20140919_164302_390-1.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20140919_164302_390-1.webp
    IMG_20140919_164302_390-1.webp
    15 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0
Here's one that should have everyone scratching their heads.. It's made from pottery

704223d1347554521t-since-i-joined-t-net-forumrunner_20121123_183318.webp
 
image.webpSuggested hafting of a plummet as a fishing weight. And one from Maine that at least would not slip off a line. Finally, a plummet with knob AND groove.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    73 KB · Views: 69
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    80.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    103.5 KB · Views: 66
In my opinion the method of creating an attachment point is common among many of these.... but I believe that's the extent of it in several cases as they appear to have served completely different purposes to me
 
Here's a big hardstone example from RI. 7 1/2", but hard to imagine a secure lashing on that knob. The others are all from Maine and in the 6-8" size range. There was clearly more then one usage for the class of artifacts collectors call plummets.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    98.9 KB · Views: 69
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    77.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Most of these items where tied on with plant fiber, rawhide and water does not mix. Were leather would slip off or get to soft, plant fiber was much stronger cordage and could last much longer in water since it has a high water content. Also plant fiber that has been twisted into a multi strand cord is real strong for something that can be as small has modern fishing line. Real nice artifacts guys:notworthy:
 
Nice Plummets...... I have read where some were weights and some were thought to be Pendants. Nice examples guys
 
Hernando Co., FL

 
Somewhere on here recently the topic of plummets came up, and there was a nice link to some research work done in the southeast, GA or FL I think. Their theory is that gorget's were used as weights on weaving "looms", and they put up a good argument for their theory. I have only found one damaged plummet here, and it was no where near a body of water that I would expect a "weight" of that size to be needed?
 
I personally agree with a good bit of that theory.
I think not necessarily a loom but even utilized to spin a few fiber threads together.
I think it could have been something carried as part of a toolkit
 
Today, it's not uncommon for people to use $25.00-$30.00 lures. In prehistoric times, I would think any thing to stop a growling belly got tossed, with hopes of retrieving the tossed item along with some food. Win win situation!
 
I hear where you're coming from but then you can drive to the tackle shop and get another one.
A lot of the grooves and small protrusions on these would never hold onto cord while a fish was pulling and thrashing around.
A simple piece of sandstone or even down here a shell with a hole would work... I can't see taking exotic material spending a whole lot of time on it... Then making a weak attachment point and tossing it in the water
 
I hear where you're coming from but then you can drive to the tackle shop and get another one. A lot of the grooves and small protrusions on these would never hold onto cord while a fish was pulling and thrashing around. A simple piece of sandstone or even down here a shell with a hole would work... I can't see taking exotic material spending a whole lot of time on it... Then making a weak attachment point and tossing it in the water
I honestly agree with you. However, for fun debate, what was time in those days, if it weren't money? That goes for today as well, I suppose. Like I said, I have a hard time believing these were used as fishing weights. However, the fishing weight theory does hold some plausibility.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom